IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start with a couple of questions I have for my fellow Ifishers, then give a report about the day on Columbia North of St. Helens.

1. If you catch two undersized sturgeon (one of which was 40 inches) does that mean your skunk or drought is over?

2. How many of you wear surgical or latex gloves when handling your gear?

3. When using wobblers or Alvins do you put scent on them?

Now for the report/story

So, for the past several weeks I have posted my fishing trials and tribuations.

This evening is no different.

The day started with a long, dark drive to Hillsboro to pick up "Clown Mouth" my dear, old dad. He has been having car troubles lately so I, needing a fishing buddy, decided to be his chauffer for the day. (Plus with the drought I have going no one would WANT to go "boating" with me!).

I decided that it is time I start learning how to pilot the "Rarin' To Go" as there might be times when I want to go out by myself without my dad. (Is it called piloting or driving a boat? Nautical terms...sheesh.) I have my boater education card and have watched my pops do all sorts of crazy things in our boat, so I know what NOT to do. (Love ya dad)

We head down to 73 on the diamond there in the Columbia and anchor up. First off, the current was really running and we were in about 48 feet of water on the Washington side. One of my dad's friends had put a knot in our anchor rope, that caused some excitement for me, otherwise, anchoring was not a problem.

We were fishing by 6 a.m. and it was a great morning to be on the river. The hawks or falcons or whatever were screaching, the sun was shining that there was a gentle breeze. Only one problem. No fish.

A couple of other people lined up with us, not knowing that they were at ground zero of the skunk scent. Initially I thought the day was going to be excellent because not only did I see fish jumping in the marina, but I was wearing a new set of socks (I have tried changing every other part of my clothing).

We anchored up on 73 and threw out our wobblers and Alvins and even some Kwikfish (we were trying to give them a wide selection changing gear every now and then). No fish were spotted on the fish finder and nothing much was really happening.

Then it happened. A HUGE strike. Sure enough the first thing we caught was a tri-hulled boat's anchor in our anchor line as they tried to get set in the hog line. Nothing major, just a nice bump while they were trying to reset their anchor, no tangles...thank God.

After that excitement we decided to wait until 7:30 a.m. and move over to ditch the Salmon (which I have yet to catch this year) and try our hand at sturgeon.

After we moved and got set, we set up our sturgeon polls and noticed a trend. My dad would bait his hook, throw it out and BAM have a shaker. I would bait my hook, throw it out and nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

This was even after having a bucket of water and Lemon Joy, washing my hands like I have OCB. Heck, I STILL smell like Lemon Joy almost 24 hours later!

So my dad decided to bait my hook. BAM I fought a 40" to the boat with my rod.

This must mean I stink.

The rest of the day was spent battling skulpins and I threw out a salmon rig for a bit, but nothing much happened after noon.

In the end we caught about 5 shakers and my 40" that I thought was going to be a keeper. Oh well.

So, you make the call. Is the drought over, or do I have to bring a fish home?

Oh and my dad ROCKS! :bowdown:

He went ocean salmon fishing and brought back a silver. He gave me half because I drove and, well, stick up the entire river.

Next weekend my pops is out of town and I am alone. I am not comfortable taking the boat out on my own and I am looking for a ride. I will gladly help with expenses (being a boat owner I know how that goes) and just am looking to keep the Rarin' to Go in the dock for a week.

Think you can help me get the skunk smell off next Saturday or Sunday?

Chacal

·
Registered
371 Posts
No sir, you are still officially skunked. Your dad, however, gets credit for his shakers.

You do get a lot of good kid credit though, for the great day you shared with your dad, and you get a lot of Ifish credit for the great way you told the story. Now all you gotta do is catch a keeper, and you will have it all.

Best of luck, and don't fret it!

Mike

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Its all in your head.

I polish my alvins, then lightly coat them with scent. I like ainse, aniase,,heck,, you know what I mean.

try 25-30 feet of water.. move up the picket fence a little (hint)

Take a mirror on the boat, look into it and say "I'm good enough, Im smart enough, and dog done it, the fish like me"

Your day is comming..

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
1) No, still skunked.

2)Not when using gear but maybe you should....

3)Not on the Alvin but sometimes the hook.

I never had saw a fish on my fish finder yesterday yet we hooked six by noon. Don't be discouraged if you don't see them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
K9 is right, for spring & summer chinook you would do better in 25 to 30 feet of water. 48 feet is for the fall run. Check my post to your "Warning" post. There have been times when I think that I should use the latex gloves, but have not succumbed to that as yet. Do the sardine wrap on the Kwik Fish and add scent.

Keep your chin up, and your line wet and it will come. And yes it was a beautiful day out there yesterday.

By the way, we even had a banana on the boat yesterday. So much for superstitions!

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
I try to spill coffee on everything before we start fishing! :wink:

You caught fish. If ya go out for native steelies in March, and land 10 fish, but you cannot keep them. Did you get skunked?

If you go salmon fishing and hang only nates, are you skunked?

Ya got fish in the boat. Just no blood.

And the birds schreeching at you may have been Ospreys. If their underside is light in color, they are most likely fish hawks.

Mark and the no fishing, no fish dog.

[ 07-13-2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
19,911 Posts
Chacal sounds like you may have some serious bad mojo. Try this, destink all your fishing gear, I mean everything. Wear latex gloves while your doing it. Next find someone who catches fish,say maybe your dad. Then go out and wet a line,only don't touch anything,let the other guy rig you up,your still wearing gloves right? If this doesn't work try one of the ifish guides.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Maybe we can help each other. I have not landed anything in my new boat, 4 months old. Ive put alot of hours in and nothing. Mathmatically a negative+negative=positive.
I might be available to fish next weekend. If so I will let you know by Thursday. I have probably 15 diffrent bottles of scent. So before we launch my boat we will mix a caustic cocktail of scent, take a shot of it, wash our hands with lemon joy, leave the net in the truck along with the camera, and were off. I have tried everything else, so it cant hurt.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Chacal,

After reading your posts for the past year or so, I feel really bad for posting this picture. Notice the boat in the background?

See? Fish can be caught near your boat. :grin:

BTW- This was a fall fish from last year :smile:

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Salt meet wound.

Ouch.

Only now the boat has a new top, a kicker and is a bit cleaner. Just a bit.

24 you are an evil, evil person.

Now I am going to go cry.

Chacal :smile:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my dad!

I am like, oh, 100 years younger than that guy!

I am 33 he is like 66!

We look alike, I am just better looking and younger and more vibrant and about oh, 500 pounds more than he is!

When I went shad fishing I COULDN'T EVEN CATCH THOSE! Ask Clown Mouth, he will tell you.

I am considering Voodoo, Tarot Cards and might even bring a preist to the boat to get the evil spirits out!

I bought some latex gloves today. I am going to wrap my body in sulophane if that will help me.

Help...

[ 07-14-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Chacal ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts