I have a X-85 Lowrance in my boat. It works great in rivers, bays and lakes. I't will not pick up any fish arches when out in the ocean? Anyone else have this problem? any advice or suggestions on what to try would be appricated.
I have nothing but trouble getting my x-85 to work worth a dollar (period). I have called and been in email contact with lowerance several times with no help. I would suggest selling it and getting a newer model. I hear nothing but good things from everyone that has one but I recieved a lemon.I do not graph anything at anytime. It is the most expencive depth finder that i have ever owned. feel free to call me or email me if you have any luck with it.
I would stay away from the X-15ci, or now it is the X-18 I believe. The only difference is a slightly bigger screen and updated software.
Out of the box the X-15ci didn't work right. (GPS not responding, wouldn't mark fish, wrong volt reading So I sent it in. Next one from the factory, doesn't work right. So I sent it in. Now I am waiting for the third unit.
Now I know why they gave away a free Fish Easy depth finder with the purchase of the X-15ci.
I've got an LMS 320 DF. It DID work great out of the box. In the ocean, I find that using the 50 Mhz transducer setting works better than the 200 Mhz. It also helps to turn the sensitivity way up. The default setting is 50%, which doesn't do the trick.
The one problem I did have was with the temperature link. It worked fine until a week ago, then it just quit. Turns out the "Y" cable that connects the water speed sensor to the transducer cable before it plugs into the unit was defective. I called Lowrance on Monday and received the replacement cable by FedEx yesterday. Plugged it in and it works fine again.
I have an X-65 and a X-85, I am only able to get the 85 to work in the salt. One thing that helps on the 85 to pick up the bottom and fish better is to slow the screen speed down a little. Also keeping the sensitivity at about 75% in the salt.
Keep playing with it, I just now got mine working good in the salt. For the first time I was able to graph the bottom out halibut fishing, 800 feet is tough to find, but it found it (with the speed set near zero )
I am looking to upgrade this year, but haven't decided on a unit yet. Good luck!
Thanks for the replys. I just got back from Garabaldi. I played with it with no results.
Pete: I didn't try the 50Mhz setting but I did have the sensitivity turned way up. But I had it set on 200Mhz.
ANDYCOHO: Like I said above, I still had my unit on 200Mhz and I had my sensitivity all the way up and my chart speed set almost max (89% -setting 9)
I am heading back down next weekend and will try these suggestions.
As for Fishing - Saturday was the flattest I had seen the ocean ever (pretty close) We got a late start around 7:00. It was a late night friday :cheers: One of my friends I took out had never been in the ocean and it was a perfect day. We got out to 200' and started fishing. We had 2 drive bye's, lost 1, released 2 nonclipped fish and by 9:00 my friend who had never been in the ocean was getting sick (both ends) So we had a short day on the ocean with no keepers.