IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad and I picked up a 18-foot wood sled for a project over the winter. We are hoping to keep the boat in use while doing the restoration.

We've only owned it a day, but have made some dramatic changes.

Here is what we started with, photos are from last owners post on Craigslist:

We unbolted, unscrewed and cut zip ties to try and bring the boat back to how the original builder had it. It was pretty obvious where the original builder stopped and future owners did their remodels. I ended up with a gallon ziplock of non-stainless steel hardware (all post original build), and only a small margarine container of stainless steel hardware.

Here is where it was today when we wrapped up work:

The plan is to wrap PT plywood with vinyl for the flooring, taking the time to cut around each rib. Build a small level step deck up front to store the fuel tank and build two seat boxes and mount just before the front step deck. Rebuild some of the transom, rebuilding it properly and adding 1.5-inches to the motor cut out to place the motor at the proper height.

We also slid the boat 24-inches forward on the trailer and will be cutting that 24-inches out of the trailer behind the axle, to help balance the boat a little better.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Skip the pressure treated ply, and go with either fir marine, meranti marine, or MDO if you're going to use wood. PT has some chemicals that will worsen crevice corrosion on stainless fastenings, as well as cause any metal (like tackle) in the bilges to age/corrode/stain things.

MDO could be wrapped, but I prefer primer on the edges and kiwigrip on top. Lighter, more durable, good traction, and easy on the skin.

E

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Jealous.
I love wooden boats.
Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a lot of progress today, pulled the last owners transom 'fix' and ordered some new lumber.

Got some of the floor cut around the ribs & more planning on the front step deck.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have enough experience to detect what finish is on this boat so we can match it?

Thinking it's this?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A little progress. Decided to go ahead with the PT plywood for the floor, since they will be vinyl wrapped and it was considerably less expensive. Used mahogany for front floor structure and will be using Meranti marine plywood for everything else.

Filled in the motor cutout and expanded it for utilizing a electric motor, next step is to reinforce the transom...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started wrapping vinyl on the floor boards today and reinforced the transom.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Finished transom and got half the vinyl wrapped around the floor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looking good. I wonder if you have an epoxy impregnated wood there. (Fiberglass without the glass). I have used the technique on woodworking projects and before painting my old Clipper Crafts. I have yet to glass the mahogany--then do a coat of clear spar. It has worked quite well on my furniture, but I haven't tried it in the world of the wet.

I have used Smith's CPES in the past, and I tried a version from Jamestown Dist this summer, but it was a bit thick, and the jury is still out on its longevity.

Good luck, keep posting, and know that all boats rot away without a little lovin'--no matter what they are made of.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the info! We have found some fiberglass puddles here and there (in the seams) and was wondering where it was coming from; it would make sense that some of he stringers were covered in it.

Everything is a waiting game now: waiting for some epoxy to cure on the inside (repairing some water saturated wood, screws that were carelessly driven through the bottom of the boat and deep gouges a perspective buyer made when 'inspecting' the boat) and now waiting for the Coat-It to cure on the bottom. These cold temperatures are not helping! Most of the floor boards are wrapped in vinyl now. Seat boxes are made and getting their coats of varnish, trailer is rewelded and bunks carpeted, all components are gathered and ready to install.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool project, what are your plans for it after you are done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw a electric motor on it and fish some skinny steelhead water after chasing some waterfowl from Tillamook Bay to Boardman.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coat-It was still tacky, so couldn't roll it back over.

My Dad put new bunks and lights on and routed the wires.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Laid the floor and started securing everything. Last of the varnish was applied, battery cables were routed from the bow storage to the transom, along with the fuel hose from the fuel tank. Tomorrow the boat goes back on the trailer and the motor gets mounted.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Pretty much all done and ready for the maiden voyage tomorrow and see what needs to be fine tuned.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My Dad and I picked up a 18-foot wood sled for a project over the winter. We are hoping to keep the boat in use while doing the restoration.
/QUOTE]
Andy, you might want to slow down if you want it to last all winter. Looks good so far.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts