IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All:

Just a quick question - Anyone use a bit of yarn when spinner fishing? I've seen them occasionally and thought they'd be a great way to hold scent without muddying up the blade.

If so, how do you tie them on? I tried one and tied 2 bits of red yarn at the loop that connects to the hook - But it looks bad and interferes with the hook.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
China

·
Premium Member
14,393 Posts
i tried it a couple of times. used a loop of mono to pull the yarn through the loop where the hook connects. didn't seem terribly effective.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
First of all I like inovation. You might be on to something.
I'm sitting here looking at an old antique spinner that utilized feathers on it. I think you might be able to use the same concept with yarn.
At the top of the shank of the treble hook, just below the eye, the feathers ( in your case yarn ) are tied on to the hook using the same method that you would use when you are tying flys to a hook. Your yarn would be about an 1 1/2" to 2" long and is held to the shank of the hook using multiple wraps and then tied off. The yarn then would fall about a 1/2" below the bottom of the hook. There is a split ring between the bottom loop of the spinner body and the treble hook giving the spinner a little added action.Give it a try. It might just work. Report back on your sucess or failures. :whazzup:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great idea for holding oil. Years ago (back in the 40's and 50's) we used red fethered hooks behind a Half and Half spinner. To make it more effective we would soak the fethered hooks over night in herring oil. Caught some huge Chinook in Tillamook bay and lower tide water on them.

Good luck

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Try removing the hook and attaching a small split ring. Take a NEW treble (since you just cut through the eye of the original} and pass yarn through the eye. Then cut a piece of 1/8" colored tubing (1/2 to 3/4 inches in length) and slide down shank exposing hook eye. Then re-attach hook and trim yarn to desired length, 1/4 below the bend of the treble should do fine. :cheers:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Dan, I just did a test on a spare treble and it looks great!

The tubing keeps it out of the hook's way - When I was tying them up above, I was worried about that but your way keeps it nice and neat!

I'll give it a try tomorrow (and will hopefully have good news!)

Tom

·
Registered
264 Posts
Saw a post here a few months ago about wrapping a pipe cleaner around the shank of the treble hook to hold scent. The author said it didn't interfer with the spinner at all. Sounded like a pretty neat idea to me. :wink:

·
Registered
532 Posts
hmmm was wondering if someone saw me fishing the clack last week-
I tie a small knot of yarn,1 end pulled through the hook eye, wrapped around the hook shank and tied off to the shank bottom- holds scent well and gives a little bit more pizazz to the lure-- my favorite is the blue fox blue #4 spinner with red/orange yarn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts