IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate Release Friday, Aug. 17, 2007

Halibut fishing off Columbia River reopens Aug. 24-26

NEWPORT, Ore. – The Pacific halibut fishery reopens Aug. 24-26 to provide sport halibut anglers with additional fishing opportunities.

The fishery will close again after those dates unless sufficient quota remains and halibut managers announce another opening.

The sport halibut season off the Columbia River area – from Cape Falcon, Ore., to Leadbetter Point, Wash. – closed Aug. 12 because the catch limit was expected to be reached by the end of fishing that day. On Aug. 16, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administraton Fisheries Service, the International Pacific Halibut Commission, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife met by conference call and determined there were sufficient pounds remaining in the quota to re-open the fishery.

“Sport anglers planning to fish out of Columbia River ports are reminded possession of groundfish species is not allowed when a Pacific halibut is aboard their vessel,” said Don Bodenmiller, Project Leader for Marine Recreational Finfish Fisheries. “The exception is sablefish (black cod) and Pacific cod, which may be retained with halibut.” Bodenmiller added that other non-groundfish species, such as tuna and salmon during authorized seasons, may be possessed with halibut on open Pacific halibut days.

More details on regulations can be found at: www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/finfish/halibut/fishing/seasonmaps/seasonmap_current.asp or in the 2007 Oregon Sport Ocean Regulations for Salmon, Halibut and Other Marine Species booklet. General regulations can be found in the 2007 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations booklet.

· Registered
6,277 Posts
Is there anyplace close in at CR for halubut? I have never fished for them around there.

Thanks

· Registered
21,998 Posts
You know there are no fish at the CR. Literally. The long liners stripped both holes out and fishing was pathetic.

· Registered
8,695 Posts
Fished the Astoria Canyon with Bernie last Sunday, or was it Tuesday, no Thursday he said, Heck just lucky the old guy found it.

Anyway, the bite was very slow and I suspect thats the reason for the quota not being filled.

Besides, there are no Halibut of the CR, we all know that.

· Registered
791 Posts
I fished it on the Friday and could not get past the Black Cod! Didn't take long for me to get fed up doing bait checks in 580' of water with 48oz of lead! Pulled the lines and headed west for TUNA!

Anthony
28' Albin MadMoney

· Registered
21,998 Posts
Anthony, this announcement has me hitting the snooze alarm and rolling over. I am contacting the ODFW and WDFW about the long liners in these two holes. Have not had an issue with them until now. They just ***** them clean.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
I agree . They were out there on the opener 2 weeks ago. And it sucked.
When We got there. There Line balls where in the water acroos the hole. all we got that day was cod and 1 arrow teeth. But the bright side we did get 28 tuna and a boat load of silvers.

HM

· Registered
791 Posts
I fish for Halibut up here in the Straits but we only need to fish 150'-200' so it's manageable w/o electric reels. I'm with Bernie.... hit the snooze button OR just keep heading west until the water turns blue or jumpers are spotted!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.