IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some staff here at the ODFW Marine Resources Program think your idea of a dedicated Ifish page for interaction between the public and ODFW is great. A well-moderated page would be a really helpful two-way communication tool. However, such a commitment would probably require at least a couple hours a week of staff time, and we just don't have it right now. Possibly, funding for this might be found in the future.

In the meantime, two of the project leaders here frequent "The Salty Dogs" page and respond to major issues posted there. And, of course, you can always call Newport ODFW (541-867-4741) with your questions and concerns. Don Bodenmiller will be responding soon via email to your "Network" and zone management comments.

To get responses to some of your non-marine questions, you can try ODFW Information & Education (I&E): [email protected] or phone (503) 947-6002 (Salem).

I'm sorry for not getting back to you quicker.

Linda ZumBrunnen
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
2040 SE Marine Science Dr.
Newport, OR 97365
Phone: (541) 867-0300 x260
Fax: (541) 867-0311
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: November 07, 2003 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: survey?

In a message dated 11/7/03 11:48:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Not clear what you mean by "dedicated page"--do you mean a discussion page where ODFW would respond to questions and suggestions?

Linda ZumBrunnen

Yes, I believe that more information and discussion/interaction is needed.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information.

Although I believe it would be a tremendous idea to have this type of interaction ODFW’s standpoint has always been to never put down anything in writing and thus not be held accountable for policy decisions. I do not blame them. It would not take some loud mouth pain in the rear very long to ask some pretty tough questions….
You know… like me

I really would like to see some forum that would guarantee a credible response and not have to badger someone into answering. Electronic discussions would make the most sense

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
I've tossed around this idea with many reps from ODFW, and it all comes up to time spent, and as *** says, the "Putting it in writing" problems.

I've also run into problems of whether it is alright or not to read ifish on work time. I think that one got ironed out alright, as many ODFW employees seem to be monitoring discussions now days.

I would love to have a forum for this. Just say the word!

I mean, the police want to, the marine board wants to, the Coast Guard wants to-- We could put all officials on one page, and call it "Official reports!"

:smile:

Jen

[ 11-25-2003, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jenny,
I have been asking tough questions and getting the "rubboff"for years. It probably really comes down to accountability.
Odfw was moved to Salem to get closer to the heartbeat, but it sounds like they have not found the stethoscopes yet.
I believe the communication is the only way we can manage and preserve our resources. Stepping up and finding the solution/funding is required with the management job.

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts