IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just got back from my vacation to the NW and I would like to thank those of you who gave me some real tips on where to fish. As expected, we had a great time. Me and my little bro had a blast on this road trip and we fished every day up there.
On the way to Vancouver, we stopped off at the rogue and what a river. Absolutely beautiful. Stopped in at a fly shop in Shady Cove, got license and info and up the the dam we went. Lots of fish and NO CROWD... I caught 5 and my bro 7. Couldn't land a one though because I had no practice and I wasn't used to fighting fish that actually took out line. That was on 06/27. The next day we went to the wind and my bro got one. Me none. We released him. From there we went to Bonny and cought a few shad. I very nice day and that wind river is also a very beautiful stream. I will be back there again. On 06/29, we went to Lacamas lake in Camas and did some panfish fishing. It was nice going back to the lake I knew since the age of ten. On Monday we went back to Bonny to get some oversizers. Lost two of the big boys and landed three 35 to 44 inches. A very good day. On 07/01, we went back up to Bonny and hooked into a monster that I faught for about a ten minute span before breaking off. Now that was fun. Nothing else the whole day. It was hard to find a spot to fish up there. It was crowded. :depressed: On 07/02, we left Vancouver and headed back to the Rogue. This time, we would not be undone. After stopping back in at the Fly shop, we proceded to the dam. This time I again hooked five but landed one very nice 15 pound hen. :dance: She made a good video even better... My little bro didn't touch a fish that day and it was much more crowded this go around.
That was our fishing Journey while up there... It was good to be home and even better to catch a fish with a pulse. I will be back come September or October... You folks are lucky up there.
Well, that was our vacation. From there we went to Anahiem for a wedding. We did go out on a charter from Balboa and that was also lots of fun. Tons of calico and sand bass. Great fun on our tackle... :smile:
Thats it for this story. I hope to be able to post pics of that salmon eventually.

Fish on...
Romeo

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Congrats on a great trip. I assume you were fishing the "holy waters" below the dam on the Rogue? That can be a lot of fun in there. If you get the chance, come up to fish in in late May or early June when the salmon fly hatch is going on. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
FishAZ, that must have been you in the parka, mittens and earmuffs fishing the Bonny eh?

Kiddin, my mom comes up from Peoria and dresses like its 20 below here!

Nice report, sounds like a great time had.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a blast fishing the "holy waters" although I thought their methods were rather fishy. People were using 8 to 10 foot leaders and a small bead above their hook. That was it. Me and my bro were the only onse using yarn and corky...

As for the temps, I thought it was a bit warm the first few days up there. 85 feels much warmer when you have humidity. Down here its really low to nonexistant. We wore shorts most days except Tuesday. I should have worn shorts...
It was fun and I hope to catch the salmon fly hatch some day. Heard lots about that...

Fish on.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
FishAZ...my bad I assumed you were fly fishing above the spillway at the Hatchery. Sounds like you were going for salmon in the "hatchery hole" :rolleyes: :wink: .

My folks live 10 minutes from there and I have seen the leader/bead set up you described. Some of the fish are getting flossed, but I have also seen guys pick them up back bouncing the same rig. Eggs work too.

If you stopped in at the Fishin' Hole in Shady Cove, you were in the right place. Jack Jermain(sp) runs the place and runs a first class guiding service/tackle shop :wink: .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the place... It was just weird seeing it.

As for the Fishin' Hole, it was a great place and I will definitely be back when I go there again. Wonderful place and the staff was top notch...

Fish on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts