IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had the chance to get out on the ocean last weekend with a great guy "Taylorsviewpoint"
It would turn out to be my first time out on the ocean for any kind of fishing So of course why not make my first trip a doozy and go 34 miles out to sea :grin: So I did and I had an absolute awesome time. We were in search of some fresh Halibut. So after our Hour and a Half trip out there :shocked: we are rigged up and ready to fish!! Once we got our gear to the bottom(600ft) it became a waiting game. With in the first couple hours we were able to boat 3 keepers :dance: Only problem was I wasnt one of the lucky ones to get a........ut oh... wait...wait...YEAH I'm getting a bite ....got em....Now the fun really begins
I now get the joy of reeling up 600ft of line with something on it that doesnt want to come up, but I'm a brawler so lets get it on!! After what seemed to be a long time (and it was) I think I am getting it close to the boat, oops not quite yet this fish says!! OK so a little while later we think its ready to come up. Looking,looking, oh there it is I am so excited its my first Halibut.........WHAT!!!!!!! :shocked: Thats not a Halibut. Its a Blue Shark!! Well, the picture doesnt really do it justice I would say it went 6ft. I never did get a Halibut on our trip that day but let me tell ya I had one heck of a good time out there and cant wait to do it again!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats just a little one. just teasing :laugh:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Did you jump in there like The Croc Hunter and wrestle that bad boy in the boat

OK probably not because I think the worst way for any fisherman to go would have to be eaten by a fish :shocked: :grin:

Looks pretty cool Russ, good job

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
OMG Zaq nice avatar :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Yep,

When the warm water (62+) was close to the beach off Nehalem last year we hooked 3 blue sharks in 3 trips.

I'm thinking of carrying some wire leader this year and put a whuupin on a couple of em.

Zaq, are you the new Vanilla Gorilla? :laugh:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Zaq aint no Vanilla Gorilla... he's more like a Chocolate Baby! :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I landed a few about 5 years ago out of garibaldi. We were trolling for chinook with dodgers and herring when these rogue sharks hit.
Don't know how but we landed two. We ended up keeping one for the meat, it was wonderful! The are terrific fighters too.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Talked to a guy yesterday who landed a 120 lb. halibut at the rockpile and claims he got one to the boat that he knows was over 300 lbs! Said he didn't have any way to get it in the boat and when they tried to gaff it it went crazy and they lost it. Sounds like a fish story to me, but he swears it's true and he does a lot of halibut fishing so there's a slight possibility it's true. Anyone know what the Oregon state record is for halibut - or do they even keep a state record since you catch them so far off the coastline?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"KT" Thats a good question. I bet someone over on the salty dogs board could answer that one for you. I did hear that there were some big Halibut caught over the weekend. Without going into to much of a fish story here.....The captan of the boat I was on had a HUGE bite, only I wouldnt call it a bite the thing just started peeling line :shocked: But you know how the story goes......we never saw what ever it was :shrug:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Does anyone here on IFISH target sharks off the coast of Oregon/Washington? It seems like people would because they're big fish that put up a good fight and taste great (how can you go wrong with that). Also, is there a limit on sharks and are their populations in any kind of danger?

·
Registered
109 Posts
"KT"
I was on that boat(Puffin) the day before and we did pretty well(limits all around) . The guys on the boat called me when they returned to port and told me the very same thing. The skipper (John) doesn't exagerate much.... I believe.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Look, it's fin clipped, I mean tail clipped!

:dance:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts