IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black box on my wiring for the drift boat trailer went bad on my Toyota T100. Toyotas have a five wire system and the trailer is a four wire system. Can I wire direct or do I need to replace the conversion box? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you have yellow turn signals then you need the box. They can be had for under $20.

If you can't find one let me know, I have an extra that I bought and will sell you.

Giz...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will check that out. the Toyota dealership in The Dalles only had a $170 solution. That wasn't going to work. Schucks has a five to four connection box. That probably is the beast. Is Toyota the only vehicle with the yellow turn signas? Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Uhaul has the 5 to 4 wire conversion boxes, usually $20 for the whole setup, wires, and plugs, but some stores have just the little box for $10. I just replaced mine, too.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
got to use the box...I had a Toy and went through many of those little boxes. It made me mad so I redesigned one myself, if done correctly they would be expensive. The manufacturers use diodes to mux their signalling, sounds simple but I actually use to use the 5- 4 wire design problem for a "new college graduate" hiring test. I designed a circuit that wouldn't burn out, but it cost way more than 20$ as it included a state machine and some power drivers.

gus

·
Registered
540 Posts
Klick If your willing to wire in seperate turn signals on the trailer you won't need the black box. I've had several go bad on me and wireing in turn signals solved my problem. :cheers:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Actually that is a good idea, skip the box, you just be replacing it again...and again. go with and extra blinkers and in the long run you won't pull your hair out when the BB goes bad and you chase wires around for a while until you realize it the box again.

Only problem with this is you will reduce you ability to pull somebody elses trailer. ??

gus

[ 04-21-2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Gus Orviston ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts