IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back in from my Wyoming Deer and Antelope Hunt. All I can say is what an awesome trip it was.

The best way to describe the Antelope hunt is cut directly from my daily journal.

Hunt Day 2 -
After breakfast we drove around the area, and finally spotted an antelope herd about 1500 yards off of the hwy in a large field. We pulled off the road, and the real hunt was just beginning. It was obvious that there was no way we were going to just walk up on the herd, as there were too many Doe's who would have busted us in no time at all, so Ron (my guide) and I decided on a game plan for a stalk. There was a drainage ditch off to the west end of the field that ran in most of the distance to where we’d seen the herd. So we went down into the ditch and quietly walked up, periodically Ron crawling up to spot the antelope and check a range. Eventually we came to a point where Ron had spotted them, so he crawled up to check while I waited in the ditch.

After some time, Ron signaled for me to come up, and shrugging indicated they were gone. We looked around, figuring that perhaps the cows had busted us, alerting the antelope. So we cautiously began walking back towards the direction of the truck, and out slightly further into the field when I spotted an antelope about 200 yards off in the distance down another draw. We quickly dropped on hands and knees, and slowly crawled forward, seemingly only a few inches or a foot or two at a time, with stopping and glassing the area periodically. Gradually more and more of the herds Does began coming up the other side of the draw.

At this point we ranged them at about 168 yards. As there was some tall grass in between myself and the buck, in the prone position even with the bipod on the gun, I could not get a clear shot on the herd buck due to the tall grass, so Ron and I again crawled on our bellies forward, closing the gap to about 160 yards. The buck took his time coming up out of the draw, only rarely giving us a view of his horns, then turning with his rear towards us, not allowing for a reasonable shot. Eventually, after what seemed like hours but in reality was only a matter of maybe 10 minutes, maybe 15, he turned and presented a better shot. My shot was quartering towards us, to the Bucks right front quarter. It missed, and the buck and herd of Does quickly gathered together. :bigshock::shocked:

The Does basically surrounded the buck, almost as if to protect him. Eventually he came out on his own, and presented a nearly head on position, again at about 160 yards. I took the second shot, and immediately herd the thud, knowing well that he had been hit. The buck dropped in his tracks, for 30 seconds or so, then got back on his feet, so a second shot put him down on the spot. :smash:

All in all, this was the most exciting, exhilarating time I have ever had while hunting. The first shot (that hit) actually was the killing shot, taking out both lungs, and through and through. The second shots bullet lodged just under the abdominal skin, and was recovered.

The left bullet was from the goat, the right from the Mule Deer. Nosler 165gr Partitions.

One of the areas we were hunting for Mule Deer consisted of large Alfalfa fields on private lease ranch lands.

Hunt Day 3 - As 08:00 neared, it was becoming apparent that the Bucks we were hoping for were staying back in the mid-field ditch and tree line, or had already left for the hills in the pre-dawn hours. Ron suggested we move up the road slightly to check the far corner of the Alfalfa field, an area we could not view from our primary location, then if nothing there head on back to the Bunkhouse for breakfast. As we moved and crested the slight rise in the road ahead of us, We stopped and glassed down into the field to spot 3 moderate sized Bucks amid field. We sat there for 10-15 minutes watching them, trying to get a better view of their Antlers, trying to size them up. Occasionally the 2 larger Bucks would begin a short round of sparring with each other, apparently in preparation of the upcoming Rut season a month away. After watching them, we ranged them initially at about 290 yards. Gradually they moved into more reasonable range, 268 yards, then 250 yards. As we watched them, I made the decision to go ahead and take the largest of the 3. They were between 240-250 yards, and I waited for what seemed to be an eternity for the 3 to split up enough and turn to give a reasonable and safe shot. As the gun went off, I immediately heard the thud to indicate a hit, and my Buck tumbled to the ground instantly in his tracks as all the other deer in the field scattered in seemingly endless directions.

We watched my Buck and saw that he was still moving slightly, raising his head, so a second shot was made from the same distance with which that distinct “thud” was heard and there was no further movement from my Buck. The final range was 242 yards. We got down to the Buck, and I was close to tears with emotions. He was a beautiful creature and I thank God for allowing me this opportunity to take him, and enjoy the bounty of this land.

Not as large of a buck as some we'd seen before in the distance, but for my first Deer, I am happy.

I also got 2 additional Antelope Doe's for the freezer, though did not get any pics of them.
This was the first real vacation I've taken in many years, and the first Antelope and Deer for me ever. Until last year's Elk season, this was also the first real time I've been hunting in about 20+ years, so all in all it was an awesome learning experience for me as well.
I've already booked a return trip for next year with the outfitter too. :cheers::dance::dancingman:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
That is awesome. I am glad to see a hunter of the opposite gender enjoying success afield.:)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the comments and PM's. :)

As for the outfitter, I met him at the Sportsmans show last year. He's not here on ifish, so if you want the info, just PM me and I'll send ya the info.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
:clap: Congrats Nancy. My hats off to you. May you have many more hunts to add to your diary. :dance:

Are you going elk hunt later this fall?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
:clap: Congrats Nancy. My hats off to you. May you have many more hunts to add to your diary. :dance:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes, I am doing Deer hunting for the next week or so here, then Saddle Mtn Elk hunt next month.

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
Way to go Nancy! Looks like you had a great time and took some nice animals to boot! It looks like the bullets did their job and you did yours.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Congrads to you that is a big smile so I know you enjoyed your self and I would be proud too way to go 2 nice bucks:cheers:

Way to go Nancy! Looks like you had a great time and took some nice animals to boot! It looks like the bullets did their job and you did yours.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
I want to add my, belated, congratulations. I'm not sure how I missed this for over a week. I had been waiting to read about your trip. When I saw your post this evening, I knew it must be here somewhere and 'went looking. Thanks for the great story and pictures. It's obvious you had a great trip. Don

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Don,

Had a great time. Just actually got home thursday night after spending a week up in Portland out of my moms and Deer hunting / pre-season Elk scouting.
Have found a couple of nice Elk herds with some good shooter bulls. Just hoping they're still in the area in a couple more weeks! :smash:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Good luck on the deer and the elk. We hunted the Saddle Mountain Unit for many years - 'love the area - always find elk - 3Pt or better gets tougher. 'Brother and I are hunting 200M1 Muzzlestuffer elk and we'll be down South of Oakridge starting November 9th, for a week or so. This year, for our general deer tags, we've been relegated to general season. We're not hunting weekends - - 'taking a day-or-two off here and there and hunting during the week to avoid the hoards. Then, in January, we hunt 623B - North Bank Habitat Area - spike or doe. Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts