IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into some work on the big motor for the new to me sled. After calling 15 places or so I came to a couple conclusions

1- Ya better shop around. The work I am having quoted was in the 700-850 range from 7 shops. that gives me an idea that reality will be somewhere in there.

2- A well known place was 700 dollars higher than the rest of the pack! I wont be shopping there anytime soon. Same stuff, just more money. I guess I can't blame them for asking.

3- Ask about written warrenties on work and matls. I got hosed already, which is another story. Maybe I will start "As the ulcer turns" soon, and that wrench has lost my business and my buddies too forever. He lost 4 grand in soon to be done work today in one sentence.

3- The shop I figured was the most expensive, was right in there with the rest of the pack. I guess he wants more work than he already has??

4- A couple shops wont even do this work at all?? Some liability thing I suppose.

5- I am still waiting on calls from 5 shops that I have called since Friday. Apparently, they are too busy to call me back. Which tells us, just because they know how to fix boat motors, does not make them good managers and customer servive reps.

Also shop around for someone who you feel comfortable dealing with. A couple folks came across as very arrogant.

Some sounded like I was some sort of inconvience. They aint getting my money either.

One who was rude to me earlier as I was window shopping, was downright nice. I got it narrowed down to 3 that can compete and get it done before I retire in 2035.

Mark and the still learning about anything more advanced than oars dog.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I hate to see other fisherman and women get the run around at shops. I have decided to give out my secret for boat repair. The shop is called C&M Boat Shop the number is 503-829-3562. His name is Mel Woody and he is a fellow ifish member as well as a fisherman. I was lucky enough to stumble on to his shop about five years ago. He doesn't advertise, but he's always got work. I've had several things done by Mel and he's always been straight and fair with me. I don't know what you need done, but you owed to yourself to give him a call. The last time I had him do work to my boat he saved me about six hundred dollars over the shops I went to. Tell him your a ifish member he'll treat you right.
Hook'em

1 - 5 of 5 Posts