IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some success last year running Brad's wobblers while anchor fishing on the Columbia. I hit the water four days in a row during the prime of the season. One of the things I noticed was that on one day a silver wobbler with a chartreuse head was the wobbler that was catching most of the fish. The next day it would be a different color combo. We caught fish one day and watched the boats around us do all the catching the next. There wasn't really any noticable difference in cloud cover, air temp, water temp (according to my fish finder any way). We anchored up near the same location each day and fished with same length leader and dropper. Anybody else notice the same pattern? This is only my second year fishing the big river and I realize I have lots to learn.

I stocked up on several differnt wobbler colors and also bought some plain gold and plain chrome plated wobblers and various colors of tape. I guess I'll have to adjust to what's hot until I figure the puzzle out for myself. Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Play with the colors till you find what works. We dont rig rods with same colors until we figure what they are hitting on. We have 3 favorite colors and use them. If the guys next to you are catching them on yellow and your not,, change. I have bought several plain ones have have used my own tape, and have never caught a fish on them. I like the original Alvin's at FMS. Great colors.. In the fall I also like the 10 spot lure. blue works best for me.

K9

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
This is only my fourth summer on the Columbia, so I don’t know jack (not referring here to "Thumper, Jack :wink: , who I do know - kinda - but to the other jack). With that disclaimer, what I’ve noticed is more of a ‘seasonal’ preference.

My first season began started late, in September. I think somone on Ifish said Alvins in half-brass-half silver with blue tape were good. So we tried ‘em and WHAMO - instant success. Man, I loved those Alvins
. It seemed like the other successful boats were fishing blue taped wobblers too.

Second season was the year of the ‘Green Dot’. Blue was out of style, although I stuck with my cherished brass/silver/blue tape Alvins and did ok. Others in my boat used the silver Alvin with green dot and did better.

Last year, my Alvin relationship went totally sourth and I could not buy a fish. :blush: Best run ever and I was like ready to sell the boat - cheap! I tried the colors and exact rigging other boats were catching with, and got nothing but a record breaking drought. :shocked: Sitting in a hog line, right,tight next to another boat and watching them limit out two rods while we went 0-for-3 made me grateful that Oregon allows assisted suicide; a couple more days like that and I would have been ready for the final dose. My boat mates were quite ready to help.

This year, complete reversal. :grin: After just a handful of short sessions, my new favorite is a chartreuse tip Brads that six chinook have given their approval to. The other colors now sit in the box.

When all is said and done though, I think the most important thing is where you anchor. There are distinct bottom structures that cause the chinook to travel and see your lure in certain ways. If you stick it right in their faces, you will get bit. And with the right color, more frequently.

PS. Scent helps too.

[ 08-13-2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Early this year I noticed a new lure called a "Simon" (I suppose the next knock-off will be a Theodore), and because it was locally made, I bought it. Haven't had a chance to try it though. Anyone have opinions about it?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have found at times that you need to re-tune the wobbler. It works great one day and the next nothing. Play with the way it swims and see if that works for you. It seems some days they like a real slow side to side action and then the next maybe a faster side to side action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts