IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1.5 pints of chopped clams (it works with a pound or 2 of left over salmon, halibut, ling cod etc. too.)
2 cups clam juice
1/3 lb. bacon - finely chopped
5-6 potatos -1/2" dice
1 onion - med. diced
1 small carrot- finely chopped
2 ribs celery - diced 1/4"
1 Tbsp chives
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups half & half (or whipping cream if you dare)

1 brick cream cheese sliced in 1/4 inch pieces to melt easily OR... if you're trying to be good...1 can of cream of celery soup

1 tbsp butter
ground black pepper to taste

Fry bacon in dutch oven over medium heat, after grease is rendered, throw in 2 paper towels and stir to soak up all but about 1 tbsp of the bacon fat. Remove and toss the paper towels.

Add the onion, celery, carrot - cook about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.

Add potatos, garlic salt, chives, and stir and cook another 7-8 minutes while still on medium heat. Keep stirring to coat potatos and prevent sticking to pot.

Add the 2c. clam juice to cover all the veggies - raise heat to a low boil, then lower heat and simmer 20 minutes until potatos are tender. If needed, you might need to add just a bit of water to BARELY cover veggies before simmering. Stir as needed to prevent sticking to bottom of pot.

After potatos have softened, add the 2 cups half & half (or cream), can of celery soup (or cream cheese), clams, and butter - stir until well mixed and cheese is melted.

Simmer at low heat another 20-25 minutes to thicken and melt cream cheese. Stir as needed to prevent burning or sticking to pot!! If you like really thick chowder, remove and puree 1.5 cups of the cooked potatos and dump back in pot.

Top bowls of chowder with ground pepper and snipped chives.

Yeah...it probably has a bazillion calories, but dang is it good! For the healthier option, substitute the celery soup for the cream cheese, and milk or half & half, for the cream. You can thicken with pureed cooked potatos if you use milk instead of the cream. I don't add flour to thicken like some recipes as it seems to give a chalky taste and a gluey texture.

· Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the New Endland style again. I usually skip the celery soup alternative and throw in the brick of cream cheese that's cut in slices so it melts easier. If you want to thicken more you can mix 3 tablespoons flour with the milk or cream before you add it. Stir in the flour well so there's no lumps.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
I've taken this recipe as a base and changed up a few things, mostly adding more bacon, clams, and adding a couple more ingredients. It is a huge hit in our family when we're in a chowder mood...........

We do the half/half, cream cheese version, it's way more creamier....

Thanks again Waterbobber for posting............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
I use regular russet's and I do not peel them, just give the a good scrubbing.....
I wanted to add, don't put the russets in the chowder to early as they will start to break down. I cut mine up into 1/2" cubes and add about and hour before I plan to eat.............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

· Registered
4,441 Posts
A buddy who is a good chowda cook says one of the big secrets is boiling the potatoes in the clam juice. He only makes huge batches for New Year's Eve and family. He uses the very large cans of clams from the Pacific Seafood.

· Registered
108 Posts
The best I've ever made may be the best I've ever tasted, it was Ifish's Chef Serge's Clam Chowder recipe. Mmmmmm. It would be difficult to try something else at this point his was so good, but his is missing your "1 brick cream cheese sliced in 1/4 inch pieces to melt easily OR... if you're trying to be good...1 can of cream of celery soup". Worth a try, I thank you for the recipe.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
If you want consistently good cooked potato's try cooking them in an instant pot.
Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the InstaPot and add colander with the diced potatoes on top of the water(season potatoes if desired). Close the lid and set to manual for 4 minutes. Once time completes release pressure manually.

This also makes it great for potato salad!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this one to the top to go along with the Manhattan style recipe.........

Again, read through all the comments to up the game on this recipe as well.......

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Bumping this to the top for the up coming colder/wet weather...............

Read through all the comments to up the game on this recipe as well.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts