IFish.net banner

41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,594 Posts
I was fishing two rods set back at 100 ft. Started with no weight, then added 1oz latter on.

My son was fishing with the downrigger 60 ft back and 30 ft down.

I picked up another little manual downrigger and we are going to try again tomorrow. We’ll be in a blue Pro-steelheader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I took my son to Merwin on Thursday 5/28. We launched at 6:15 and lower lot was only about half full. We trolled up and down both sides trying almost everything we had. Had two rods flatlining and one on the downrigger. Had a total of four bites, two of which hooked up, but came unhooked halfway to the boat. Never saw either fish.

We called it quits at 1:45 and drove up to Cougar to grab some lunch. Decided to hit Yale and launched around 2:30. There was a lot of people at Yale, but quite a few spots open and plenty of people leaving. Headed across the lake and up a ways, then started trolling down.

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

While none of the Yale fish were of Merwin size, none of them were what I would consider “dinks”. Most averaged in the 11”-12” range with quite a few around 13”.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

We had almost the exact same experiance last year. started at merwin around 9am. Got totally skunked! At least you had some bites and fish on! Fished till around 2 then went to yale. Took us awhile to get dialed but when we did it was fish on. we got our limits! Last year the fish were bigger, More merwin size. But... needless to say we have not fished merwin since. We have made 2 tours through the parking lot. Seemed to crowded! Be up there weds and thurs say hi were in a teal open RB boat!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yale was a lot slower for us today. Added a second downrigger, but bites were sporadic. The majority of boats left way before we did. Fished for six hours, but only managed to boat 10 fish. Had enough of the wind and finally called it a day. Ended up giving five of our fish to a nice young family who hadn’t eaten Kokanee before, my son and I ate two for dinner, and I vacuum bagged the remaining three. Still better than “honey-do’s”.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My brother and I went up today. Started fishing around 1230. I was on my first pass when I noticed a guy in a small smoker craft waving at me. I smiled and waved back. I was a little a loof at first. He then started waving both arms. I then noticed he was in trouble. We quickly reeled in the rods and raced over there. Apparently he had some rope dangling in the water that got caught up in his prop:(. He cut the rope out, but the motor was seized. So we towed him back to dock. I asked him if once he got his boat loaded did he want to come out and fish with us? He was like sure! Didnt take long to get on the fish. It did take awhile to get our 30, But we did. All on pink hoochies with small spinner blades and dodgers. Most fish were caught within the first 20 ft of water. Just using 1/2 oz to 1 oz 80-100 ft of line out. What a gorgeous day! Wind picked up a little then died down around 4. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yale was a lot slower for us today. Added a second downrigger, but bites were sporadic. The majority of boats left way before we did. Fished for six hours, but only managed to boat 10 fish. Had enough of the wind and finally called it a day. Ended up giving five of our fish to a nice young family who hadn’t eaten Kokanee before, my son and I ate two for dinner, and I vacuum bagged the remaining three. Still better than “honey-do’s”.

Roady...You answered my question about the wind on Monday. Took my son & grandson to Yale. Grandson (6 yrs old) has never been fishing before, and I figured it was time to introduce him to a new world. We started at 7:30 and fished East of Yale Park. Caught 6 Kokanee, with the grandson doing the reeling.

About 11:00 the wind was starting to show up, so I made the call to, abandon ship, and call it a day. Been wondering if I made the right call, because grandson was having a good time, and wind wasn't that bad YET. And yes, we not only caught some fish, but I think I hooked the grandson on fishing. Now I would like to find a Bass lake, so grandson can practice his casting skills.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Roady...You answered my question about the wind on Monday. Took my son & grandson to Yale. Grandson (6 yrs old) has never been fishing before, and I figured it was time to introduce him to a new world. We started at 7:30 and fished East of Yale Park. Caught 6 Kokanee, with the grandson doing the reeling.

About 11:00 the wind was starting to show up, so I made the call to, abandon ship, and call it a day. Been wondering if I made the right call, because grandson was having a good time, and wind wasn't that bad YET. And yes, we not only caught some fish, but I think I hooked the grandson on fishing. Now I would like to find a Bass lake, so grandson can practice his casting skills.

You probably made the right call. The wind never got terrible, in fact it calmed down after we got the boat on the trailer, but depending on what kind of boat you fish in, it can really take the fun out of it.

More importantly, great job getting the grandkid into some fish! As an adult, it’s easy to want to stick it out for a whole day. Kids can tire quickly and start to not enjoy themselves if the fishing or weather doesn’t cooperate.

As far as bass or panfish, try Silver lake up near Castle Rock. Instead of taking the boat, you can fish from shore at Silver Cove Resort or off the docks at Silver Lake resort.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My brother and I went up today. Started fishing around 1230. I was on my first pass when I noticed a guy in a small smoker craft waving at me. I smiled and waved back. I was a little a loof at first. He then started waving both arms. I then noticed he was in trouble. We quickly reeled in the rods and raced over there. Apparently he had some rope dangling in the water that got caught up in his prop:(. He cut the rope out, but the motor was seized. So we towed him back to dock. I asked him if once he got his boat loaded did he want to come out and fish with us? He was like sure! Didnt take long to get on the fish. It did take awhile to get our 30, But we did. All on pink hoochies with small spinner blades and dodgers. Most fish were caught within the first 20 ft of water. Just using 1/2 oz to 1 oz 80-100 ft of line out. What a gorgeous day! Wind picked up a little then died down around 4. :)

Good job helping out! Very cool!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tuesday 6-2-20
I put in about 4:30,
a guy on a boat pulling out advised, go towards the damin the old river channel,
180 to 200 ft deep,
downriggers 50-65 ft deep.

Arrow gold dodger with
Deadly venom orange or pink hooch, corn with any scent and bam, bam, bam...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was fishing two rods set back at 100 ft. Started with no weight, then added 1oz latter on.

My son was fishing with the downrigger 60 ft back and 30 ft down.

I picked up another little manual downrigger and we are going to try again tomorrow. We’ll be in a blue Pro-steelheader.

Thank you for information! I managed to make it out with my Dad and 9yo daughter on Monday. I will post a report.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Monday 6/1/20, made it on the water at 8:30 (bit later than I wanted). My 82yo Dad, 9yo daughter and myself in a 15 foot Alaskan Smokercraft. We just had her line out and in the pole holder when...fish on. We were running Okuma SST Kokanee rod/reel combos, Brads dodgers (Watermelon & Moon Pink), followed by a spin-n-glo, 5 red beads and my hand tied trolling flies, her's was tipped with Pro Cure Shrimp/Krill corn, mine with pink cured Bloody Tuna. We started with 3/4 ounce weight with 80 feet set backs. My daughter managed five fish in about 15 minutes, before I switched to the same trolling fly and scented corn. This proved to be the most effective combo. At one point I ran an extra rod since I have the two rod endorsement, this one was set up with a Brad's Moon Jelly dodger and a pink Hoochie, but only caught one fish on it and I am still learning how to execute turns without tangling up (had one bad foul midday and put the third rod away).

We fished from 8:30 until 1pm and had 10 fish, none of them as large as Merwin and some were on the small side. We tied up at the dock, used the restroom, ate some lunch and at my daughters request headed back out; she was not done fishing. We continued to pick up a fish here and there until 4pm when we had 15 and started heading back in. Once again the girl begged us to stay on the water to try and fill two limits. We headed up to the dam, fortunately the wind had started to die down and we started picking up fish after we switched to 1.5 ounce lead and 90 and 100 setbacks. We hooked MANY fish, but could not seem to keep them on the line and at 6pm we called it a day. We ended with 18, with two lost at the boat only 200 yards from the ramp.

I caught 5 of the fish and the girl caught the other 13...that watermelon dodger/trolling fly combo was the hot ticket. We hooked and lost more than 18 fish; from what I gather this is not unusual.

We thoroughly enjoyed out time together and are planning another trip. Yesterday we smoked the fish; oh the joy of the great outdoors!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Good job helping out! Very cool!

Thanks! It was fun fishing with Him. Only problem was I gave him my boat mecs No#, But forgot to get his!! :doh:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Monday 6/1/20, made it on the water at 8:30 (bit later than I wanted). My 82yo Dad, 9yo daughter and myself in a 15 foot Alaskan Smokercraft. We just had her line out and in the pole holder when...fish on. We were running Okuma SST Kokanee rod/reel combos, Brads dodgers (Watermelon & Moon Pink), followed by a spin-n-glo, 5 red beads and my hand tied trolling flies, her's was tipped with Pro Cure Shrimp/Krill corn, mine with pink cured Bloody Tuna. We started with 3/4 ounce weight with 80 feet set backs. My daughter managed five fish in about 15 minutes, before I switched to the same trolling fly and scented corn. This proved to be the most effective combo. At one point I ran an extra rod since I have the two rod endorsement, this one was set up with a Brad's Moon Jelly dodger and a pink Hoochie, but only caught one fish on it and I am still learning how to execute turns without tangling up (had one bad foul midday and put the third rod away).

We fished from 8:30 until 1pm and had 10 fish, none of them as large as Merwin and some were on the small side. We tied up at the dock, used the restroom, ate some lunch and at my daughters request headed back out; she was not done fishing. We continued to pick up a fish here and there until 4pm when we had 15 and started heading back in. Once again the girl begged us to stay on the water to try and fill two limits. We headed up to the dam, fortunately the wind had started to die down and we started picking up fish after we switched to 1.5 ounce lead and 90 and 100 setbacks. We hooked MANY fish, but could not seem to keep them on the line and at 6pm we called it a day. We ended with 18, with two lost at the boat only 200 yards from the ramp.

I caught 5 of the fish and the girl caught the other 13...that watermelon dodger/trolling fly combo was the hot ticket. We hooked and lost more than 18 fish; from what I gather this is not unusual.

We thoroughly enjoyed out time together and are planning another trip. Yesterday we smoked the fish; oh the joy of the great outdoors!

Sounds like you had a good day!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Three fishermen, three limits kokanee, 9"-11". Wednesday, 1.5 oz lead, Brad's heavy dodger, corn. setback 100 ft. pink, green, and orange colors. hoochies, KCP and spin-glo's. They hit everything we towed.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Sounds like the young lady has the fever. Three generations in a 15 foot boat. Memories created that will never be forgotten. love it, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wednesday 6/3 took the grandkids for their first fishing trip, we had a blast. Managed to net 13 (let them reel them all in) and lost as many. Fished from 9:30 till 12:30 when it got very windy. First trip this year my son and I didnt limit (20 fish) in about two hours

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Wednesdays report. It was a bit of a grind to get 3 limits. We managed 28. Could of got 30 but the wind was kind of kicking my butt! All in all excellent time! My buddy was using some set-up from pauline lake tackle. Dodger and lure it was defiantly the hot ticket! We seemed to have to use more lead to get bites 1-2oz. But that meant more loses. we must have lost 20 fish!! Got there around 9. Bite was slow at first. seemed to pick up around 11. I think the wind chop helped as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fished the morning at Merwin, nada, not even a strike.
Put in at Yale 1:30, the kokanee fishing is hot!

About 80 ft line out, downrigger s 24 to 30 ft deep. Arrow dodgers, deadly venom pink or orange hooch, corn with garlic / bloody tuna scent.

Straight across from the ramp, then troll with the wind.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Report for 6/5:

Had stuff to do in the morning, but decided to take the boy and the dog for an afternoon boat ride. Put the boat in at 2:30, headed across the lake, and started our normal trolling route. Seemed to take a while to get the last couple of fish, but we finally landed our 20.

My son had the hot rod again. Homemade black & silver wedding ring type spinner, pink/white dick nite dodger, fire corn with garlic tuna scent, 35’ back and 30’ deep on the downrigger.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed like we were getting into bigger fish later in the evening.

All in all it was a good day. The dog really seemed to enjoy himself.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Made a quick trip to Yale yesterday afternoon. My dog started barking excitedly when he saw me pull the boat onto the street, so I had no choice but to take him again. Haha

We fished from 3pm-7:45 and put 18 in the cooler. Lost a handful at the boat. My son caught most of his fish on a black body and chrome blade homemade wedding ring. I caught most of mine on an ice blue body and brass blade homemade wedding ring. FireCorn and ProCure garlic/tuna tipped on the hooks.
Both of us set our gear 35’ back and 35’ down on the downriggers.

Very little wind yesterday afternoon and managed to keep a steady 1.5-1.6 mph both directions. Other than a brief 10-15 minutes of rain, the weather was great and the water was smooth as glass for quite a while.

41 - 60 of 149 Posts