IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Pretty good weather system coming in as this will effect my travels to Alaska big time on the water. Not sure how much snow it bring though.

I thought for sure there would be more snow pack. What about Idaho and Montana??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Not good. I heard a meteorologist say last fall that if there are 2 La Nina years consecutively, we usually get a lot of the rain the second year in the fall. That's exactly what happened. Peak snowpack should be right now.........

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
905 Posts
The winter season started out great. Skiing at Mt Hood was amazing in December to the first week into January with great snow fall numbers. And then it kind of petered out...
We had a dry spell for almost a month that shrunk the snow pack significantly. Then the roller coaster freezing levels...

Hopefully we get a little more snow at the lower levels...but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Willamette Pass is a mess this morning. Every little bit counts. Looks like 6-8" of new snow.
Even if it doesn't add much of anything significant to the current snowpack, at least it's helpful to put the brakes on melting more off for a few days. Plus this is the time of year when the Corps switches from keeping the reservoirs low to handle winter flooding to trying to fill them back up for summer (while still maintaining enough targeted outflow to help flush smolts down), so it's helpful to add to that before it's too late and the levels don't get all the way back to full pool.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Looks like an ugly summer irrigation, fish, and fire season in southern Oregon this year...........

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Not to mention most FF funding is largely reactive, so the money mostly only gets spent in response once a significant fire has already started (for primarily federal lands like USFS/BLM they're supported by regional interagency response teams coordinated out of Boise or Reno) and/or if it's more on state/private lands then to reimburse state/local costs afterwards, so it doesn't really matter how good/bad the situation looks now anyway. It could look ominous early but as the season unfolds you get lucky and not have any really bad fires and therefore get little money; or, have conditions appear more favorable in advance but then have something unpredictably bad pop up later on which warrants a lot of resources/$$.

Sure, it'd be nice in theory to get more allocated up front for preparation/mitigation, but that assumes more funding to go around so in reality it's money you don't want to get because that means you ended up really needing it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts