IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife strolls in to the truck shop from over at the house today and she is really excited about this big beautiful bird out back. She grabs the camera to go take a snap shot. When she comes back I see it is a Great Blue Heron. Neat. Hmmm what is he doing here?...out back?... in the garden... by the pond? I decide to go investigate for myself. When I get to my pride and joy pond that I made over the summer, all I find is some wet birdprints. To my dismay, in about two minutes, this critter has eaten all my goldfish and Koi. ....Burp.
Do you ever feel like everyone is getting fish but you?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
wait till the racoons find it :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It could be worse!

My wife is Japanese and we lived in Japan for eight years. Her parents had a pond in their backyard and had raised five Koi for almost 30 years. Although they enjoyed their koi, they had grown tired of the constant maintenance of the pond and decided to donate the Koi to the university where I taught. The university was very happy to receive them and placed them in the new fishless pond near the entrance to the campus. The groundskeeper assured them he would take good care of them.

The koi disappeared within a week, the groundskeeper catching a glimpse of the racoons dragging off with the last 30", 30 year old fish.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Stocked our backyard pond with 94 8" to 12" Rainbow Trout...The Heron took that as a "Come and Get It" call. Two weeks later, no trout!
Now the pond has Bass, the Heron does not seem nearly as interested.
Thanks for the Fish Stroy.
Troy

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Sounds like you missed the opportunity to get some quality fly tying materials :wink:

Maybe you should rebait the trap. :tongue:

·
Registered
816 Posts
:laugh: sorry :blush: but it's funny. Similar thing happened to my neighbor. if darwin could see us now. Try using a motion sensored sprinkler to keep the unwanteds out. they work good for keeping my dog off my new sod.

Cartman

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had the same problems at my place. I found out that a slingshot or pellet gun does wonders on keeping those pesky varmits outta my pond.
But, we should be respectful, being as they are fellow fishermen too!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts