IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoo hoo!! Let's show our support!

Senator's Ron Wyden and Gordon Smith have reintroduced a bill to move forward with the removal of Savage Rapids Dam and the placement of pumps to divert irrigation water to the Grants Pass Irrigation District.

This has been a long time coming and has come with a ton of dedication and hard work by a lot of people. This is a most critical opportunity to insure the benefits of returning the middle Rogue to a free flowing river.

These benefits include supporting and increasing sportfishing and the sportfishing industry up and down the Rogue River as well as the ocean. Supporting and increasing the rafting and river boating industries as well as the overall tourist industry which the Rogue Basin so soundly relies upon. This is all besides the benefit of generally enhancing the health of one of America's treasures.

For their needs, the Grants Pass Irrigation District and it's patron's receive, at the expense of the State and Federal Governments, the installation of a state of the art water delivery system and the guarantee of enough water to continue to provide low cost irrigation to it's patrons.

You would be hard pressed to find a an expenditure of public dollars that is more beneficial to the greatest number of people than the placement of pumps and the removal of Savage Rapids Dam on the Rogue River.

What great timing! This opportunity arises just when Oregon anglers are about to be told they will be paying more for the privilege of fishing and harvesting fish. Also, just when we are on the brink to going to a fin clipped only Spring Salmon fishery on the Rogue. Doesn't it stand to reason that while asking the sportfishermen and the Sportfishing Industry to pay their share, that all citizens do the same and support those actions that will help us reduce the number of fish killed by any method; pollution, dewatering, hot water or outdated, unnecessary irrigation dams? Especially when you consider the economic benefits that stand to be gained by people through out the state!

Please, take just a minute and call or fax Senator Ron Wyden at 202-224-5244 (fax 202-228-2717) and Senator Gordon Smith at 202-224-3753 (fax 202-228-3753) and first thank them for their dedication to the Rogue River and it's future and secondly to add your support to this critical, historical piece of legislation.

GPID/SRD Information

Thank you so much,

Straydog

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
:cheers:
:cheers:

TR

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you TR!

This should have the support of everyone in Gold Beach. Any help you can give to spread the word would be most appreciated! :bowdown:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the up to date info. You have my support. I looked on the GPID website but didn't find anything on the reintroduced bill. Straydog- can you give me some more specifics? I'd like to reference the actual bill, etc. when I make contact with my politicos.

Keep us informed. thanks

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shad Boy,

Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately, they did not put the bill number or name in the newspaper article and I can't find it from last go 'round. I will find out tomorrow.

I believe it was called the Rogue River Restoration Bill but can't swear to it.

Again, I will post further info. tomorrow, hopefully.

I got good advice from an ex-legislator friend that suggested we lobby our state reps. to write letters of support as well. I will be contacting all of mine. :dance:

[ 06-22-2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bill number is S1308.

Please send your support to Senators Smith and Wyden.

[ 06-23-2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
HEY Straydog, I'm all for this bill,long overdue though. Seems to me,if the Grantpass water district had gone ahead and agreed to remove the dam ten years ago when the Feds mandated it,when the money was there for new pumps, things would be much better. Istead the water district nearly bankrupt itself fighting the inevitable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts