IFish.net banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
__I fished with beer can lake trolls in Merwin years ago, thes are identical to the cousin carls, like you said they really thump. Do you use super dupers for kokanee, without corn

·
Registered
149 Posts
Friday, came over from Merwin was unusually slow even trolling at daybreak.

So i launched at Yale about 11:30, sunny, air temp mid 70s.

At Yale, i went towards the dam, took an hour to locate an area with willing biters. Main channel about 230 ft deep, within sight of both dams.
Let out 60 ft line, downriggers 55 ft, Arrow "moonglo" dodgers with Mack's aqua mini hoochies with .8 gold glitter smiles, usual garlic n tuna corn.

These yale kokaneewhile smaller, put up quite a struggle when you use light "noodle" poles!

I include 5 mm white glo beads on my home tied hoochies, you can "charge" up the beads and also the u/v tentacles of the hooch using the flash on your camera phone! Joe Adams told me about the phone flash charging technique.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good today. Done by 730. All fish on Brad's kokanee cut plugs at 35ft on downriggers, across from the ramp

·
Registered
292 Posts
First time submitting a report so go easy on me here. Attached a couple of snapshots that tell the story this morning.

The bite slowed down for an hour or so for me after solid daylight. I tried some different combinations. The two rigs pictured were the most productive. I tried brads cut plugs (maybe wrong color), different dodger/spinner combinations and different depths and speeds. Spent the whole time across from the ramp. The combination that worked for me today was 55' back and 35' down and 1.4-1.5 with yellow corn (pink didn't work).

All fish pictured were from 10 7/8 to 12 1/8. I returned a couple next year fish and what must have been a pike minnow.

Nice to casually get the boat ready for the road home - sure that the Jet Ski trailer appreciated the spot opening up around 9.

Another nice thing about the quick limit is that I didn't have a Prius pass me around a double yellow corner - traffic back towards I-5 at 9:30 was non-existent. Last time I fished Merwin I stuck it out til maybe 4 and the access road was more active headed west.

I'll say I thought hard about floating Merwin - it was tough to drive past that ramp knowing the fish carry girth. Thing is that a few days ago I tried my hand at Detroit Lake. Ended up with one ~14". So, I'm happy with the experience all-in-all today. Would do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
__I fished with beer can lake trolls in Merwin years ago, thes are identical to the cousin carls, like you said they really thump. Do you use super dupers for kokanee, without corn
Yes, not even scent but need a light leader to get it to roll nicely and dive from side to side. That's the money action! SMALL LURES

·
Registered
292 Posts
Launched at noon with my wife. Fished three rods across from the launch. Landed our limit at 2:45. Turned the next back that hooked up when pulling in our gear. Left two next year fish. No pikes. 40’ down and 55 back. 1.3 mph. Any color gear (didn’t ever change). Size ranged from 10.5 - 13 1/4.

No wind and scattered clouds. Good day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Headed to yale sunday night and fishing through wednesday.

Staying at cougar rv, will be with wife in a 18' smokercraft sled, say hello if you see us.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fishing was amazing, 10 first day (5pm launch), limited both days after, with 2 limits by 10am today. Hot setup was 50/50 cowbell, 3oz weight 100' behind the boat with a custom #3 gold bladed pink hootchie spinner.

Trolled middle lake 80-120' of water from about the launch north 1/2 mile.

Big fish was 13.5", most were 11-12.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Fishing was amazing, 10 first day (5pm launch), limited both days after, with 2 limits by 10am today. Hot setup was 50/50 cowbell, 3oz weight 100' behind the boat with a custom #3 gold bladed pink hootchie spinner.

Trolled middle lake 80-120' of water from about the launch north 1/2 mile.

Big fish was 13.5", most were 11-12.
Are the fish starting to show any color ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great report Thax! I’m headed up there on Saturday, it’s only my second time attempting Kokanee fishing. First time I tried I only caught one at Riffe lake and I would be happy just to double that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm confident you'll beat it. Try and be there early, it's tough fishing when the wind picks up around 12pm. If the wind gets going just troll with it.

I used corn cured in pautzke fire and krill/anise Mike's gel smeared on the squid. Kokanee cutplug stuffed with tuna was also effective.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Great report Thax! I’m headed up there on Saturday, it’s only my second time attempting Kokanee fishing. First time I tried I only caught one at Riffe lake and I would be happy just to double that.
At Yale you will just get there early to avoid the jet ski crowd. Right out in front of the ramp should be good

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Limit in 2.5 hours this morning. Probably lost another limit worth. Water was beautiful and the koks were snappy. Got a bonus trout also. Downrigger at 55 with a stacked line at 40. Spin-n-glos in green with green beads and pink with a pink hootchie. Green Gulp maggots outfished the plain ones today. First time they have been really successful for me.

This will be my last trip until Black Friday. Fish are turning to spawning colors.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Do you find that the fish move towards the spawning grounds to stace just before entering the creek?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yale and merwin have been closed due to fire fighting aircraft activities. The big hollow fire started in the trapper creek wilderness and was pushed west by very strong east winds to 4.5 miles from yale dam. Looks like the season might be over for us kokanee heads....dang!

121 - 140 of 149 Posts