1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please offer your favorite sturgeon recipe! Here
is one my wife and I have enjoyed...Serving 4, 2
large sturgeon fillets,3 tablespoons olive oil,
1 thick slice ginger root, finely chopped, one half of medium line juice, salt and pepper. In non
reactive pan, put oil, ginger, garlic,lime juice
and salt & pepper. Add fish and coat with marinade, cover and let stand 2 hours or more,
stirring 1 or 2 times. Start barbecue, remove
excess marinade from fish, cook directly on grill,
12 minutes per 1" thickness, Turn once.

Bite me, Mr Sturgeon!
Saltwater Cowboy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ok heres one my neighbor passed on to me...

Get one of those wire camp fire grills ( two halves that clamp together with a handle, you just hold it over the fire type of thingy-you can cook hamburger patties or chicken in it etc.). Open up the griller and layer one half with bacon. Take a few sturgeon steaks that have been lightly marinaded in Teryaki sauce and sprinkled with lemon pepper, lay them on top of the bacon slices. Then put a layer of bacon slices on top of the steaks and clamp the griller closed. Now lay the griller on your BBQ turning occasionally until the bacon is well cooked and then you're ready for some great tasting fish.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Sturgeon Piccata, It's aswesome,(if you like lemon and capers)and so easy to make.
Broil the meat with a little pepper and butter on top, careful not to overcook.
Sauce is the classic piccata sauce.
In sauce pan add white, lemon juice, pepper, and capers with soe of the juice.
Bring to simmer, and add some corn starch.
Corn starch should be added to a little cold water
till a thick liquid. Add to the sauce after the heat is turned off, stir till the sauce thickens slightly. If too thick, and a little more wine.
Pour over the fish and garnish with a lemon slice.
Very easy, the flavors compliment the meat perfectly. I made thisfor my wife on our first date, notice that I said "my wife".
I've made this recipe many times, and it's always a hit with folks.
Enjoy!
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Take your Sturgeon and wrap it in foil. Pour Paul Newmans Own Italian Dressing on top with some sliced lemons and onions if you like. Make sure to shake the bottle well before pouring. Close the foil and put on the BBQ. Cooking time varies with thickness of fillet.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Cut sturgeon fillet cross grain about 14" thick.
In a skillet melt 1 cube of butter/margerine.
Crush 1 medium sized garlic bulb and add to melted butter.
Heat butter and garlic to very hot, but not hot enough to burn the butter.
Cook sturgeon fillets on bith sides until they turn white (not long, maybe a couple minutes per side at the most), DONT OVERCOOK.

Boney appetite................mmmmmm good.

JK

·
Registered
35 Posts
For those of you who like things a little spicy, try this one.

:cheers:
Grilled Sturgeon with Black Bean Salsa

3 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel (green part only)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 fresh jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
2-2 1/2 pounds sturgeon, cut into 4 portions, 1 inch thick
1 Roma-type tomato, diced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 orange
1 firm ripe papaya, seeded, and cut into quarters
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Salt and pepper

Combine orange juice, lime peel, lime juice, jalapeno, and minced cilantro.
Rinse fish, pat dry and place in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Spoon half of the
mixture evenly over fish. Cover; chill at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours,
turning once.
To remaining orange juice mixture, add tomato and beans. Cut the orange
membrane and release the fruit segments into 2 or 3 pieces and add to the
bean salsa. Mix gently and serve, and cover and chill up to 2 hours.
Place fish on a hot, lightly oiled grill above a solid bed of medium coals
or over medium heat on a gas grill. Cook 5 minutes, turn steaks over and
cook until fish is opaque, but still moist looking in the thickest part,
about 6 minutes longer.
Arrange equal portions of fish, salsa, and papaya on plates; garnish with
cilantro sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Hard cure smoked.

Cut fish into chunks of similar size. Across the filet 3/4" thick is what I do.

Pour rock salt into a GLASS casserole dish of large size about 1/4" deep.

Arrange fish chunks in a layer and cover with more rock salt.

Layer rock salt and fish until it is all in the glass dish.

Refrigerate for exactly 30 minutes, absolutely no longer and do not substitute any other salt for the rock salt.

Remove fish from salt, rinse in cold water and allow to drip dry in the dish rack or smoker racks for an hour.

Smoke for 8 to 12 hours using 2 or 3 loads of alder chips as fast as it will burn. Hit it at the end with one more load. 1/2 way through the smoking trade the top and bottom racks and flip every piece for more even cooking. (little Chief)

·
Registered
184 Posts
My favorite way is to cut the fish into about 1" chunks. Then I have a bowl of flower another one with a beaten egg and a third bowl with Itialian seasoned bread crumbs (we use Progresso). I first roll the fish in the flower then dip in the egg and then roll in bread crumbs and deep fat fry. It is not good for your colesteral but it is real hard to beat for table fare. If you like deep fryed foods and have not tryed it this way you need to.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
#1.
Cut into 1" strips, then soak in 7-UP for 2 hrs and remove, pat dry & put in egg wash and roll in (Potato Buds) instant mashed and deep fry.

Or for an even more palettable fare try,
#2.
6 Tbls Honey
1/4 cup Olive oil (extra virgin)
Juice from 3 navel Oranges (no pulp)
4 Tbls fresh Thyme chopped fine. (remove stalks or stems prior to chopping)

Mix ingredients in a glass bowl and marinate filetts in fridge for 2hrs.
BBQ, or Broil to desired doneness.

Tip..Take 1 whole Orange and remove all peel with a knife to resemble a bright orange ball and then slice into segments. Serve with the filet!
:cheers:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just like to cut mine into 1" cubes and boil in 7up it is done when it floats to the top. This is real easy and very tasty.

[ 05-21-2003, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Salmon Loser ]

3,877 Posts
This is simple but effective for deep frying. I have served this to many people and it truly is restaurant quality.

Ingredients: Pride of the West (Dry Batter), Eggs, Panko (Japanese Breading)

Halibut/Walleye/Sturgeon/Ling Cod/ Bass - any white fish.

1. Fillet & skin your fish and cut into squares or small portions.
2. Roll fish in (DRY) Pride of the West
3. Put fish in egg
4. Move the fish from the wet egg mix to a freezer bag with the dry Panko Breading and shake around till it is coated with Panko very well.

That is it. Deep fry it in a 350 degree deep fryer until it floats and is golden. I tell you, it is better than any restaurant qualty fish and chips you have ever had.

I like malt vinegar as well once it is out of the fryer but that is your choice.

The moving from egg to Panko is a little messy but the results are awesome. No seasoning is needed, the Pride of the West is perfect.

I can't take credit for this recipe but I got it while sturgeon fishing next to a gentleman in Longview a couple years ago and have been enjoying it ever sence.

Enjoy.

Terry Luckett
AKA - The Kentucky Hog Hunter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cut the fillet into cubes, bite size, then use your favorite deep fry batter and deep fry it. Yum, Yum sturgeon McNuggets. They are so good you burn your mouth eating them so fast. If you like a little tartar sauce, or cocktail sauce or just the nugget. :dance:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you like Halibut parmesan You’ll love this. I take fresh clean filets put them in a sauce pan with butter and fresh garlic. Turn the heat on low and leave the fish in there just long enough for the butter to melt. You don’t want the fish to cook just get warm. Take the fish out arrange them on all plate so you can sprinkle parmesan cheese over them let them set for about five minutes. Turn the heat on medium(non stick pan) them take the filets and put them cheese side down on the pan. Cook until the edges turn a little white then sprinkle parmesan on the up side of the filet. Flip over cook for a few and enjoy. I use a non stick pan for this it seems to work best.

Another thing I do, If you like deep fried fish. Like fish and chips style is: Go to your local grocery store and look for a little yellow bag of batter called Pride Of The West. Follow the directions on the bag. YUM !
Let me know if you like it! Bendman

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
fshklr #1 is very good :cheers: :dance:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Another thing we do is take the sturgeon "nuggets" and batter them with the Jiffy cornmeal mix and deep fry it. Tastes Great! Pride of the West is awesome as well. You can't beat pan fried with a little flour and favorite seasonings though. Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts