IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Being it is that time of year I thought it would be a good topic to get going again :cool: .

Yes, yes I know this web site is a big advertisement portal for specific egg cures but every good bobber fisherman knows it is always adventageous to have more than one type of eggs in thier arsenal

Here is one of my personal favorites and best.The guide shop in Tillamook makes a great premix of dye and Solium Sulfite (NA2SO3). It is called Double Red X.

I have used it allot in the ole reliable 4-2-1 combination. Thats 4 parts Sugar (I like using Corn Sugar- the kind for brewing beer that is called granulated dextrose) 2 Parts of the premixed Sodium Sulfite & Dye from the guide shop and finally 1 part salt.

Those are the most basic ingriedients in all egg cures (Believe me on this one). I have experimented with light doses of Sodium Benzoate (NACHC6H5) and Potassium Chloride (KCl)as well as different sweetners like sorbital & other sources of sucrose (P.S. Don't be afraid to experiment here)(Salmon like it sweet and the sulfite is what burns the eggs if used in large quanties).

In addition, if you really want to experiment, try light doses of scent before you freeze your eggs. One I will use is Norweagon Cod Liver Oil. But remember that is a light dose of a few drops.

As for dye's, there are many dye's out there and they are very concentrated. That is why I like the guide shops premixed stuff. If you insist to do your own die combination, the total potion is around 2% or less of the total equation. Believe me, I know this for a fact. Some names of dyes are: Sulforhodamine 101 (Red Flourescent) and Rhodamine B (Red). The place to go get these is out of St. Louis (Sigma Aldrich Co.) or a company named Molecular Probes (They are on the web.) They both have terrific websites and very helpful chemists to answer your questions :cool: .

I think this stuff is a lot of fun trying to figure out and I am always willing to get people started

Best of luck, and if you come up with some new killer cure out of these suggestions, I would always love to hear about it.

Take Care.

The Kentucky Hog Hunter

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Wow, that is some great info, KHH. I have had great success with Amerman's cure but it always is nice to have some variations to throw at them!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I like to use Amerman egg cure, pro cure, and sometimes just borax

[ 09-30-2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: The Oversized King ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Shur-Cure. And I shur wish that Fisherman's Marine carried it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
priddy good egg cure,and cure all those are my favorite :grin:

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Scott,

How can I get some of the "Priddy good egg cure?" Does Wayne *-&% that and would he be willing to do that.

Hey everyone else, this string was not meant to be started to advertise anything but to rather come up with some ideas about egg curing. So I hope the moderator police do not repremand me.

I have used Ammermans, Sure Cure, Quick & Pro and allot of others. Like I said I carry several when I bobber fish.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not a thing wrong with good old Borax, Cherry Jello and vac-sealing in a quart jar.

Just love the results. Not very expensive either.

Sore Back

:dance:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I suppose that I am not much of an experimenter. I have always stuck with the ProCure double red. I just bought some Ammermans, but I don't have any fishing time on them yet. From your post, KHH, I now see some of the chemicals that a person might use.

The guess the way I see it is, I am always nervous about wasting a fishing trip trying new stuff that dosen't work. Moreover, how do I know if it was a bad cure, or just a slow day? If I don't try, then I won't ever know.

The one thing I do experiment with is sents. I try various things, but almost always have anise. I figure Salmon like licorice too. :grin:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
All listed above work. But they all work better if you know how to cure your eggs. Few favorites that I like are some of the ones buddy and I came up with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got a king that had pretty loose eggs and i did a rock salt cure for one day. That firmed the eggs up and also turned them a great red color. Then i just coated them with borax.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We all seem to get afraid to experiment and try new stuff. I sure like to tinker a bit myself with baits and cures, but I always have to look at the results.

I always ask: did this cure or bait catch fish?

I don't care how pretty the baits may look or how nice they may smell....we are catching fish here, not cookin' with Martha Stewart!

If a cure or bait catches a fish, then it finds a place in my bait box....if not, trash it.

that said... seems like my Amerman's have been getting the most attention the last two years.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thumper,
If I remember correctly, Shur-Cure and Quick-Cure are the same formula.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Whatever the fish want at the moment.

Quick and sure cure are similar, but not exactly the same.

Ken Reid had a great over the counter product.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tanner
Years ago I asked the lady that sells Quick-Cure if there was a big difference in hers and Shure-Cure and she told me they were close but somewhat different and went on to explain that the guy that made Shure-Cure was her brother inlaw. I've caught many a fish on both I remember the good ol days when you could buy a big container of Shure-Cure eggs for 5 bucks and if you bought more than one the guy gave you a free bobber.

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flatfish,

I agree with your hypothesis quite a bit. What triggers that fish at that particular time is what makes this an interesting subject.

Many have their thoughts and secrets but I think allot has to be said with scent & sight along with allot of luck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts