IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the mouth of the Colitz on friday, saw a gentleman net a very large chinook for his buddy, they were only a few yards away, myself, my friend and the two guys in the boat next to us all could tell this fish had an extra fin, could tell with the naked eye. They proceded to put the fish on a stringer and went on back to thier slot in the hog line. Would you have said anything is my question, We didn't say anything but it sure did put a thorn in my side. :whazzup: :shrug:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
it's a tough call. I most certainly would have if I felt they were not the type to pull out a gun and shoot at me. In a hogline with others around I suspect they would feel pressured enough to eith let it go or take off. I'd get the number off the boat and report it anyway. That kind of thing chaps my butt too!

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Sounds like the didn't know what they were doing. If they knew they were breaking the law, I would think they would've tried to hide it in some way. Had you said something, you probably would've been doing them a favor by getting them out of a ticket. Not everyone knows the rules, even though we all should.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Call the gammies from you cell phone. Ignorance of the law is no defense!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You should take a closer look with your "Naked eye" Because they are in Washingtonish waters and the clip could of been a partial growback! And I believe in Wash thats OK... Only believe half of what you see even if you are 1 foot away! Do what you feel is right!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm with 5Cents on this issue! If you see someone take a non-clipped fish, take their boat numbers and a description and call the W/ODFW Hotline. Maybe you're wrong, and the gamee's will be able to tell the guys at the dock that their fish was fine to keep. I certainly wouldn't confront them.... That's not my job.

Laws are laws! As we've read on this board, Fish Science is VERY complicated! Unless we follow the rules, what chance do the runs have of surviving and hopefully (someday) thriving??

Report violators! Tim...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Guns don't scare me, I am bulletproof. (did I say that out loud!) No, really though use your cell and turn the SOB's in.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think that if someone is being blatent about doing something like that, the you could take their number.

I follow the laws, but the problem anymore is that there are a few people on the river who think they are on a mission to save the world and start calling the cops before they know what they seen. That is very irritating to me. Helping enforce the rules is one thing, but calling everyone around into the cops is not cool unless you are 100% certain.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I would have said something like...."Did you know this area is a clipped fin area only?"...."just didn`t want you to get in any trouble" after that they are on there own. And the ones that keep a nate after I say something? if I have a cell phone I`ll make a call right in front of there faces. A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch....don`t be afraid of possiblity of a gun, LIVE.

[ 07-28-2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive reciently had a situation that fits into this topic, I had 2 guest on my boat that I have not fished with before, during coversation the topic of catching and releasing cliped fish and there logic is, we should keep them just because the indians well get them in the nets lator on, Im not trying to start a debate on the indians, but I try at all cost to obey the laws I think I have good ethics and practice catch and release at times even when leagle to keep fish. but this does shine a little light on what people who dont chase fish the way I do think. I do not like the nets in the rivers and I hate gill nets. the perse nets are not my favorite but at least there is some work/skill involved in setting a perse net correctly. for example I have read reports on how bad my Peers (you guys) thought it was for someone who kept a fish that he had caught when he snagged the line that was hanging off the fish, the fish was hooked in the fin so it was not fair hooked. I know the guy, he is a older gentelmen who I know has caught many leagle fish. His logic was the fish barely had any life left in him no fight at all (it was teathered to a log jamb)it had about 50 feet of line attatched, He was going to keep a fish that day,(before going to work) so he might as well keep that one due to it probly not going to servive anyway...the roast was on...I do say things one time I thought I was going to get my butt kicked because I mentiond that I thought the guys fishing Jigs on the samish were lining fish. they leave there jigs sitting on the bottom and set when they feel the fish, If they were keeping there jigs in motion I would feel different. I kept to my guns and thank god the 6 foot 3 farm boy with them Ive been settign fence posts all my life build didnt take it any farther then threating to kick my A$$, so I geuss my stand on this is be careful but also keep a open mind...Im off my saop box...DJ

[ 07-28-2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: DJFISHS2XS ]

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
I see this alot in washington waters.The Cowlitz, Lewis and Kalama rivers are frequent locations that I fish and this is a very familiar site.
I usually say something, even tho I no the response I am going to get.
There r so few gammies around that it is pert near impossible to catch any of them. :mad:
I will keep speaking to these guys and reporting what I can, but I very seldom hold my breath.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nope. I would not want to scare them off. Keep them unsuspecting and fishing until the gammies have been notified.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts