IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the plunge for a kicker(8 horse/20 inch shaft). Go Honda of Yamaha? I'm going to use it for my driftboat and 17' 6".

·
Registered
872 Posts
The last time I was looking at kicker motors (a couple years ago) the Yamaha motors were quite a bit lighter than the competition's. That may not be the case any more. I don't think you can go wrong with either one personally.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have a 9.9 yamaha and i love it. Both are real good motors. I would go with which ever one is cheaper..
good luck....

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I would go with a Yamaha, I had a Honda and sold it for a Yamaha. The Yamaha's were designed for trolling (high thrust series). The Yamaha's also have less vibration that gets transfered to the tiller and the hull of your boat, important especially in a fiberglass drift boat.

Another bit of info, the 6hp and the 8hp non-thrust are the exact same motor, just different jetting on the carb, and about $300 less money, a yamaha dealer should be able to change the jetting for you.

Either way you cant go wrong with a Honda or a Yamaha.

G

·
Either way you cant go wrong with a Honda or a Yamaha.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Good advice. The Honda cost more and are heavier. I have a Honda but for a drift boat (I don't have a drift boat) I would think that weight was a concern and the Yamaha would be the better choice.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I have 6hp Yamaha 2-stroke kicker and it is a very nice motor. Starts easily and trolls down with no problems. It can push my 16' smokercraft at 6.5 mph. Sweet motor!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have both motors and they are both nice and run good. I would pick the lighter one for your application. How do the warranties compare??? would also be one thing I considered.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
For a drift boat, I'd go with the Yamaha 6/8 4 stroke. It's lighter and the shifter is on the tiller handle.

The Honda 8 is as heavy as their 9.9, about 100lbs.

I've got an 8HP 2 stroke merc for my DB (73lbs)and it works fine, but then again, it's a two stroke. I'd prefer a 4, but when I bought the boat, the seller wasn't willing to seperate them. The motor was brand new, so I figured what the heck.

The Merc 4 stroke is a much bulkier motor than the others, which probably isn't a good thing on a drifty. Othewise, it's a sweet little motor too, ask Hogmaster!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I thought most of you would say the Honda. I will check out the weight of the Yamaha.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Remember, the Honda is an OUTSTANDING motor, but probably better suited to a larger boat than a DB. If I was going Honda 4 stroke for the Drift boat, it would be the 6HP. It's lighter. I still prefer the shifter in the handle as on the Yamaha though vs on the motor with a Honda. Matter of personal preference, yours may vary!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thumbs up on the Yahama. As already mentioned: the shifter on the tiller, high thrust, and ultra-low end speed (if you need that as well), price, and weight. We got the best deal on a kicker at Mid Columbia Marine (out in Hood River). They beat the guys in Portland, which surprised us.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one. Both make a great 4 stroke. The shifter on the tiller is a sweet option. Otherwise, both motors should run for a very long time.

D.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
it's like a ford chevy thing they are both great. but i like the yamahas, very smooth and quite just my $0.02 Quick Fisher

G

·
Worm N,

O.K. whats wrong with the Mercs??
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">They're black :grin:

and the choice was Honda or Yamaha. Nerta has a 90hp Merc 4 stroke that's been a good motor.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Defiantely go with the Yamaha 8hp High Thrust. THat is a sweet little motor. We have a brand new one and it runs so smooth and quiet. It is the electric start and it fires up immediately and idles perfect. They have a tremendous amount of push as well if needed. I would stay away from the Honda and go Yamaha. As for Mercury, Get one if you want a trolling motor that doesn't start. :laugh: They seem like they have troubles with everything. Just my opinion. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts