IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own a 17' Wooldridge sport2000 with jet. Just curious as to how people like them and how much. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The one i saw was a poor performer at best. The boat was to weight sensative and with a forward helm. With two adults in the front seats the boat would hardly have much of the jet foot in the water. Walk to the back to get going! Ya right. Anyway, im sure this boat would perform better with a hydraulic jack plate.

suckerfish

·
Registered
14 Posts
:whazzup: Also looking at Wooldrige Sport but see very few of them relative to the other welded aluminum 17' to 19' boats. Would appreciate any comments or thoughts on the merits/downsides of this brand/model of boat. Plan to use it primarily on the lower Columbia, Willamette, and n. coastal bays with a prop, not a jet.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Mellow-Yellow has a 20'(I think) Wooldridge with a 115 Honda (prop) and sea-drive bracket, and hydraulic trim tabs. We went out 38 miles chasing tuna last Saturday. I was very impressed with the ride and handling of the boat. I felt very safe, I'd look into them if I was in the market for a new boat and compare prices. I particularly like the higher sides on the bow for plowing through waves. A very good boat IMHO.

[ 08-16-2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: DiamondBack ]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ya know.....for them being made in Seattle, I rarely see one...on the Cowlitz occasionally, once or twice on the Snohomish,Sky, Snoqualmie. Ya just dont see many Woolridges period. :shrug: Russ (as compared to other makes)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The boat was to weight sensative and with a forward helm.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Did you ride in a sport? Or is this second hand? You would think with a 400#+ 4 stroke jet and a 100# kicker would be a good balance. :shrug: The Willie Pred. is foward helm with a SJ and ive heard of no such problems. The OBs weight would be even further back. Anyone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dan,
I'm looking at Wooldridges new advertisement in F&H news.......It shows a 20ft Sportstour, a 21ft Sportstour....and there it is...17ft Sport 2000. So I guess they still make it...you should be able to see them all at www.wooldridgeboats.com. Russ

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have a buddy that has a 17' sport2000. I have fished out of it a few times. My observations are as follows;

It has a 90hp Honda with the jet, and an 8hp Honda kicker. This boat is underpowered with more than 3 people in it. It is underpowered if the 3 people are of the horizontally challenged variety.

Overall the boat performs very well, and has more fishing room in it than any other 17' I have seen, or been in. My friend only has the two seats up front, and uses a couple of nice folding chairs in the back to fish out of.

I have seen the situation suckerfish speaks of with a guy on the nose of the boat holding an anchor and one guy at the helm, but not with two people just sitting in the seats. It doesn't happen then, ever. The fact is, that much weight forward in a boat only 17' long will lift the transom some, thus the shoe on the bottom of the pump raises. The only reason you notice it on a Wooldridge is because the motor sits higher on the transom due to the 'tunnel'. That tunnel is very beneficial when on plane, running skinnier type waters. That's what it's designed for, not putzing around at 2 mph. Jet boats don't manuver well at low speeds, regardless of make or type.

Overall, I think the are a nice boat that perform and feel larger than the 17' they are. But, if I were going to buy one, it would have to have the new Honda 150hp 4 stroke on the back. I don't like being underpowered.

There is your first hand account. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions. I own a 20' Wooldridge Alaskan II, so if you are looking down that road, let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts