IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i go to Sportsmans to get new arrows and tell the guy behind the counter to set me up with the arrows he would prefer to use on a bow that shoots 28'' arrows at 275 fps with 66lbs of pull and use 100 grain tips. he sets me up with goldtips 3555. Now my question is why later do I see that gold tip recommends 5575 for my setup? the 5575 are 25 grains heavier and im guessing flex less in flight. do you guys think I will be ok using 3555?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
so let me guess, he sold me the wrong ones. what will being under spined do?

I think the guy may have bean right with the 3555's.

You also dont specify anything about the bow, or what model of Gold Tip you bought.

Bottom line your post doesnt have enough info to make a good choice. Maybe 5575's are what you need.

Info that may help:

Compound or other (speed suggests compound)
Draw length
Hard cam, or soft cam
release or fingers
what type of rest

If your arrow is underspined it will hit the target at an angle at short range. The vanes may correct this at longer ranges. In other words arrow flight will be poor. Overspined will produce similar results.

Carbon arrows are quite forgiving as are center shot bows. You may be fine with what you have.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Gold tip has a chart on their website, but from what I can remember you may need the 5575. I think it's more of a ball park figure with some room in it but 3555 is more or less for a bow shooting 35 lbs to 55 lbs, you're shooting 66 lbs, 5575 may be the right one. Call Kenny at Kutch Archery and he'll set you straight.
Go hang out at archerytalk dot com and you can get more info on all bow related stuff.
Myles

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
3555's are definitely the wrong arrows. I wouldn't even try them! You are borderline between the 5575 and the 7595. I am in the same category, but am pulling 70lbs and I shoot the 7595's.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well %#[email protected] there gos my $ on more stuff I didnt need :passout:You know I try to have a little faith on my retailer and I get burnt for it. I guess I should of done my homework my self.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I am sure if you go back they will remedy this for you. Be nice, talk to the hunting manager if necessary and they will give you credit as well as set you up properly.

Sportsman's is not a pro shop and sometimes they hire people that don't necessarily have the expertise. It takes awhile to reveal that.

Good Luck !

BTW Broken arrow has plenty of arrows in stock if that doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
are you guys for real??? those are kids arrows
you dont want them with a 66 lb. draw they prob. weigh 200 gr.

Looking at the arrow specs from Gold Tip it looks like the weight difference between a 3555 and a 5575 is somewhat less than 1 grain per inch.

Maybe the guy needs the 5575, odds are the 5575 is what he needs, but you seem to be exagerating quite a bit.

Probably his best bet would be to buy a book or two about archery and learn a bit about arrow flight and all that is related.

I dont think there is much harm in shooting them. I doubt the 20-30 grain diff between the arrows would be enough to put him in the danger zone with too light of an arrow.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you have to eat the arrows, and you find that they shoot eratically, you can simply turn your bow down a bit. A few fps isn't going to matter much.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am sure if you go back they will remedy this for you. Be nice, talk to the hunting manager if necessary and they will give you credit as well as set you up properly.

Sportsman's is not a pro shop and sometimes they hire people that don't necessarily have the expertise. It takes awhile to reveal that.

Good Luck !

BTW Broken arrow has plenty of arrows in stock if that doesn't work out for you.

Retail is retail and you will find that most of the employees don't know a thing about sporting goods, let alone the technicalities.

·
Registered
978 Posts
SO i go to Sportsmans to get new arrows and tell the guy behind the counter to set me up with the arrows he would prefer to use on a bow that shoots 28'' arrows at 275 fps with 66lbs of pull and use 100 grain tips. he sets me up with goldtips 3555. Now my question is why later do I see that gold tip recommends 5575 for my setup? the 5575 are 25 grains heavier and im guessing flex less in flight. do you guys think I will be ok using 3555?
the 35/55 marking on the arrow is a general spine rating for that arrow, it means the arrow is designed to flex correctly when shot from a bow set at 35-55 lbs and the arrow cut to 28 inches . all the ratings are generally for a medium cam and using a release aid . the arrows may fly okay with field points but will probably fly very erratic when you put on your broadheads ,which increase the length of the arrow and decrease the dynamic spine of the shaft . Go to Eastons website as the have a very comprehensive arrow tuning guide which is very informative .

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
It all depends on the guy behind the counter every place has a guy when you see him you just turn around and walk out ,and I`ll bet I know which guy it was ;);););)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts