IFish Fishing Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 2010 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Yeah, right after getting some of out F35's they bought some Russian anti aircraft missiles. Erdogan not to be trusted.
I guess it must be Turkeys location and relation with Muslim countries that allow them to be a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). They're not even close to the North Atlantic!

They have a (bad) habit of playing both sides. (imo) Not sure I would have sold them our state of the art aircraft fighters!

·
Registered
12,034 Posts
Turkey should be kicked out of NATO to make room for Sweden and Finland. Turkey is too tight with Putin. I'd be surprised if Erdogan wasn't passing western NATO tech to Russia.
You don’t think Russia is upset with Turkey… their drones handed Russia their tails in Syria and now again in Ukraine. The TB2 is a two conflict mvp at this point against Russia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Erdogan has gone full on religious totalitarian who may never let go let go of power. Sad, as after WWI under "The Father of Turkey", Mustafa Ataturk, and the other "Young Turks" declared Turkey should "look to the west" to modernize and became a constitutional democracy.
That's pretty much the way they were headed when they joined the NATO and other alliances with the west. Since being elected Pres. in 2014 there is little evidence Erdogan will ever let go of power. Not sure they really belong in NATO the way things have gone, but they are in a strategic position, and despite backsliding into a Islamic based government, they are a middle east power house who seem to think they own access to the Black Sea. Tricky biz, but better to have them as an ally than the alternative.. Sorta like Saudi, but with water wealth instead of oil..

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yes Erdogan is tricky to deal with. I thought it was pretty ballsy when the Turkey shot down that Russian fighter for crossing into their air space.
Not sure why he has insisted on buying Russian S400 air defense system to our consternation.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
So where do y’all think we currently reside on the WW3-o-meter?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Strangelove. Bad ending, lol,
Word is, the FSB is in "disfavor" for it's intelligence failures, the GRU (military intel) is taking the lead. More generals on leave, fired or in jail.
This guy gives pretty good daily, sometimes twice, updates. He says by the Summer Ukr. will have 1m trained for it's militia. Not sure where he gets that, but it's probably possible when you consider how many non combatant militia members are needed to keep logistics flowing, first aid and the like.
I also read, not sure if true, that Ukr pilots are being trained on F15's. That could be a game changer, if true. They will probably have to use highways as air strips.Yikes.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Would a few sorties with Polish fighters in F35's and Ukr. F15'S be considered escalation? Argh.
Erdogan says Sweden and Finland harbor "terrorists." I wouldn't be surprised if he wants a few journalists extradited to stand trial for fraud as a swap for NATO membership. Just saying, he hates Turkish journalists. In democratic countries.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
One would think, in the name of national security (And to help secure world peace now and in the future), the US would be ramping up energy production.

We could sell to markets that are in no win situation with Russian energy.

If we have not taken this simple step, it's very telling.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
One would think, in the name of national security (And to help secure world peace now and in the future), the US would be ramping up energy production.

We could sell to markets that are in no win situation with Russian energy.

If we have not taken this simple step, it's very telling.
One would think! However, I'm not so sure the ones (supposedly) thinking, are thinking in that direction. It doesn't fit the "Green" agenda. (imo)

I agree though. This is a fabulous opportunity to secure long term contracts to supply energy to Europe and other places. Good for U.S. Good for them. Bad for Russia. Win/win/win!!!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would hope there’s some of that going on, but I read something a while back that explained that it’s a much bigger/slower deal to ramp up production than it might seem. Complex on many levels, from extraction to shipping and everything in between. The boom/bust nature of the biz makes it a dicey affair... and there’s not a lot of unused capacity just sitting idle. Perhaps long-term contracts would mitigate some of that. Then again the geopolitics of this are fluid. Would Europe agree to buy Russian LNG if Putin has an accident on the operating table and his replacement declares a giant “ooops” and says they’ll pull troops back to their original borders if Europe buys the LNG? I suspect, in the interest of peace, that’s a yes.

The new NATO with Sweden and especially Finland is pretty cool stuff. Could we ask for stronger, more representative of our values, new partners? Not sure we could. As I said earlier I’m biased towards the Nordic countries due to blood ties, myself and my naturally blonde wife, but even still I’ve admired how they take care of their business from afar for decades. Don’t you wish our .gov could be more, what’s a good word, more “functionary” like theirs, and less like weird rock-star royalty the way ours turns into? I do. Then again their population seems more rational “writ large” than ours, so maybe ya get what ya deserve. Anyway, very glad to bring them into the fold.

Reactions: rowmanholiday

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I would think Russia has and is running low on key armaments and ammunition. They will not talk about it, but it must be happening. Ukraine has been greatly benefiting from stuff they capture (tanks out of fuel, stuck in the mud, etc... I cannot see how Russia would have budgeted and stockpiled for a war going on this long. Their loss of experienced/capable fighters appears to be and will fuel retreats. How long before a breaking point? Russia must know.

Sure a lot of chatter about Putin's bad health (Leukemia and more). His death would provide an out for whoever takes his place, as embaressing and expensive that would be.

Kind of funny to hear Putin threaten Finland and Sweden. Finland would and has stood up to Russia.

1921 - 1940 of 2010 Posts