IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Always good straight across from the launch! I always check the wind reports before I go.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,709 Posts
Took my son to Yale yesterday. Didn’t launch until around 9:30. Parking lot was only half full. Six or seven boats pulled in behind me, but there already boats taking out. Almost didn’t launch because of the wind, but decided to give it a go anyways. Headed over to the East side across from the launch as it seemed a little “calmer” over there. Caught two fish in about 15 minutes, so we were hoping for a good day. Fought the wind all day, but we managed to keep 12 (I think my son caught 10), lost a few at the boat, and missed a bunch.

Various dodgers, weeding rings, fire corn, with pro-cure tuna scent is what we used. Seemed to hit fish in about 80’ of water, 2oz of lead, and about 100’-125’ back.

Also caught about five pikminnow. My son was pretty excited when he tossed one back and a bald eagle came out of nowhere to grab it. He was happy to “feed ‘Merica”. Lol

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Congrats Chris, that smile on Ians face says it all. My first trip since the re-opener will be Monday on the reservoir downriver of Yale.

Took my son to Yale yesterday. Didn’t launch until around 9:30. Parking lot was only half full. Six or seven boats pulled in behind me, but there already boats taking out. Almost didn’t launch because of the wind, but decided to give it a go anyways. Headed over to the East side across from the launch as it seemed a little “calmer” over there. Caught two fish in about 15 minutes, so we were hoping for a good day. Fought the wind all day, but we managed to keep 12 (I think my son caught 10), lost a few at the boat, and missed a bunch.

Various dodgers, weeding rings, fire corn, with pro-cure tuna scent is what we used. Seemed to hit fish in about 80’ of water, 2oz of lead, and about 100’-125’ back.

Also caught about five pikminnow. My son was pretty excited when he tossed one back and a bald eagle came out of nowhere to grab it. He was happy to “feed ‘Merica”. Lol

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Congrats Chris, that smile on Ians face says it all. My first trip since the re-opener will be Monday on the reservoir downriver of Yale.

Thanks Earl! We might try the same place Monday, if I can figure out my kicker motor issues.

I went to Fisherman’s last week and bought a bunch of new gear in hopes fishing for springers out of the new boat. I might just take it all back and exchange it for Kokanee gear. Haha

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
great report, think I will try there next instead of merwin. What part of lake were you in
We launched at yale park. strait across the lake headed up. Action did not take long.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Does anybody know when they changed the limit from 15 to 10 on yale ? My father-n-law(rip) always liked yale due to the 15 fish limit!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Does anybody know when they changed the limit from 15 to 10 on yale ? My father-n-law(rip) always liked yale due to the 15 fish limit!

That changed last year, a committee making out the reg book noticed most lakes were 10 fish so they said Yale must be 10 too. Having no clue that a 16 fish limit for ever on Yale was due to the magnitude of fish in that lake.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
That changed last year, a committee making out the reg book noticed most lakes were 10 fish so they said Yale must be 10 too. Having no clue that a 16 fish limit for ever on Yale was due to the magnitude of fish in that lake.
Thanks, Dont quite understand why change it just because other lakes have that. There was a reason behind the 16 fish limit. The lake has a lot of fish but they are smaller.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great morning on the lake. Got there about 6:45, about 5 trailers in the lot. Could not get all three poles in the water at first they were biting so fast. Got limits by 9:00, no wind no rain. Fish are smaller than merwin but there are a lot of them. Fished on top, didnt matter what you used.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just got back. Got there at the crack of noon. Took longer to drive there and back than to get our limit. Went to merwin first. Made one pass through the parking lot. Seen the big cluster of trailers opted for the serenity of yale.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yale Report - Friday, May 15th

2 anglers, 4 rods. Lake was flat calm when we launched with a lite rain on and off. Lines in at 7:00, Limited and to the launch with a bonus trout at 9:10. Fished mostly across from the ramp and did circles on schools of fish between 20-35'. Did find a nice tree top on the deeper end of that range and that wasn't too fun! Anything pink... spinners, hoochies, etc. Loads of doubles and a few triples. We also lost 6 fish trying to flip 'em into the boat instead of using the damn net. It was our first day out since fishing reopened in WA, and we were definitely not on our "fish landing" game.

Originally went to Merwin but arrived at 6:15 to a line of 12 plus boats and only 7 open parking spots left in the overflow area. No bueno! Turned around and drove up to Yale and we were probably within the first 15 boats there. When we took out (bit of a line to get out) the Yale lot was full and the gate was closed, allowing new vehicles in only when one would leave. Very organized, but dang was I surprised at how busy it was for a salmon opener day.

Fish averaged 10.5-11.5" on the board with a few that taped a little past 12". Certainly not Merwin grade fish, and they seem smaller than last year, but the smaller crowds and two hours to limit out made it a very worthwhile day.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yale report today May 19th. Ended up going solo. Had a wild idea at first to try merwin seeing how it was late(around 11am). Made a tour through the parking lot only to find yet another zoo! Opted again for the serenity of yale. Maybe 6 trailers in the lot and the ramp was wide open! Went across the lake then up to the colverts. Action was pretty much within the first 5 min and continued till I got my 10 really nice kokes! All fish were on arrow flash and brads dodgers with pink hoochies. Are the fish really that much bigger at merwin??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got to the lake at 8:00 had our twenty fish by 11:30. A little slower than the past few trips, a little wind, but luckily no rain. Fished on top about 50 to 80 feet back using electric trolling motor. Fish averaged a little smaller this time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yale report today May 19th. Ended up going solo. Had a wild idea at first to try merwin seeing how it was late(around 11am). Made a tour through the parking lot only to find yet another zoo! Opted again for the serenity of yale. Maybe 6 trailers in the lot and the ramp was wide open! Went across the lake then up to the colverts. Action was pretty much within the first 5 min and continued till I got my 10 really nice kokes! All fish were on arrow flash and brads dodgers with pink hoochies. Are the fish really that much bigger at merwin??
I've been alternating between Merwin and Yale. The Merwin fish are definitely a lot thicker! I would say the fillets are close to double the size. Much easier to get limits at Yale though, and no crowds to fight...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I've been alternating between Merwin and Yale. The Merwin fish are definitely a lot thicker! I would say the fillets are close to double the size. Much easier to get limits at Yale though, and no crowds to fight...
That is considerably Bigger. Might have to re visit the idea. We cut our teeth at merwin for sure. Defiantly a trade off.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Report for 5/29. On the water at 5:05. Started close to Yale Park and trolled to the east. Stayed east of the launch and was done at 7:30. Surface rod at 100 feet got 6 and downrigger set at 30 feet got 4. Two were 12 inches and the rest were 10ish. Also got a few pikeminnow. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I took my son to Merwin on Thursday 5/28. We launched at 6:15 and lower lot was only about half full. We trolled up and down both sides trying almost everything we had. Had two rods flatlining and one on the downrigger. Had a total of four bites, two of which hooked up, but came unhooked halfway to the boat. Never saw either fish.

We called it quits at 1:45 and drove up to Cougar to grab some lunch. Decided to hit Yale and launched around 2:30. There was a lot of people at Yale, but quite a few spots open and plenty of people leaving. Headed across the lake and up a ways, then started trolling down.

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

While none of the Yale fish were of Merwin size, none of them were what I would consider “dinks”. Most averaged in the 11”-12” range with quite a few around 13”.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took my son to Merwin on Thursday 5/28. We launched at 6:15 and lower lot was only about half full. We trolled up and down both sides trying almost everything we had. Had two rods flatlining and one on the downrigger. Had a total of four bites, two of which hooked up, but came unhooked halfway to the boat. Never saw either fish.
We called it quits at 1:45 and drove up to Cougar to grab some lunch. Decided to hit Yale and launched around 2:30. There was a lot of people at Yale, but quite a few spots open and plenty of people leaving. Headed across the lake and up a ways, then started trolling down.

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’️t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

While none of the Yale fish were of Merwin size, none of them were what I would consider “dinks”. Most averaged in the 11”-12” range with quite a few around 13”.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’️s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re you fishing a downrigger or just setbacks?

I am planning to take my 9yo daughter out tomorrow for her first Kokanee trip.

21 - 40 of 149 Posts