IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this non fishing topic, so that I can get a feel for how you feel about an exciting new venture that Ifish has been invited to participate in!
In an effort to have a solid financial basis in which to operate on, we are exploring becoming our own ISP.
iFish.net would be offering Nationwide Dialup Service, DSL in most of Oregon and
SW Washington through Qwest, Verizon, and CenturyTel, and professional
tech support at competitive rates.
We at ifish.net know that you have come to expect a certain level of service with us and that is why we are partnering with a local, professional ISP with a track record of
excellence to offer you this service.
This could be an incredible way for us to keep the site going and improve what we have to offer you here.
But we want to hear from you.
Please let us know if
you would be open to using ifish.net for your Dialup and DSL solutions.
Come on, wouldn't you like to have a johndoe.ifish.net address? :smile:

Feel free to comment, or ask questions below!

Jen

[ 07-01-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how to answer that. :smile:

Yes, .com was the first, but .net is pretty common now, too.

Jen

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Comcast is all .NET now......I have cable or I would be interested.....

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Jen.... I've had my email address since '96. And even though I'd like to have an "Ifish" on my address, it'd take alot of work on my part to make the change....

I don't see it happening, at least for me... Sorry.

Tim :smile:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sign me up now. I hate compuserve and have been thinking of leaving for a long time. Just to lazy to make the call, maybe now I will have a new place to go!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Free ifish.net email = maybe, but ifish as ISP = no way... Too many fish in that space who are losing their shirts; stick with your unique niche and keep kicking butt! If you are looking to go the for profit route, charge us an annual fee to be able to post. My 2 cents. Mack S.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm with Mack Slayer.... Charge us to keep this site goin'. I have NO problem with paying a fee for my use of Ifish, since I use this site/service, almost daily....

Gosh, what a concept..... :hoboy:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, Mack, that's JUST the thing that attracts me to it. It's not a hightech silicon manufacturing proposition... It's small, it's local, it's dependable, and when you have problems, you don't have to press one for tech support, 2 for a recroded person, 3 for a visa offer, 4 for lunch at Mcdonalds, 5 for ...
You get the idea... It'll be family. I like that idea, and I'm going to get an account if I end up doing this.

I like the part that if I travel, I'll have a dial up number available to me all over the place, and maybe even DSL while I'm out of town! Whoo hoo!

It's not a huge business proposal, and I'm not going to get rich... The proposal is just an extension of the services we offer.

We'll see how it goes... Still haven't signed on the dotted line, but I am in the major thought process about it. :smile:

Jen

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mack and Tim, from now on, you owe 10k a month. K? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Whooo hoooo, Vegas, here I come!!!

Jen

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
OUCH..... there goes my pension...

I'm sure you know MUCH more about this than I do Jen!

Just do whatever you have to do..... and I'll continue to be a supporter of Ifish......

Tim :bowdown:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jennie, Becoming an ISP is a big deal. Ive helped multiple ISPs get funded a few years ago but since then mostly helped others trying to sell their biz. The economics of having to buy bandwidth and compete with the crowd that has unlimited bandwidth makes it tough to survive.

Prices going down, costs up. AND the competition is ready to virtually give it away. Unless you can build a critical mass in excess of 2 million customers, your long term success would be questionable.

Sorry to give less than supportive advice but this is how I see it and lived thru it for the past 4 years.
thx -j

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Maybe if you decide to go ahead with it, you could parnter up with an existing successful internet provider. That way the costs are split as well as the risks. Just have a Killer Attack Lawyer draw up the contract for you. As far as switching, it depends. I'm really happy with the provider I have now (pcez.com) and I'm reluctant to switch from them.

JMO,
D.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
As well as the seasurf folks have treated me in the past several years, I would never consider changing.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
JohnB,

Jennie would just be a reseller, the Wizard in Oz vs. the man behind the curtain (Verizon). No real ISP work for her. Easy money.

If a couple thousand folks (30% of Ifishers) went for it, be a nice little residual income.

I don't see much of downside other than folks getting mad at Jennie when Verizon has a problem.

I think her biz opportunities are that and an online marketplace.

Selling GetBent's lures for example. She gets a cut, GetBent sells a ton, everybody's living the high life.

Brion

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
seems like the vote is close to a 3 way split. personally, i'm pretty happy with my dial up because it's super cheap compared to most of the others and i get reliable service. i've been considering going to dsl but i can't handle the price tag and what i do online doesn't justify ponying up for more bandwidth.

margins are slim and getting slimmer in the provider market. you'd have a tough time actually making money on that deal. unless you're going to do a cut-rate deal on it, you won't get many converts. and the email address thing is going to add a lot of inertia to those folks on the cusp.

i'd rather see a pay to play deal here on ifish. i only did my F&H news deal for a year and stopped doing TGF when they went to a pay deal. i'd pay for ifish though. in fact, i've already been paying for the last couple of years via donation. and it would eliminate the semi-annual lurker bashing thread.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Jen, i think it is a great idea. But i share what other are saying. I think it should be a pay to play thing. No use adding even more stress, what happens when we are calling you with a problem and you are trying to get out and catch some fish???

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'd definately consider the change, but I am a cheap college student with no money so I don't know if I'd be willing to change. :wink: I have one of the $10.99 or $9.99 per month providers. If you could come somewhere in that ballpark, I'd be all over it.

Ryan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jen,

I owned an isp for several years. Even had a reseller program. The headaches vs the profit just wasnt enough for me. If you would like to email me I would be more than happy to give you any info you might need going in. For me to vote either way I would need more info. As for switching I couldnt do it. I have had cable for years and couldnt down drade to dial up or dsl.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts