IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone in July, staying just outside West Yellowstone. I'm taking my Fly Rod and was wondering if anyone out there had a favorite spot or river for me. I'll be there a couple of weeks.

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
There's a huge variety of fishing and many wonderful places. I really enjoyed exploring on my own, both inside and outside the park. The one place I'd head back to is Slough Creek, between the first and second meadows. Long hike, no trail (in that stretch), threat of bears and utter beauty interupted by the spookiest butter yellow-bellied 5 pound cutthroats serenaded by the fluttering aspens and the sight of the mountains.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Fish the Madison, the N. Fork of the Snake, There is a place called cave falls that has some great fly fishing. The tipb that feed Henery's Lake can be really fun. Hebgen Lake has some huge fish in it. Yellowstone lake and river are full of nice cuts also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pete, Slough Creek sounds like a place I'd like to visit. I may get back to you as the time nears.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fish_on,
I'll look for Cave Falls. I'm staying in a home near Henry's Lake so I think we'll get some time on that pond. The Madison is nearby and everybody talks about that river. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Cave falls is East of Ashton, about 20 miles right on the Id, Wy, Mt. border. The N. Fork will pump out some huge rainbows for ya.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
My father and I used to stomp all over that area, absolutely bea-utiful. We fished the Madison, but you should really check out some of the other rivers and lakes in the area also that we fished.
Clark Canyon Res, Henrys Lake, Beaverhead R., Henrys fork of the Snake, Red Rock R., Ruby R., Hebgen & Quake Lakes, the Gallitan R., the borrow pits on the highway south of Clark Canyon Res.(if they're still there) and many other waters I'm sure. It used to be that any flowing or still water in that area that was bigger than a puddle held fine fine trout and mountain white fish as big as your arm. Thirty some odd years ago we wre able to walk to these rivers following fence lines through private property with no hassels, no crowds, no problem. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to fish these waters at that time because I figure it has most likely changed for the worse now days regarding access. (SNIFF)

Good luck, If you've never been to this part of the country before the beauty is incredible!

Smj

P.S. Be sure to check out the historical side of the area also, the Quake Lake story is amazing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smj,
Thanks for your list. I'm getting excited for this trip already.
In your post you mentioned Quake Lake. I visited Yellowstone in August of 1959 as a 6 year old. My family would travel to Yellowstone every other Summer for 2 weeks of vacation while my Dad got his annual fishing fix. We left Yellowstone the day before that Earthquake hit. I've seen photos and look forward to visiting that spot again this Summer.

McDuck85

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
McDuck85, The first time we were there was in '62 I think. You could see the scarp that ran all along the mountain above and to the east of Hebgen, and still see how the Hebgen dam dropped ninefeet on the west side without breaking. In one of the camp grounds in the canyon below Hebgen there was one camp that had the firepit and the table seperated by the 9' scarp. It is still vivid in my mind, but I assume most of the visuals are now overgrown. One thing that will still be there I'm sure are the house size boulders that came off the mountain on the south and rolled half way up the other side where the visitor canter is.

Smj

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
McDuck85,

Yeah, what Pete said. Also the Yellowstone is usually a must-fish place, but keep in mind that in the Park it usually opens around July 10th or so. Check a local shop like Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone for up-to-date info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Toured the whole park last year for a week. Set aside one day in early August to fish the madison in YS. They closed it due to high stream temperatures. My one day to fish in the park got vetoed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Park is a magic place. I used to go every year for the FFF convention in West Yellowstone before they moved it, but never got out of the park to attend. We would drive 1000 miles during the week and never leave the Park. The fishing puts a hold on you and won't let go. We spent lot's of time at Slough Creek, (fish right where you park for big rainbows or anywhere above the first meadow for huge Cutts;big stimulators or Crow beetles against the banks), the Firehole and the Buffalo Ford area of the Yellowstone (#10 Crow beetles or #20-22 olives) There is a spinner fall there in the late evenings that will take your breath away. We would fish so late that we were setting the hook at the sound of the slurp. Enjoy!
Jean

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Every river in that area has a different personality. I don't know what your skill level is, but I would recommend to most anglers in the area for the first time is just try to learn one stream or lake.

My first couple of trips to the area I was too distracted by what might be going on at the other waters to really focus on where I was fishing.

Bring PMD's Humpies, and some (female dog) creek nymphs. The Big Hole is kind of out of the way, but it is an easy river to catch some fish on. The Beaverhead can be a real (rubber legged nymph) if you are a first timer there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was there about 9 years ago in Mid-July and did far better fishing the lake than I did the river. We put a small car topper in on the beach where the road leaves the Northeast end of the lake and fished the coves South of there. Wherever we found a rocky bottom, we found fish and lots of them. You weren't even allowed to touch the shore along that part of the lake due to bears, but the fishing was great for large, beautiful, Yellowstone cutthroat. The wind kicks up every day about 11:00 or 12:00, so you have to fish early and be off the water by then. In a week of fishing, we only caught one fish small enough to keep -- and threw it back in the lake too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snapset and jcarufo,
Thanks for you input. I'm really looking forward to my trip.
Keep those stories coming.

McDuck85

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone fish in the Lamar Valley area?

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
Lamar Valley = Lamar River, Soda Butte Cr., lower and upper Slough Cr. and some smaller tribs.

Plus the home of a popular wolf pack - the Druid Pack if I recall.

Now, what was the question?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
God made the fly rod and then made Montana and Wyoming to use it in. I would recommend stopping by one of the fly shops they will tell you where when and the hatch for when you are there. I fished the madison and the yellowstone with great success. Scrappy littl emonsters. It you want the trip of a life time hire a guide for a half day and drift the yellowstone. You will love it.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Pelican Creek
While living in Grand Teton Nat'l Park a group of us made the trek into Pelican Creek for its July 15 open. Hard to tear oneself away from their home river when it is the Snake, but yowzaaa! What a day! Hungry 18" Cuts one after another but, beware, it is bigtime Grizzly country.
No camping ever since a woman was dragged from her tent and... well, the details are in a book about Yellowstone bears. Couldn't figure out why a sweet bend I was fishing wasn't producing until one of the guys pointed out the fact it had been fished not long before me. The Griz print was VERY fresh and was bigger than his size 13. :shocked:
Hours were posted at the trailhead and were strictly enforced. Two in our group got in a heap of trouble for coming out an hour late.
Can't wait to get back! PMD's were a hit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts