IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have an outboard motor and I store it in my garage is it still important to winterize and if so how do i go about it. my wife and I are expecting our first baby and won't be able to fish for awhile. thanks for any info.

cartman

[ 10-30-2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: CARTMAN ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Here is a great winterization plan for your boat... use it at least 2-3 days a week all year and you dont need to worry about it :grin:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I believe 5-Cents has it right...some of our state's best fishing occurs during our winter months!! Nothin' like onboard heat, or if needed, propane heat. If all else fails, get a warm jacket and some nice neoprene gloves...you're good to go!!

:grin:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cartman- an outboard drains all the water out when it is in the down position. All you need to worry about is the fuel. Fill the tank (to reduce air space/moisture condensation and add a good fuel stabilizer to prevent it from going stale. Alternatively.. use up al lthe fuel and go to fresh fuel and put new fuel in next spring.
If it's got carbs you can also spray some engine "layup" treatment in the carb to coat/lube the cylinder walls and rings. :cheers:

5-cents- that works on an outboard, not on an inboard when it gets below freezing. :depressed:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got an I/O Crestliner and it came with 5 plugs that I drain after every use in the winter.
It's worked for me the past two winters here in Idaho, so one might check into that option.

"Life's too short only to fish in warm weather" :grin:

G

·
Originally posted by 5-Cents:
Here is a great winterization plan for your boat... use it at least 2-3 days a week all year and you dont need to worry about it :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">We agree :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Propane heater-Check.
Stocking cap- Check.
Sorels- Check.
Gloves-Check.
Dog- Check.

I am winterized.

Lets fish.

Mark and the warm and fuzzy dog.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, well it was supposed to be a "public service announcement," but you outboarders/sturgeon fishers don't seem to be taking this seriously. Maybe I'll just take my toys and go play with the salty dogs. :grin:

Oh and for those of you trying to pound your chest about being some great winter fisherman; the real die-hard outdoorsmen are putting up the boats and grabbing the waders. :tongue: Nothing like STANDING in the ice-water looking down a rod with frozen guides or a waterfowl gun during a snowflurry.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Rick :shocked: :wink:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Miss b and king fisher thanks for the info. to 5 cents-- i wish. if you look at my earlier post you will know why. Knowing you have been there before I'm sure you know what i mean.

Cartman :cheers:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
We should make a printable list, and make a permanent tips page on ifish on winterizing boats. Would that be helpful?

Jen

·
Registered
501 Posts
I put either an electric blanket or a low wattage light bulb under the engine cowling when we get freezing weather. So far it has worked fine.

love2fish

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I also take the dust caps off the berrings on the trailer and make sure there isnt any standing water. id. painter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts