IFish Fishing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
So I would say you are a true believer then and are changing your ways. So you are living in a cave, walk to work, source all your food and clothing locally and definitely do not not own a boat or vehicles? Two carbon tons per capita is what it will take to meet the goal of keeping the temperature increase below 2 degrees C, or did your experts not tell you that? Some of us have seen the weathermen hype the incoming rains into floods that don't happen and some of us believe we will have to have technology fixes to solve this issue because the mainstream Americans are not going to live in a cave. EV's will not solve this issue at all by themselves.
We do own an EV and a hybrid, but I digress..... (500 miles range with the hybrid SUV, don't even need to stop for gas going out to the Deschutes and back!). RA, didn't you show temp stats from the Nehalem from last June that showed temps well above 80 during the heat wave? Salmon and steelhead parr died in droves, yes? Are you willing to discount that as "an anomoly"? I'm not. It's a striking example of the new high end of the new range.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
We do own an EV and a hybrid, but I digress..... (500 miles range with the hybrid SUV, don't even need to stop for gas going out to the Deschutes and back!). RA, didn't you show temp stats from the Nehalem from last June that showed temps well above 80 during the heat wave? Salmon and steelhead parr died in droves, yes? Are you willing to discount that as "an anomoly"? I'm not. It's a striking example of the new high end of the new range.
That was during the heat wave. So far lack of proper buffers on hay fields is having a greater impact.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Map Ecoregion World Product Organism

Map Line Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I think the numbers are starting to get deceivingly high. The normal snowpack and water stored in May is considerably less than in April. For fisheries benefit, we also need some sun and offshore winds to start generating upwelling so the smolt have something to eat when they arrive at the ocean. Still, nice to see above-average snowpack for once. On the news last night, they said we haven't had April and May, both above average for rainfall at PDX, for 10 years.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
This weather pattern has been pretty amazing for both quantity of moisture and date. I noticed that on the Clack we're in full runoff now. I'll be very interested to see how all of this spring moisture effects base flow in September. Hopefully we're getting infiltration to the ground water supply. The John Day numbers are staggering but I'm guess those have been impacted to a large degree by the last 5 years.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you’ve noticed they quit calling it global warming and now call it climate change.

The real issue is that there are too many people on this planet as it is and we are growing exponentially.
Agreed population is the root of the issue.

However, the “they” who instigated the lingo switch from “global warming” to “climate change” in the public discourse was a fella named Frank Luntz, Republican strategist and advisor to GW Bush. The switch to “climate change” was done to create confusion on the issue.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I thought they were moving to Austin?

Everyone here seems to be an expert. I remember the days, before the internet, when we let the experts be experts. They beat small pox, the dust bowl, greatly reduced famine and powered the world. Now they're telling us we need to change our ways and half of us don't believe them. I believe our inaction is killing NW steelhead as we speak.
Ah, the days before the internet...things were a lot simpler and there were a lot less "experts". The problem most of us skeptics have are "experts" are bought and sold for a dime, statistics can say whatever you would like them to say, and agendas rule the day, not science.
This has been an amazing few weeks of precipitation that the PNW desperately needed, and like clockwork, we find something to argue and further divide ourselves over.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
John Day basin, hold my beer!
Map Yellow Terrestrial plant Font Rectangle

Map Ecoregion World Product Font

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
They fixed John Day snow water equivalent this morning (removed the obviously erroneous data).
@Rank Amateur thanks so much for the regular updates. Really cool to see how quickly things have improved from dire numbers early in March.

Reactions: slinger

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Here is a reason and an example of why the high percentages. We are getting to a point in time that for the historical median data, it would be zero or a fraction of 1, that can make for some crazy high percentages. It does appear many stations are not reporting, it appears they have melted out, hence the gaps in the maps. Here is an example of the late snow pack (dark line) versus historical mean. Give it a couple of more days and it will be dividing by zero, which will not work.
Slope Plot Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is a reason and an example of why the high percentages. We are getting to a point in time that for the historical median data, it would be zero or a fraction of 1, that can make for some crazy high percentages. It does appear many stations are not reporting, it appears they have melted out, hence the gaps in the maps. Here is an example of the late snow pack (dark line) versus historical mean. Give it a couple of more days and it will be dividing by zero, which will not work.
View attachment 980083
That graphic is really helpful to understand the magnitude of the problem.....namely the depth of our current drought and how this 2022 season relates and contributes to the drought. While many are cheering about how our percentages are climbing as we near the finish line for viable snowpack at our SNOTEL sites, the area under the curve for the 2022 season is grossly short on water. Timing is important for fuels moisture related to wildfire season and I am thankful for every drop that falls this late in the season, but the reason our southern Oregon reservoirs are still hovering around 20% of capacity is the area under the curve for the past several years. I would expect our natural groundwater storage to be in a similarly depleted state. We really need a few seasons with an area greater than what is seen under the green line to recover.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
As great as it is to see the Snow Water Equivalents here in Southern Oregon essentially at 100% today, here is a 'teacup diagram' of the lake levels that @kittiwake was referencing in the prior post. These teacups should be solid blue (like Agate Lake) but many lakes here in Southern Oregon are extremely low. We are very fortunate for the last 6 weeks of precipitation, but our cup still runneth under...
Ecoregion Map World Slope Font

Map World Rectangle Atlas Font

Map World Rectangle Atlas Font

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
As great as it is to see the Snow Water Equivalents here in Southern Oregon essentially at 100% today, here is a 'teacup diagram' of the lake levels that @kittiwake was referencing in the prior post. These teacups should be solid blue (like Agate Lake) but many lakes here in Southern Oregon are extremely low. We are very fortunate for the last 6 weeks of precipitation, but our cup still runneth under...
View attachment 980177

View attachment 980180
View attachment 980179
Lost creek was at 75% cap .last week ,not too bad .,maybe it will fill a little more ,more snow than last year ..is the savings account 👍🏻

81 - 100 of 110 Posts