IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
When I was a kid there was a student that had just moved from Germany to the US. Alan from Düsseldorf. First week of school the teacher pairs him up with me to show him around. I invite him over to my house to play after school. Alan shows up in slacks and a nice shirt and a tie. It was 1966 so that was fairly normal but not for playing. The neighbor has a bunch of huge horse chestnut trees on the property line between our houses. Those big horse chestnuts were the preferred ammo of the neighbor kids for war games. We would grab metal trash can lids to use for shields. Ol Alan was yelling what sounded like “otch” every time he got peppered in the head with a chestnut. I spotted a big beehive in one of the trees. Being a fan of cartoons I assumed it was full of honey. I convinced Alan to climb the tree with me to retrieve the hive. His English wasn’t that good but he understood the plan. Climb up to the branch with the hive on it and bounce up and down until the hive fell. Up we go. We get on the branch and start jumping and the hive explodes with bees. I had also seen that in the cartoons and I I knew it was time to get outta there. I got nailed a few times on the way down. After I got out of the tree all I saw was kids running in every direction. I looked up an old Alan didn’t move quite fast enough. By the time he did hit the ground his head was covered with hornets. I whacked the ones clinging to him with my shirt but the damage was done. He ran home and I could hear him crying for a block. His mom called my mom and ol Alan had been stung more than 50 times according to the Dr. At the hospital. I had to go over and apologize. Alan’s head was swollen the size of a 5 gallon bucket. He couldn’t come over and play anymore.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
OK, years ago I was camped at the mouth of the Deschutes under the railroad tunnel when there was camping allowed there. The last day i rolled up everything in my tent and then started sweeping it out. Holy Crud there was a scorpion in the tent. A buddy (i wasn't going back in) went in and scooped it up in a mason jar and took it home (Bend area). He rented a "mother in law" cabin on some property. Gave it to his landlords son (about 12yrs) for show and tell at school. Needless to say it did not go over well. He was told NO scorpions, No black widows, No rattlesnakes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’ll tell you this. The best damn “flyswatter“ is a lightweight badminton racket. Get them right out mid flight. Dices them up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don’t really care if I drink a fruit fly in my coffee. For some reason just not gross at all.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,348 Posts
On my phone so don't want to type out a long story.. But when I was 10 growing up on the farm in Central Washington, I got bit on my right hand by a rattlesnake that was in our sheep pen. Turns out they don't like being picked up even if you think they're a baby bull snake.

Spent a week in the hospital. Could barely walk for almost a month. Right side of my body was swollen and purple for weeks.

Rated: 0/10. Do not recommend.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, years ago I was camped at the mouth of the Deschutes under the railroad tunnel when there was camping allowed there. The last day i rolled up everything in my tent and then started sweeping it out. Holy Crud there was a scorpion in the tent. A buddy (i wasn't going back in) went in and scooped it up in a mason jar and took it home (Bend area). He rented a "mother in law" cabin on some property. Gave it to his landlords son (about 12yrs) for show and tell at school. Needless to say it did not go over well. He was told NO scorpions, No black widows, No rattlesnakes.
Started this thread because of one of bug stories is scorpion related .

My uncle and his wife remodeled an older home on our Ranch road .Old old house ,they lifted it up a built a floor under the original floor .I did lots of excavation work ,forestry , Hvac etc.No problems .
They move in and my aunt Billi becomes the scorpion magnet .Kept hearing of all the scorpions they find in their house .This went on for years.They came up to our house for a visit and as usual asked how the scorpion situation was 😂.My wife and I walked them out after our visit ,walked by where my aunt was siting on our coach , there he was on the top of the coach looking at me , exactly where her sweater was 😳🤔.Her grand kids found a large stump that was loaded with them?

Another uncle ,left his pants on his bedroom floor , got a call on the fire phone ,when he was putting his jeans on something was wrong .he thought it was a sticker , scorpion got close to the tool bag😂,he said was no big deal .

I had an outdoor shower , would use it after work , and after skinning .Slipped my foot into my water shoes ,was a scorpion in the shoe ..got me on top of the foot was a little itchy ,no big deal

·
Registered
107 Posts
Back when I was in my early teens, I was helping my dad clean up some junk around the property. There was an old door laying on the ground in some dry grass.

When I lifted the door up on its side I looked down and no more than 1 foot from my leg was the biggest damn rattler I've ever seen!

The rattler was coiled and just starting to rattle his tail a bit when I dropped the door and proceeded to levitated about 5 ft Backwards!!
I must have ran about a hundred yards yelling snake Snake before the adrenaline finally settled down enough that I could catch my breath and tell my dad what happened.
Luckily I think the rattler was in a dormant State and probably sleeping under the door and never did strike at me.
My dad went and got the 22 rifle and dispatched the big rattler.
If I remember right, that snake was almost 6 ft long and had about 19 rattles on it!
My dad and I decided to make a little Father and son project out of it and proceeded to skin the snake and tan the hide.
To this day I'll never lift any object off the ground without a long stick to make sure nothing's under it!

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Ok I’ve probably told this before but my wife loves telling this one.

When my son was young he got stung by a hornet from a ground nest in my front yard. Of course I was therefore on a mission of revenge and eradication.

Did I mention I’m a bit paranoid about yellow jackets/wasps? It harkens back to my youth when I used an axe to chop a dead tree that
happened to be attached via roots to a stump full of wasps. As I chopped the tree I marveled at how many flies were out. Until one landed on my glasses and showed me his yellow and black bands and I ran screaming away from the swarm without any stings, but with a newfound irrational fear of stinging insects.

Back to the story. I crept down the front yard slope of ground junipers and spotted the hole where the offending wasps/hornets/ yellowjackets/whatever evil insects were entering and exiting. I zeroed in on the scene of the crime and plotted my revenge against the attackers of my family.

I bought wasp killer foaming spray. The instructions said to spray at night.

That night I made a mound of poisonous whipped cream looking spray foam over the entrance hole. HA! These wasps are toast! That’s whatcha get for stinging MY son!!

Came home from work the next afternoon and eagerly ran to the side yard to see the results of my eradication. AND… watched a steady stream of winged devils flying in and out of the same hole I’d previously piled with methylethyldeath killyounow poison foam. What The Fudge! I can fix this.

Clearly the night advice from the manufacturer was flawed. We must attack the enemy while they are active.

Luckily I had some tyvek coveralls in my garage.
Luckily I had goggles to go over the hood on the coveralls.
Luckily I had nitrile gloves among my fishing gear.
My wife loves re-telling the next part. It happened after work on the next hot summer day after my failed night attempt.
I walked down the slope of the yard to the ground nest. I looked like an astronaut in my Tyvek and gloves and goggles. Julie admired my progress from a safe distance. She might or might not have already been mocking me.

NOW! I spray a pile of whipped-cream-of-death atop the entrance hole of the ground nest! HAH!
Nothing happens.

I decide I should agitate the wasps so they will encounter the cone-of-death. I shall stomp upon the ground! Genius!!

And I make it so.

I stomp upon the ground next to the pile of insecticide foam upon the entrance hole of the ground nest of the hornets that stung MY PRECIOUS SON.

And the hornets come boiling out of the ground out of the OTHER hole in the ground. Note to everyone: there is never a single entrance to a nest.

I, of course, did not know this in advance, so the hundreds of wasps boiling out of the ground next to me was not an “anticipated event” and I was not mentally prepared for it.

Although it is doubtful the jet spray of the wasp killer spray actually accelerated my departure from the scene, it is indisputable that I screamed like a little girl, aimed the big spray behind me like a jet engine, and exited stage left, while my wife came near to succumbing to hysteric laughter.

In my defense, when I stopped running and screaming I did have a hornet on my hand, trying and failing to sting me through my Costco nitrile glove.

To end this story properly, I later advanced upon the second nest entrance and piled it high with wasp whipped cream and caused the entire nest to cease operations in my zip code. So all ended well.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Growing up I was outside all of the time. I enjoyed catching bees, yellow jackets, bumble bees, etc with my hands and putting them in a Mason jar with holes in it. Yes, I got stung from time to time, but mostly, they didn't bother me. I let them go at the end of the day. Fwiw, I was also not allergic to poison ivy and oak, and literally could roll in it with no issues.

I rarely saw snakes out hunting as a teen. I do remember one time that I was out squirrel hunting. Yep, squirrel hunting counts for hunting where I grew up. Any way, I was walking down a trail and saw movement. I looked down and there was a large copper head ready to strike. Instinctually I shot it with my shotgun and severed it's head which bit over and over missing it's target. Not proud, not sad, but that's the story.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was in FL as a kid with a buddy we decided to build a pillbox on the beach and play Omaha beach. We had it about constructed out of palm driftwood until I picked one up that was half buried and started to carry it. By the time I realized it was a fire ant nest I was covered. They don't let go when you hit the salt, they just latch on and you have to get the off.
Same buddy stepped on a yellowjacket nest when we were out on patrol in the woods behind his house, luckily I escaped but I remember it was like a cartoon of yellowjackets flying after him, he probably got 50 stings.

High school we had a beater community Frankenstein bike we used for ghost riding down hills, jumping, skitching etc. Couple buddies were across the road in the woods and one guy takes the bike and throws it at a rotten tree and you guessed it....bees. We saw them coming and waving funny. We figured it out right before they got to us and hid in the truck while everyone is pulling their shirts off to get the bees out and swatting bees.

Not like that taught us anything, our posse used flaming arrows, paintball guns and chunks of firewood on bee hives after that.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Yellow jackets are the worst!!!

This was probably 20 years ago or so now. I was out hunting with my family and I got nominated to go work the trees while they sat watching the clear cut waiting for me to kick something out. I had worked throu most of the timber patch and was about 75 yards from the edge and figured I'd stop and wait for a few minutes before making my exit. Well what I didn't see was the underground yellow jacket nest that was in the far side of the log that I was standing on. After about 10 seconds I had a swarm coming after me. They got up in my jacket and hat. I knock my hat off, drop my rifle and take off running. Dumping my backpack and jacket on my way out of the trees. Met up with my brother and he was asking me what happened. We gave it about an hour before going back in to retrieve all of my stuff. The hat almost got left behind, when I knocked it off it landed about a foot from the hive entrance. We found a 20' or so long pole and we were able to get it back without getting stung.

·
Registered
42,328 Posts
Was riding my motorcycle and went through a Honeybee swarm. One splattered on my mouth and by golly, they taste good. Was full of honey.

Have told before. Happened to a friend. He was tent camping up at Ollalie Lake. A young couple had grabbed a spot next to his tent. He was out the next day, walking the trail and casting from shore. He noticed he had a pressing matter to take care of so went back in the brush well off the trail. Somewhere in the process he'd disturbed a nest of yellow jackets directly below. Yes, he was caught with his pants down as they say. He got hit pretty bad and somehow made it out of the brush and back to the trail. Pants still down, doing a self examination for damage and pulling stingers out of the tea bag and surrounding area. Just so happens, that young couple who'd camped next to him appear on the trail, not able to fully grasp the situation. They took off. When friend got back to his tent, he noticed his neighbors had packed up and fled from the pervert camped next to them.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Bugs/Snakes have never really bothered me...I've been known to chase people around with them that are very afraid...so much amusement out of that haha.

Doing some weeding back in the day for some cash I saw a bee come out of a ground hole...decided to wack it and it's buddies as they came out with a leather glove....bad idea. I was wearing basketball shorts at the time and had some fly up my leg and started biting and stinging all over...I think I ended up with 10 total sting/bites...not pleasant.

I think the one that scared me the most was putting my hand under the ol' jeep latch to open up the door...hornet nest on the other side and when I pulled my hand back I had 5 on my hand...freaked me out...didn't get stung, though!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you have arthritis bee stings are the best medicine. I keep honey bees and get stung intentionally every 90 days or so. Minor Arthritis is gone from my hands. Yellow jackets and hornet stings work too the effect is not as long.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've got two for you guys that stand out the most. My childhood was in northern california (Moved to oregon at 11). About the age of 5 I always road my little plastic 3 wheel bike down this hill close to where I lived, if was going fast enough I could slide it left to right essentially drifting down this hill. One day I slide a little too far caught the edge of the road and immediately rolled about 15-20 feet off the road. I rolled directly over a massive red ant hill and they covered me in seconds as I slowly tried to get up. Being a 5 year old on a summer day, I was wearing shorts and a tank top(no shoes always). Crying my eyes out I make the walk about 5 minutes home and my mother threw me in the shower and used a wash rag to get them all off me. Probably 200+ bites I looked like I had chicken pox for days.
About a year later 6 years old i'm spending my day catching lizards and snakes. I corner a giant alligator lizard, biggest i've ever seen. This thing lunges up and grabs my crotch, I freak out and run inside with this thing still clamped on, my sister was the first to see and all she can manage to do is scream for my mom. Ended up back outside spraying it with a hose and hitting with a spatula to get it off.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I was a snake kid growing up so never was scared of them. We were camping and atving with some friends in Oregon high desert. We never seem to see too many snakes out there. Anyways our friends are deathly afraid of snakes so you know where this is going. Wife, dog and I are putting along in our side by side and there lies a big bull snake(gopher snake to some). Wife see's it and yells "get it, get it" so what's a guy to do other than jump out and chase it down. It was hot out and the snake was pretty frisky. Was fairly rocky and I didn't want to hurt it so took awhile to get it safely under foot while I attempted to determine what mood it was in (those things are either mean or nice). About that time our friends who were following us pulled up. I looked up to see them about the time it recoiled and latched onto my bare leg. Of course I screamed like a little girl and jumped in the air. Me going one way and snake the other. They were rolling laughing(as was I). Never gonna live that one down. They kept saying "see that's why you don't mess with snakes".

1 - 20 of 47 Posts