IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is opening day of deer season in Wisconsin, I’m hunting at my brothers farm on 80 arces.
There is 2 food plots and 5 tree stands.
I was sitting in a tree stand 45min before light trying to stay warm. After light the squirrels were running everywhere, 45min after daylight I stood up to stretch while I was looking behind the tree stand I seen motion and there was a doe with a nice buck chasing her at 40yards. There was a few trees between us so I waited for 2min until I got a clear shot at around 30yards! First shot was behind the front shoulder and the buck started to run, second shot was in the neck and the buck dropped. A 100yard drag downhill into the turnip field then into the farm truck. I had a great hunt the buck is hanging in the barn, I’m going to boil the head so I can bring it back to Oregon. My first whitetail Thanks for reading !!!
Elk Light Wood Deer Plant

Head Eye Natural material Deer Wood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood

Terrestrial animal Road surface Asphalt Soil Wildlife

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,298 Posts
Looks like you harvested yourself some good eats! Whitetails are my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Fantastic!

What cartridge and bullet? I love those details.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
(Secret spot) Wisconsin, I was shooting a Kimber 6.5 creedmoor, Hornady 143gr ELD-X. My brother was shooting a 280cal Ruger M77 Mark 2, Hand loaded 180gr accubond. My brother who owns the farm still has his buck tag he is shooting a xbolt 325wsm, we all still have 2doe tags each. We did a drive today and jumped 1 buck and 3does.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice buck! Heres my viewpoint on the hunt. Currently in Wisconsin, hunted same property for 55 years., (Dog: just north of Brandon, been waterfowl hunting here just as long and for last 2 months straight) This year had been really tough, as winds have been terrible. Opening weekend numbers are down 14%. The 9 day season has become an opening weekend fiasco. Used to be "no deer hunting for week prior to gun".. now, it's bow from mid September to after 1st of year! Add the element of crossbow for everyone, all season... along with several "special hunts".
I can recall fewer than 100k deer tags sold, number is now over 600k. Opening weekend is the largest single day sporting event, more people toting than several countries have armed forces.
Yeah, you get the picture. The traditional gun season has become a joke. Look at the archery kill numbers. WAY UP! It's a stream of trucks with SUV' S on Friday nights during the season.
The State is interested in 1 thing: $$$. They pride themselves in the "opportunity days" thing. I have been to many, many meetings, and shows, these guys are scrambling for revenue.
Before anyone gets excited and wants to do this, do your homework.
The herd has.moved south in the state in last 20 years. Predators, (dont get me started on that mess). Yes, lots if wide open spaces in north, very few deer, (hunted nw Lincoln county for just as long) but it's 99%.private in south half.
This "Brown and it's down" attitude has dramatically effected the quality of the hunt. We went QDM years ago, wow!
Yes, it's a great place, but don't get the idea that there is a deer behind every tree!, as the State wants everyone to think.
They sure are tasty though!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, is all can say :oops:. Yes I was hunting private property, sounds like I gave out (sailor’s) tree stand coordinates. Sorry buddy I’ll remove the location we hunted!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts