IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched the still pretty new to me sled saturday at 12:30. Big engine fires right up(we have stuck a considerable amount of time and money into it trying to work out some cobwebs)almost ready to put it in reverse and it dies. Up the ramp we go.

Wrenching in the parking lot is becoming one of my favorite pastimes as of late. With a minimal amount of grease under my nails, she barks to life. Back it down the ramp again. Get the pump wet. She fires, idles rough for a bit, and dies again. Up the ramp we go.

Some more grease under the nails later( another reason to always wear raingear is to keep grease and grit off the clean duds- My tech tip of the day) and one more dirty rag and it lights up.Back it down again. Get the pump wet. She fires, and dies again. I say(word filter here) and tell Dawn to back it in deep.

I wish the big engine was as perfect as the kicker. We may not be going fast, but we are going fishing. We zoom as fast as the 8 will push and nose into the channel.

After dumping the anchor, I sit and think about the whole thing. I test the word filter, knowing it won't make any difference.After a couple hours, we putter upstream a few hundred yards and dump the danforth again.

The phone rings. A bud is on the big river. He is in the slot. 3 in the box for 4 guys. I test some more. He is a 7 or 8 miles of running with the big motor. That is a long troll at 4pm.

I think Hogmaster trolled by us, but faked that he did not know the grump in the slow boat.He did not give the dog a sammie. This makes the dog grumpy too.

We stay til 6, then zip as fast as 'ol reliable will push. When you are puttering along it gives you too much time to think. I curse some more.

We float the new to me onto the trailer. dawn ends up getting her feet wet cranking it up on the trailer. She tests the filter. the dog thinking about the sammie that could have been joins in.

On the up side. I now know by memory what size the nuts and bolts are. A real time saver when you are standing in the parking lot sweating in your raingear. :wink:

Coulda been worse though.... The kicker runs great. :smile:

Mark and the solenoid or starter dog.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Flatfish---just remember that BOAT really stands for---Break Out Another Thousand---good luck .
Terry

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Surely you jest! Or are you just surly? I could see why.

Jeez, We coulda towed you to the slot. It was Sturgeon Tom's boat, like I woulda cared???

Too bad, I even had an extra sandwich, but I was too busy making sure Tom wasn't going to break one of my rods and make me test the filter that I didn't notice you out there in your grumpy way.

By the way, we found out that a really loud squack on a duck call qualified as a noise maker during our boat inspection!

Replace them both!

[ 05-11-2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about a tow, but didn't want to break a rod. We didn't have a spare in the boat. I am sure you understand.

Got the solenoid today( for what it is worth I called Harveys and Stevens in Tigard. Bothe were within a few cents of each other on price)and will try there first.

Oh cool, I looked at the part next to the one in the engine, and they do not look even remotely alike. Swell. :sick:

The motor starts fine( well fine til Sat.) but after it starts, the starter will occasionally try to start the thing again( as it is running). Which makes for some funny noises. Probably hard on the starter too!

So unless my cussing is in the wrong direction, it is either the key switch, the solenoid, or there is a short somewhere.

The short thing seems remotely possible( we had Harvey's put in a new gasket on the cooling jacket and he had to remove the powerhead to do that.It may be that something could have gotten nicked when they did that. Or it was already nicked and it just happened to fall apart directly after he worked on it. Just speculating right now) but to be honest I would rather replace parts that probably have a limited lifespan than try to chase some stinking short. If that is it, I will probably break my record of 117253 syllables in 1 cussword. Probably within the first hour of working on it :shocked: .

Thanks for the kind words Terry. If I keep this pace up for long, I could have bought the one that cost too much! What is the difference between a 22'er with a 200 and an old 18 flatbottom with a 115?? About 3 gaskets, a starter, one carb rebuild, an electrical short, and one tiller arm.... Ha Ha so funny I cried.

Oh well, at least the kicker loves me as much as the dog loves roast beef.

[ 05-12-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
ZaQ had some problems on his big motor here a while back... the darn thing would die every time the RPM's would go above 1500... came to find out that the kill switch wires were busted and every time he turned the throttle they would touch and kill the engine

I hope you get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Sorry for your motor troubles Mark! :depressed:

But you're right about one thing... I'm sure the dog loves roasted cow! :grin:

Best of luck with the motor.... :smile: :shrug:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Flatfish- I had an 87 ford that the insulation shrunk and pulled back on the wires at the ends. One night I hit a bump and the most aufull noise started. I thought Hogmaster was along and dragging a net under the truck or something.
Turned out that the starter had engaged. The noise went a away after a while, but the lights were real dim all the way home. I replaced the starter and the solenoid and everything seemed fine but I did not trust it. Solenoids fail "OFF" not "ON", it jsut don't happen (very large spring inside).
I ran the truck and then started playng with everything I could find, wiggle it, turn it on, turn it off etc. I finally pulled the headlight switch on and GRRRRRIIIINNNDDDDD! Ouch!
Shut everything down and thought about this for a while. Why would the solenoid be connected to the light switch? :shocked: :whazzup: I pulled the light switch out again (truck is off now) and rrrrrrrr... truck turns right over. Turn on key, pull light switch vrooommm... truck starts right up. :whazzup:
I finally noticed a bare copper wire at a big harnes connector on an inside fenderwell and discovered the pulled back insulation. It finally had gotten bad enough and then Ihit that bump and shorted the headlight hot to the solenoid hot!
Guess it coulda been worse, could have been the ejector seat that shorted! :smile:

Moral of the story...replace the solenoid (fairly cheap....oops- it's Marine right? ... forget the cheap part :mad: ) But.... you better start going over every wire and connector in the boat and engine. I think you have a short! :shrug:
Sorry :depressed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts