IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
669 Posts
The trends are hotter and, in the west, drier. We hit 116 in Portland last year, beat the old record by 9 degrees. While it's been cool and rainy here this spring, India just suffered through an epic heatwave. Glaciers are melting throughout the west. The water table's falling inland and the oceans are rising. The Deschutes hasn't run at true summer levels, during summer, in years. Choosing your book may be choosing your opinion before you even get to page 2 (choosing to confirm your own bias). If 97% of scientists believe we're heating the world so much that the problem is existential, why choose to read a book from the 3% of denialists? The only good reason I can figure is you've already read 9 from the other side. This issue absolutely affects fish, seemingly none more than steelhead, which I am passionate about, and which were at record lows last year. That's why I'm bothering to write this here.
What if the Sun is causing all of the climatic changes we have observed? Shouldn't we at least consider that possibility? Are there indications that this may be true or at least have validity with respect to contributions to climate irregularities if not wholescale global change? I provided a source to look at, it's interesting to say the least. You have to admit it does not follow the adopted political narrative, and as always if you dare to question you are lambasted. In the middle ages the consensus was the earth was flat. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
What if the Sun is causing all of the climatic changes we have observed? Shouldn't we at least consider that possibility? Are there indications that this may be true or at least have validity with respect to contributions to climate irregularities if not wholescale global change? I provided a source to look at, it's interesting to say the least. You have to admit it does not follow the adopted political narrative, and as always if you dare to question you are lambasted. In the middle ages the consensus was the earth was flat. Time will tell.
There are still people who think the earth is flat, despite the proof. They just don't want to believe the proof. I agree the sun's cycles and the earth's orbit affect the weather, sometimes dramatically (ask the Mayans), but I don't think it's news to the climatologists involved. I think we're to the point where climate change is causing the potential collapse of some fisheries. Ocean problems are the common link to the recent steelhead decline in the NW. I think we need to do what we can to act. If we wait to see if natural cycles fix the issue on their own, I worry we lose steelhead.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
What geological reason is Malheur county so low compared to everyone else?
Maybe more about # of sensors and elevations, this area is a little more limited in regards too monitoring. Snow levels appear to be more at higher elevations and for those basins they are doing far better. Also what is misleading on some of these numbers is you are comparing to previous years (the mean) and for a year like this current one, we are having a wetter and later cool weather period. That is why I also like to look at the % of normal precipitation maps.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
The trends are hotter and, in the west, drier. We hit 116 in Portland last year, beat the old record by 9 degrees. While it's been cool and rainy here this spring, India just suffered through an epic heatwave. Glaciers are melting throughout the west. The water table's falling inland and the oceans are rising. The Deschutes hasn't run at true summer levels, during summer, in years. Choosing your book may be choosing your opinion before you even get to page 2 (choosing to confirm your own bias). If 97% of scientists believe we're heating the world so much that the problem is existential, why choose to read a book from the 3% of denialists? The only good reason I can figure is you've already read 9 from the other side. This issue absolutely affects fish, seemingly none more than steelhead, which I am passionate about, and which were at record lows last year. That's why I'm bothering to write this here.
Warmer but not necessarily drier, warm air carries more moisture and if one were to believe in rising sea levels, more moisture transport will occur. What the models suggest is far more moisture in the shoulder months of the year, fall and spring. Please do not use an anomaly as an example of climate change, they really are not tied together, the heat dome last year was exactly that. Water tables falling inland surely wouldn't have anything to do with over allocation of the resource? Water Watch has a great article on that exact problem.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Malheur basin is short on precipitation, that might change in the next week.
Map Line Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Warmer but not necessarily drier, warm air carries more moisture and if one were to believe in rising sea levels, more moisture transport will occur. What the models suggest is far more moisture in the shoulder months of the year, fall and spring. Please do not use an anomaly as an example of climate change, they really are not tied together, the heat dome last year was exactly that. Water tables falling inland surely wouldn't have anything to do with over allocation of the resource? Water Watch has a great article on that exact problem.
Ignore last year's heat dome that crushed 100+ years of records? No, I won't. I've seen a chart that plotted decades of Portland temps. Last year's heatwave was off the chart, literally - I won't ignore it. Epic flooding in Europe, Epic heat wave in India, rising sea levels covering Indonesian villages, I won't ignore them either. And sure, there's over-allocation of water all over the west. But that doesn't account for the epic drought we're in. Have you seen Lake Mead recently?

·
Registered
17,052 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you’ve noticed they quit calling it global warming and now call it climate change. Very powerful people are buying ocean front property.

The real issue is that there are too many people on this planet as it is and we are growing exponentially. You can drive around in your electric car patting yourself on the back but that isn’t going to fix the issues that come with overpopulation.

But don’t worry, they’ve got a plan and your not in it! 😆

·
Registered
214 Posts
The "source" that you provided was written by an English professor with a law degree. You called him a scientist. He has written a number of works of fiction. He doesn't seem to be a good authority on the science of the Earth's climate, to me.....but probably trying really hard to sell lots of his books. Were you aware that this guy was an English professor when you were reading his book?

John Casey is the author of six works of fiction, including Spartina, winner of the National Book Award, and, most recently, Compass Rose, as well as nonfiction and translations. Educated at Harvard College, Harvard Law School, and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, he lives in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he is a professor of English at the University of Virginia.
Climate change has a number of political narratives. Very few of them accurately follow the narrative that has been developed by climate scientists.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Ignore last year's heat dome that crushed 100+ years of records? No, I won't. I've seen a chart that plotted decades of Portland temps. Last year's heatwave was off the chart, literally - I won't ignore it. Epic flooding in Europe, Epic heat wave in India, rising sea levels covering Indonesian villages, I won't ignore them either. And sure, there's over-allocation of water all over the west. But that doesn't account for the epic drought we're in. Have you seen Lake Mead recently?
I made a post about Lake Mead, I mentioned that they use so much water from that river that it doesn't even flow into the ocean anymore.
The high temps last year were not fun, but the previous two records were from the 60s and the 80s, not like we are seeing a new record every year. I think we had snow in April this year, I can not remember that hapening before?

If the sea level is rising in Indonesia, wouldn't it be rising here also?? It seems like the head of tide water on the coastal rivers that I fish is in the same place it was 30 years ago.

I'm sure the climate has always been changing and always will. I think there could be some positives coming out of a warming climate. We have ruined most of the best salmon streams in the world with dams like GC and Hells Canyon being the worst, but all the others that warm the water and flood or block salmon habitat. All the other habitat destruction also. I read something a few years ago about salmon naturaly colonizing the McKenzie river (Northwest Territories, not Oregon) Not to many dams on that river system and I believe it is the second largest in North America, second to the Mississippi.
Quick search found this. Salmon caught in Mackenzie River raises climate change questions in the NWT

·
Banned
669 Posts

Global monthly sea surface temperature (SST) in the Niño 3.4 region (5oN-5oS, 17oW-120oW) of the central Pacific Ocean since 1979 according to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center. The geographical sampling area is shown in map above as 'Niño 3.4'. The thick line is the simple running 37 month average, nearly corresponding to a running 3 yr average. The data series goes back to January 1950. Here it is shown since 1979, to enable easy comparison with air the global temperature estimates shown above. Last month shown: March 2022. Last diagram update: 7 April 2022.

·
Registered
10,713 Posts
What if the Sun is causing all of the climatic changes we have observed? Shouldn't we at least consider that possibility?
1) carbon dioxide's (and methane's) effect on heat capture is scientifically predictable and confirmed through experiment.
2) rigorous mathematical models have been around for decades that predict increase in temperatures based on increases in CO2 and methane.
3) the levels of CO2 and methane are measured to be increasing, and the increases track well with predictions of the increase based on industrial and consumer activity.
4) Temperatures are going up in line with the models.
5) The sun's intensity has not noticeably increased

But sure, it could be the sun. It could be unicorns farting in unison. However, any intelligent person knows it's greenhouse gases.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1) carbon dioxide's (and methane's) effect on heat capture is scientifically predictable and confirmed through experiment.
2) rigorous mathematical models have been around for decades that predict increase in temperatures based on increases in CO2 and methane.
3) the levels of CO2 and methane are measured to be increasing, and the increases track well with predictions of the increase based on industrial and consumer activity.

But sure, it could be the sun. It could be unicorns farting in unison. However, any intelligent person knows it's greenhouse gases.
My daughter would like you to know that unicorns fart glitter dust and poop Skittles. They have nothing to do with it. 😁 Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Banned
669 Posts

Water vapor is the single most important greenhouse, not CO2. What most fail to grasp is the planet has been here a long, long time with many warm and cold periods (see graphs below). There are surprising high levels of CO2 levels in ice cores way before human activity (industrial age), albeit not as high as today. The suns activity level has a direct effect on the earth. What contribution does CO2 have, some likely, but the actual degree is speculation. Models are only tools.

The upper panel shows the air temperature at the summit of the Greenland Ice Sheet, reconstructed by Alley (2000) from GISP2 ice core data. The approximate timing of the Cimbrian Flood is in the latter part of the cold period before the Roman Warm Period. The time scale shows years before modern time, which is shown at the right hand side of the diagram. The rapid temperature rise to the left indicate the final part of the even more pronounced temperature increase following the last ice age. The temperature scale at the right hand side of the upper panel suggests a very approximate comparison with the global average temperature (see comment below). The GISP2 record ends around 1855, and the red dotted line indicate the approximate temperature increase since then. The lower panel shows the past atmospheric CO2 content, as found from the EPICA Dome C Ice Core in the Antarctic (Monnin et al. 2004). The Dome C atmospheric CO2 record ends in the year 1777.

Whenever the planet cools, the cooling is especially pronounced near the poles and smaller near the Equator. The planetary cooling therefore produces an enhanced thermal contrast between equatorial regions and the poles. In the northern hemisphere, this thermal contrast tends to develop especially in latitudes between about 50 and 65oN, in the so-called zone of westerlies. Global cooling and the strengthened north-south thermal gradient is the basis for development of stronger cyclonic storms over oceans in the zone of westerlies, leading to increasing flood frequency and damage for adjoining coasts and land areas, especially around the North Sea.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
If you’ve noticed they quit calling it global warming and now call it climate change. Very powerful people are buying ocean front property.
I thought they were moving to Austin?

Everyone here seems to be an expert. I remember the days, before the internet, when we let the experts be experts. They beat small pox, the dust bowl, greatly reduced famine and powered the world. Now they're telling us we need to change our ways and half of us don't believe them. I believe our inaction is killing NW steelhead as we speak.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
I thought they were moving to Austin?

Everyone here seems to be an expert. I remember the days, before the internet, when we let the experts be experts. They beat small pox, the dust bowl, greatly reduced famine and powered the world. Now they're telling us we need to change our ways and half of us don't believe them. I believe our inaction is killing NW steelhead as we speak.
So I would say you are a true believer then and are changing your ways. So you are living in a cave, walk to work, source all your food and clothing locally and definitely do not not own a boat or vehicles? Two carbon tons per capita is what it will take to meet the goal of keeping the temperature increase below 2 degrees C, or did your experts not tell you that? Some of us have seen the weathermen hype the incoming rains into floods that don't happen and some of us believe we will have to have technology fixes to solve this issue because the mainstream Americans are not going to live in a cave. EV's will not solve this issue at all by themselves.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Need to shift some of this south!
Ecoregion Map Product World Font
Map Ecoregion Organism Line Terrestrial plant

61 - 80 of 110 Posts