IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love spinners, I love spinners and I love spinners!

Did I mention I love spinners?

What a couple of great days of fishing for my boat. Friday I was up in the gorge with XTC and Bodey. Today I was out with my wife, Kristel, Cracker Joe and his wife, Mary.

Things really started for me on Thursday evening as I bought some stuff to make my own spinners. My wife had a few friends over so I sat out in the boat in the front yard, had a few adult beverages and gave spinner making a shot. I ended up with 3 spinners made and 4 beers consumed. They were a little rough but looked decent and I thought I would give them a shot in the morning.

Got up to the Fishery with XTC and we met Bodey and hit the water. We anchored up on the shad rack. I was a little better prepared this time for the anchor game up there as I added 15’ of heavy chain to my existing 8’. We set anchor in 21’ first and it held! Problem was they were letting a lot more water out of the dam and we determined the current was a little strong so Chris got to pulling up all that rope and chain. Poor guy, that really looked like a work out!

We ended up in about 14’ and got our spinners out. I decided to use one of the spinners I made the night before. XTC gave me a little chuckle but was supportive saying they looked ok. Well Mr. Chinook thought my spinner looked like a tasty Dorito! When this little piggy hit he buried the pole so deep I had a problem getting out and when I did he was half way back to the fishery. After an awesome fight this 30+ chromer came to the net.

Get back up on anchor and after a while Chris’s rod takes a dive and he gets this chrome keeper of 21 lbs!

Not bad about 45 minutes and two fish. The next several hours were DEAD! We had a couple other serious drivebys but nothing stuck then right before we were getting ready to leave another angry Chinook decided to attack my spinner.

We ended the day fairly early around 1 PM with 3 fish, 2 on the spinners I made. What a thrill getting fish on your own creation. I am definitely hooked on building these things!

That’s right you are looking at a TCM (Team Carrot Milk) Special with our secret carrot milk on the hook. Mr. Chinook cannot resist! Mmmmmmmmmm carrot milk!

Today Cracker Joe and I took our better halves out to the St. Helens area. We cheated things a little because we had to secure the kids at the sitter and did not get out and fishing till around 8:30 AM. When we got out there I spied my buddy Small Fry fishing one of my haunts and he told me it had been dead so I headed out to 21 feet of water and anchored next to what turned out to be another Ifisher, Diehard! Nice to meet you guys!

I figured there was no way we were going to catch anything because of our late arrival and things looked dead. Oh well I figured we could set the poles out, I could show Cracker Joe how to build some spinners, we could BBQ and head home. The weather sure was nice.

Cracker Joe and I got everything out and started building some spinners when we heard that familiar Calcutta clicker song singing like a lark… FISH ON! For what this guy lacked in size he made up for in fight and decided he wanted to make a home under the boat! He finally came up and we got this quick pic before a perfect release.

Ok, I thought, days not a waste. We sit back down and just start to relax… Zzzzzzzzzt! Zzzzzzzzt! I love it Calcutta sings again. This one goes to my lovely bride and it was a brute. It fought her upstream, downstream, shallow, deep and under the boat. She was rewarded with this chrome pig that weighed in at just over 27 lbs!

OK time for celebration and BBQ…. Zzzzzzzzzzzzt! Zzzzzzzzzt! FISH ON! It was Mary’s turn and she fought this little piggy like a pro. A while later this brute surfaced to give us our spinner back and pose for a quick picture.

All this time my new Ifish buddy Diehard and his friend just sat and watched, and they had to smell the BBQ. As we were pulling out I asked them if they wanted one of our spinners, “You giving them away?” he asked. Yep! We pulled anchor motored over and tossed it to him. When he caught it is rod dipped a little and I thought he bumped it, then it buried. I pointed to his rod and yelled “FISH ON”. They ended up landing a nice nate. I hope you guys caught some more.

All our fish were caught on my homemade spinners with blood red beads, gold blade tipped with blood red prism tape except for one which was caught on a pink tip rainbow spinner with pink beads. I love spinners because all the fish I ahve hooked have been right in the lip and making the release nice and easy. I also seem to have a very high stirke to hookup ratio with spinners compared to Kwikfish. Now is the time to get out there and get some fish. I am figuring it is only going to get better then August comes… I cant wait.

Now I am going to make some more spinners!

[ 06-28-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice job on those fish.Maybe one of these days i can go along and you can show me how thats done. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ok Shane...i'll bite..Was the blood red beads on that spinner the same as the blood spewing out of that Nates mouth?? :shocked: :shrug: I'm glad you are catching fish.. :hoboy: keep those un-clipped fish in the water.

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Nice Job Shane and Co.

You guys going to hit it tomorrow again?? We went up to Bonneville today and it was pretty dead from where we were sitting. They were messing with the water too much and I think it put the fish off the bite. What do I know????? We thought about hitting it tomorrow in that second vicinity.

Congrats!!!

[ 06-28-2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Oh great Louis, now you're a Hater
You're supposed to write "ooooooh" and "aaaaahhhhh" :laugh:

Shane, I can't tell if that's your drool or the fishes protective slime on your shirt! :bowdown:

[ 06-28-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Another great post Shane; :cheers: What was that carrot milk recipe again??? :grin: I know you said you've posted it before but me's can't find it. I think you could catch fish with a coat hanger and carrot milk.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Salmonator, Forgive me :blush: ..Shane..Oooo..Ahh...i'm really not a hater...maybe hated..i tend to speak my peace when i have concern :rolleyes:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Louis,

The hook was on the outside of that one fishes mouth, the blood was not coming from the gills just from the hole in its lip. It stopped pretty fast when I revived him and he swam right off. :grin: And you say what you think... naw that aint you :tongue: :wink:

I know there are always people that question taking the fish out of the water for a photo but when we do it the fish is out of the water only seconds. We get the fish in the net, remove the hook, ready the camera and get a quick photo after pulling from the net before reviving the fish for release. I use a shallow, rubber coated catch and release net. I really dont think it is worse than the seal bites that 90% of these fish have or netters ripping them out of the water and tossing them back. We take the utmost care of the fish and will not photograph a fish if it is thrashing and will not cooperate.

:cheers:

·
Registered
318 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
I bow before Team Carrot Milk.

From a guy who has yet to catch ANYTHING this year.....

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smmmmmoooooch :rolleyes: :grin:

Boater thats Cracker Joe's wife, Mary and I dont know what her tat is :whazzup:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
So much for being the second baot to launch this morning. I guess we just didn't have it today. I knew we should have stayed a bit longer. Thanks for the spinner. I will savor it always. Next time it will be different. I figured having my son out today and still tying to get him in to his first salmon we might get lucky. It was good to see you and the gang. By the way NICE FISH!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nice fish. I always enjoy your ptictures, it just seems too bad that there always has to be a derogatory comment from somebody. I wanted to post some pictures of some C&R sturgeon from Astoria, but didn't want to listen to the same whiners that you have to. Its nice that you are always able to get others in to fish. Keep it up.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Love the pics and the TCM beads :laugh:

Great to hear and see you guys go from one run to the next! Are you picking anyfish up without the Carrot Milk?
Keep posting. Love the pics! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts