IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bring your patience to the ramps if you head there over the weekend. I've never seen so many boats in the river and bay as today, on a Thursday yet. Great weather, though extremly foggy at daylight and windy in the late afternoon. The upper bay was extremely weedy. We managed to yank a couple of snaggletooth salmon out of the foliage, 20 and 22 lbs, using small flashers and cut plug herring. Only saw a few others caught, I'd guess the per rod rate was pretty low. Didn't see any silvers at all, last year for awhile we couldn't stay away from them and there was a large escapement into the tributaries. Anybody know if the fish are holding above the County Park ramp yet?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wednesday was pretty crowded, too. We stayed between Riverbend and the oyster farm since it looked like bumper boats higher up and managed a 15# chinook. We saw maybe half a dozen fish landed from 8AM until about 1PM. Incoming tide was dead. Everthing happened at high slack.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer day. The wind never did come up in the afternoon.

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
I learn more things at Yaquina. The last time out amongst a thousand other boats, a fellow was warming up his inboard at the top of the ramp before backing into the water. The crowd of 50 or so that gathered at the noise couldn't convince this idiot,,,, ooops, I mean fellow, that this was a really stupid thing to do. Even the Coast Guard auxiliary fellow couldn't convince him. If your really board some day just go out and watch!! It can be fun!!

[ 09-26-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Crabby ]

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am heading there to crab tomorrow but might just have to throw the rod in. Never know might get lucky and limit on crab and have to kill the rest of the day fishing. Does anyone know if the herring are in the bay. Last year we jigged our bait then went up river to fish.

SL

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I fished Friday, but did not catch any salmon. We trolled from South Beach up to marker 31 almost. We caught a mess of herring between South Beach and the CG station. Fish the outgoing up at Marker 31 for the Salmon. Sturgophile, Where the **** is Philomath? :grin:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Since there were a couple Ifishers from Philomath on this thread I thought I had better get on here and post a reply.

I agree with Crabby. A six pac, a lawn chair and any boat ramp is great entertainment.

I fished Yaquina out by the jetty's on Friday and didn't catch anything. I was looking for some of those salmon that people were talking about coming in with the recent tides. I'll put in up at Toledo tomorrow.

Ride Red

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
A little early for those nate silvers. The wild coho are late returning in comparison with hatchery coho.

Last year there was an estimated 25,000 wild coho return to the Yaquina. I suspect a big return again this year and if we indeed do get another big return like that, I would expect there might be a move to fish on them in 2004.

You don't need near that many to seed the river.

Dan

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I miss the silver fishing on the Yaquina, I do hope we get to get them again someday! I am going to fish the incomming on Wed afternoon around riverbend will post my report on the quick limits were sure to get!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
A question for you guys.....
is there a place where you can fish the river.... not the tidewater.... i hear all of you talking about fish on the Yaquina, but everyone fishes from boats....
thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
not really any place to fish from shore this early in the season. In a few weeks you can fish from shore up higher.
Yaquina was very slow on Saturday, saw only 1 fish caught for 100 boats. Big contrast to last weekend when I had two big Chinook in the boat before 10:00.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Ive seen people catch Salmon and Sturgeon from the Rocks below the Oyster farm, and from around the Blue tank on the bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts