IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't fish at all last year due to neck surgery, and now all my Pro-Cure and other scents are all more than three or four years old, so I'm looking to replace them all.

What are your top five scent recommendations, regardless of manufacturer? Just thought I would avail myself of the collective wisdom of y'all.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I use super gels on hardware, and oils and water soluble on baits. I am going to try some Pautzke Tuna, Shrimp, and Anise gel this year to compare. Bang…
Bloody Tuna
Bloody Tuna with Anise
Addicted Salmon Blend
Salmon Slammer
Shrimp
Krill
Herring
Sardine

·
Registered
937 Posts
This year anise and garlic have worked equally well. I buy the anise from the baking aisle in a supermarket and chop garlic and add it to my salt brine. So I have two selections of bait...one with bluing, salt and anise, the other with garlic, salt and bad azz chartreuse dye. That being said, I still think it just gets down to putting bait in front of a biter.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I didn't fish at all last year due to neck surgery, and now all my Pro-Cure and other scents are all more than three or four years old, so I'm looking to replace them all.

What are your top five scent recommendations, regardless of manufacturer? Just thought I would avail myself of the collective wisdom of y'all.

TIA.
First thing, open them up and sniff. If they still smell like they are supposed to, they may be fine. If they just smell like oil...pitch 'em.

This is not in order (varies depending on what I am fishing for).

Krill, Anise, Tuna, Garlic

I use others from time to time, but these 4 are my go to. I think scent helps, except when it doesn't.

Or to look at it another way - scent always matters 50% of the time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. WD-40.

I spend my effort getting scent off my gear with dish detergent.
Complete agreement on that. If you ever put garlic bloody tuna on a plug. Seems like it smells like garlic forever even after multiple lemon joy baths and scrubs. I’m guilty of using scents but I don’t think they really matter.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Before you throw them away, call Pro Cure and ask about whether they need to be tossed, or I'll tell you what they told me. Unless they smell rancid, it's all good. If it hasn't been roasting in a box in the sun, and been kept in a shady spot like the garage, they should all still work fine. If you have any doubts, give them to me before you toss them.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A few years ago I recall Bob Ross saying something about using patchouli for scent. He seems to do pretty well so I figured I'd give it a try. I was fishing anchored in the upper river and had a homemade spinner with a drop or two of patchouli on it. Five minutes later I had a nice clipped steelhead in the box...wow, i might be on to something! I stayed with that spinner and scent for that day and a few trips afterward, never getting a sniff. What I did get though for half a season was a boat that smelled like a head shop.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts