IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Columbia today between the Lewis R. and Longview. Saw a number of fish caught. Many boats with multiple fish.

We ended up with four to the boat including a native coho that had to go back. My two were twin 30lb URB bucks (on the digital) and they were nice and bright. My buddy got the coho and a nice bright hen chinook about 12lbs.

There were multiple hoglines in the area but, since we were trying out a brand new anchor system (stainless device that allows you to add or remove the retriever/ball from the rope and retrieves the anchor very nicely) we decided to anchor away from other boats.

First fish came about 30 minutes into the day and, man, was he a peeler! Smoke-checked my thumb on his first long run the dogged it back to the boat. We stayed on the anchor since no one was anywhere near us.

Caught fish throughout the tide. 5'X 5' leader/dropper rigged sliding. Dark blue patterned Brad's wobbler with some herring gel.

I think my buddy would have limited too but he was fishing mono and with 6oz of lead and a deep drop he was losing touch with the bottom and overrunning the lead. Within 15min of switching to my tuff line backup rod he put the hen in the boat on a chrome wobbler/herring gel. It is a lot easier to feel the bottom when dropping way behind the boat with a superbraid than with mono.

Had two chinook hookups that came unbuttoned. One of those was a grab during the drop. Had one other good hit while bouncing back. I am thinking that, if fishing slows, backbouncing your offering may induce strikes. Just a thought.

Left the camera at home today but you have seen 30lb URB chinook before.

[ 09-10-2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
841 Posts
I work tomorrow too :depressed: The truth of the matter is this rain has got me wanting to hit the river in a bad, bad way! :shrug:

·
Registered
17,500 Posts
Congratulations Crabbait :cheers: .

Nice report, hope we can see some pics next time.

After a day like that, you're going to work :depressed: ?

Are you sure you don't feel a little salmo-fever coming on and the need for a sick day? That's what I'd prescribe :grin: .

[ 09-10-2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Administrator
119,994 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Crabbait! :smile: :smile:

LOL!

:dance:

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Thanks for the report!

Leave some for us weekend warriors!!!

Is anyone NOT fishing this weekend???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Crabbait,

You are definitely on to something. I remember a day that was absolutely dead and I just started dropping the wobbler back and then reeling in again and dropping it back again. Guess what- 3 fish later with not another touch from about 200 boats and it got my attention. I think dropping the lure back or just raising the rod tip causes the wobbler to give a full rotation before settling back into its side to side wobble. That erratic action seems to really turn the fish on at times. Then its "what the *&^%&^%#, set the hook!" :laugh: :laugh:

TD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.