IFish Fishing Forum banner
2641 - 2660 of 2764 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It's hard to know if he's serious or just trolling us, lol. Talk about Orwellian double speak. Putin's machine has it down to near perfection. Now the Russians are opening numerous war crimes investigations, as in "touché.". It's hard to find humor in it when so many innocent lives are being lost and destroyed.
No question we have a violent past. Pre history ancient DNA shows that when the first farmers replaced hunter gatherers in Europe, strangely the female chromones of the hunter gatherers was all that survived. The males were apparently all killed Then again, when the pastoralists came off the steppe with the first domesticated horses and wheels into Europe, they again replaced the first farmers, and again with only some of the female chromosomes showing some women survived.
One would hope we have learned something in all this time.
Here's a morale booster, I'd just hate to think of any of these gals getting captured. Probably part of Odessa's home guard.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Can you imagine the Brit's "going along" with Nassi propaganda during the Blitz. Jeez, free speech for the enemy when you are fighting for your very existence? Yikes, common sense flies out the window with some of these clowns..

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
"The Ukrainians have the absolute right to right to pursue whatever war policies they want"
I believe their policy is to prevent themselves from being annexed by imperial Russia. I don't think they wanted war in the first place. They are pursuing the policies that they think will save their existence as a country. Their choices are almost entirely reactive to the actions of Russian aggression.

The Ukrainian Government , in the name of war, has all but ended core civil liberties..."
Civil liberties were greater in Ukraine before it was invaded than after... imagine that!

I don't know if that Glen Greenwald is a Russian stooge or not, but he definitely wrote some moronic things there.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Independent as in what Russia would say. Looks like Russia is left to missiles to infrastructure and civilian targets. It's how they roll. Agree to allow Ukr to ship grain then level Odessa. Sounds about right. Lavrov is in Africa making a fool of himself. Pathetic.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The Battle of Kherson begins. I think this is a big deal. Hope they got the bridge with this HIMARS strike.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Apparently, they are hitting a RR bridge too.
These phone intercepts are informative, assuming they are for real. Idk why they wouldn't be. It sounds about right based on what's happening on the ground. "phosphorous at night is beautiful," yuck.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Those calls illustrate the difference between fighting for the ground you stand on, vs. being an invader. I think there’s a massive difference in mindset, resolve, morale, and at the end of the day, backbone.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Yeah, I wish more of their soldiers would make it home alive, if for no other reason than to tell the truth about what's happening. I suppose they will still be "cockroaches" per Russian propaganda, but folks bac home have no idea. More Himars coming in along with 100's of thousands or 155 shells. Only God knows how this will end, but maybe if AFU could take back Kherson there would be some way to resolve it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It is indeed getting harder to imagine how this ends. The bobcat seems uninterested in letting Putin out of the phone booth.

On some level, it feels like Western arms could win this damn thing. I mean, if they had 100 HIMARS and endless rockets... Russia is by most accounts a spent force, militarily, and Putin appears afraid to put Russia’s economy on full wartime footing.

On the subject of the military industrial complex that we were talking about a couple weeks ago, our representatives on both sides of the aisle just shoveled many billions more towards the Pentagon than they even asked for, if I read the article right. A congressman on the committee who belongs to the party that in past decades has been less inclined to boost military budgets put it this way: “it’s a debate we lose”, meaning, they’d take an electoral beating if they so much as PEEPED opposition to increased spending. I guess my point is that if we want to see the military budget go down, eventually, it needs to not be a “virtue signaling” cudgel that one side beats the other up with come election time. That means that the MiC haters here will need to NOT require high military spending from prospective or incumbent representatives, and demand that their reps not use it as a weapon. I’ll believe that when I see it, but I’m game.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Speaking of US arms... this is from a Popular Mechanics article; I tried to convert it to a link I could paste here but hit a paywall. Edit: I’ll try to cut/paste some sections.

It had an interesting section of why the A10 isn’t suited for this war in the Donbas. Too slow, no hills or mountains to use as cover, and AA defenses have come a long ways since the A10 was born. Too bad. It’s an incredible airframe. Sounds like we will be giving them F16’s, and a very important component to THAT is that it opens up a grab-bag of highly potent NATO weaponry that the F16 can use.

The U.S. Air Force signaled last week that it’s willing to send A-10 Warthog planes to Ukraine, but Ukrainian pilots are more interested in flying F-16 Fighting Falcons—and there’s a good chance they’ll get them. The offer to send A-10 ground-attack planes comes at a time when the United States and the rest of NATO are auditing their arsenals for weapons to help Ukraine resist the Russian invasion and take back lost territory.

The A-10 was originally designed to fly combat missions over Western Europe, using terrain to mask its approach and departure. In the 1980s, a typical mission might see an A-10 approaching at low altitude, keeping a row of hills or even mountains between it and the target. The A-10 would fly up and over the hills, drop a string of Rockeye cluster bombs on a column of Soviet tanks, then quickly escape by flying over another set of hills. The tactics kept the A-10 hidden as long as possible from enemy defenses.

This sort of attack would be impossible in Ukraine; Eastern Ukraine is as flat as the American Midwest, and the only real protection an A-10 would have is Earth’s own curvature. An observer on the front line would spot a low-flying A-10 from much farther away—and some of them would be carrying surface-to-air missiles.

Shortly after news reports about the A-10 came out, Ukrainian military leaders made it clear the A-10 was not actually something they wanted. The Ukrainians would rather have something “fast and versatile” like the F-16 Fighting Falcon, a multi-role fighter currently being replaced in the Air Force’s inventory by the F-35. The F-16’s speed and maneuverability would have a decent chance of successfully dogfighting Russian fighters.

Ukraine’s adoption of an American-made jet would also allow its air force to access America’s vast arsenal of high-tech guided munitions. American AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles would be much better at downing Russian fighters and cruise missiles than Ukraine’s aging missile inventory. An F-16 can carry air-to-ground weapons with greater ranges than the A-10, including the AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon and the AGM-88 High Speed Anti-Radiation missile. F-16s could even attack Russian warships with AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Agree, A 10's might be single sortie kinda thing. Not good for morale. I suspect if SAMS weren't so good these days we'd see a lot more aggression from the Russians. They don't want to loose jets like they do tanks. F 15's and 16's.
I wonder how 22's and 35's would do in that air space. I doubt we will ever know, but you have to think they could slip in a few good missions before the Russians caught on.
Germany finally sent in a whopping 3 of those Gephart AA vehicles. Might be good for drones, helos...? Sounds like Russia wants to saturate the air with (Iranian?) drones in search of Himars. There's a bounty on them, for sure.
My favorite sound and sight of the war...destruction of Russian weapons. More of this, less white phosphorous.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I’m guessing it rhymes with “American satellites”. :)

If you believe the propaganda, HIMARS is proving to be “all a’ that“ as far as being the game-changer it was presented as. Love it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Full disclosure, some images are disturbing. But here’s a great photo compilation of blown up Russian stuff, if you are into that kind of thing.

The scale of this thing is incredible. SO MUCH wrecked heavy equipment. WOW.

2641 - 2660 of 2764 Posts