IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth putting yarn on the hooks of my spinners to hold scent? Is that going to help or hurt me more. Seems like scent on spinners is tough cause there's nothing to hold it, is this a good idea? I've tried it on spin glos with little success. Any tips about this or other ways to hold scent on spinners would be great. Thanks, TOC.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've been tying yarn on spinners for a long time. I am able to thread through the eye hook where it attaches to the spinner. Works good for color and sent--

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are casting a spinner in a smaller river the scent is probably a waist of time.

But if you are anchor fishing or trolling and the fish is swimming up behind your spinner scent may help.

Smelly Jelly holds on until you wash it off.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It works I have did it for many years. Not only to hold scent but it gets in there teeth and gives you more time to set the hook,and adds color.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I go with DJ on this one... Smelly Jelly lasts forever. There is a little clean up involved, but I have switched to it and have done well. I turned my dad onto it and he has nailed several summer nooks with alvin/brads and herring salt for scent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends on the size of spinner your useing. My custom made spinners that i slay salmon with have yarn slid in the hook holder sleeve. Partly for scent and the other for color effect. I like green and red as colors to go along with my spinners. I can also tell you that some of the best guides on the coast all customize there spinners with yarn,reflective tape on both sides of there spinners, and now adays spinners have both sides of the spinner with paint.(blades)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts