IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of those feelings that today, was a "fishy" day, so after my early morning meeting, I ducked out and was on the Wilson by 8:30am. The river had risen up from the day before, but still had a decent color. Boy, did the river look like winter steelheading water..compare to the day before. It had a nice color, good flow, and some debris when I first saw it along the drive. And it was COLD this morning :cool:..burrh thought I was winter steelhead fishing.

So, I went to one of my favorite spots...casted my bobber and jig(Pink and White Marabou)...on the 3rd cast......I started reeling in the slack and felt something heavy....set the hook....Fish on!! Had it on for about 2-3 minutes and the fish spit the hook....nooo! I was fishing about 5 feet deep in a nice tail out and the water was a light green.

I immediately switch over to my pink worm with just a little weight...it's starts to drift slowly down...I could barely make it out as it sunk a few feet below the surface...I see 2 bright Steelhead come out of the riffle...and it was game on from there. It INHALED my worm....took the worm turned and the hook was set solid. The fish shot out of the water 3-4 times..it as AWESOME to see! After a brief battle in the rain and cold hands...I was able to net the fish. A nice bright hen, approximately 6lbs, 28", with nice eggs. Pink worm with a 3 split shot slinky. It sank really slow and I did jig it a few times to give it action. I casted upstream into the fast water, it slowly drifted to the end of the shute into some slower water that was a light green color.

It started too pour harder and harder..so I decided to get in the car and head out to Tillamook to fish the Hospital Hole for a nice Chinook. As I was going down the highway, I passed by one of my other favorite holes...couldn't pass up on the opportunity to fish it. Got out, casted my bobber and jig(white and pink marabou) through the nice slot where I new there had to be fish holding. My bobber starts doing the dance dance....I waited waited...the bobber goes down...I set the hook...fish on. About 1 minute into the fight, the fish starts twisting and turning as it breached the surface. It was another Dandy from I could tell. Then after he stops twisting..the line SNAPPED...nooo! I am estimating it was 30" easily in the 7-8lb range. I think the line wrapped around it's mouth a few times or something. Lost the jig, but got my bobber back. I was fishing at 4 feet, in some pocket water to the side of fast water. I knew the fish would hold up in there to get a break from the strong current. The water was a light greenish brown at this spot.

So, after trying for another few cast with the worm and getting nothing. I decided 1-3 was pretty darn good start for the day. I headed to the Hospital Hole for the day. Was there from 10:30am-2pm. Fished the slack tide and part of incoming. Saw tons of fish rolling on the Slough side. Saw 2 guys walk to their rigs with some dandy Chinooks from the Hospital Hole side. About 6 people fishing the slough side with me. Nada..threw eggs, Salmon Jig, and sand shrimp. Plunked for a bit too. The wind and rain started to kick up again around 2pm, so that's when I jumped back into the car and headed home...so I thought.

On the way home, I decided I was going to give it another shot to limit out. I went back to the same hole I hooked my first fish. The river hadn't done much, but there was much more leaves churning. So, I walked down to a different hole. Saw some nice pocket water...casted my worm a few times and nothing. I finally broke down and switched to a size 3 pink body Blue Fox Spinner. Casted across the slot..reeled in slowly..and stopped a few times to let it drop. My line went pretty slack from the current bending it...so I reeled up the slack...felt something heavy....it was another fish..I made a mistake and didn't set the hook. The fish ran and ran....I was able to turn it upriver and as I put tension on the rod..the hook came flying out and whizzed by my head. rats....1 for 4 at this point. I've had slack bites before and have set the hook well. I don't know if it was the cold rain that numbed by brain...I wasn't going to give up. Was fishing some really fast water, it was pretty much white water..I think the spinner dropped 3-4 feet down when it was struck. Tough to tell, the water was raging. I did have 3/8 ounce of lead on it.

I spent 5 minutes cleaning up my line(looked more like a bowl of noodles). Re-riged with the same spinner. This time I casted into the white water..had a solid bump..but missed. I re casted into the same spot...let the current do the work..my spinner drops slow....WHACK...Tug tug tug....the fish immediately turns and heads down river. This time, the hook was burried as I cranked the rod a few times. Fought it for about 4 minutes and was able to tail it into a nice soft slot. It was a feisty little guy, I think it prolly shot out of the water 4 times...I thought for sure when it came out the 2nd time, the hook was going to pop. It had a great running start, but I remembered to bow my rod tip to it. I think it saved the day and my rod. Nice little 3lb, 25" buck. I let the current take my spinner out and down. Counted about 10 one thousand and started to slowly reel....stop...reel..then let slowly lifted my rod when the spinner was hammered.

I finally called it a day after getting soaked and going 2-5 on what possibly could be my last summer trip....yeah right!

The water color was prolly a light green, going to a light brownish green as I was leaving. The flow is pretty good and perfect set up for bobber and jig fishing. Drift fishing was tough, as the bottom was churning up a lot of debris and it felt like I was getting hits every second. It was just leaves getting caught on the pink worm. It sure was cold and reminded me of winter steelhead fishing, but for summers. Like I said previously, this is your last chance to get them summer Steelhead before the river rises too high and they all jetison past the Deadline. Good luck and I summerized at the end of each fish I caught or lost to help some of you who have been pm'ing me on what I use or what type of water I fish for Summer's.

Deja

·
Registered
718 Posts
:bowdown: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock:

Awesome pics!!! Awesome Fish!! Awesome story!! its days like those that keep us die hard fisherman!!! cause you never know what the next cast will bring!!!

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
:cheers::cheers:Great job on the steelhead.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Sweeet job Vu......As always:smash:.......have not seen you post in a while...I love your posts, they get me motivated....I just bought a DB and am going to try it on Monday for some nooky....And who knows might stop on the way home for some steelies.....I know that whole in the second pic, I have done well there also...:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Haha I like the phone call better much more dramatic. Anyways good job and I'll have to get out there and get me some fresh steelies.

Rookie

·
Registered
428 Posts
Great story and nice stealhead... :applause::applause:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ah man ,your making it hard for me to deer hunt this weekend, that looks like a kick, nice job and thanks for the extra description in your story to help us not so steelhead talented people, Sweeet:smash:

MD

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for sharing nice job!!:Christmas:

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
did you get out today Mike?
Yes I went to Cedar creek and got one nice hen that was great on the BBQ and the eggs are setting up now, I released one native and one dark buck.

Sounds like we both got out and had a great time.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow Vu!!!!!
Sure makes me feel bad about not calling in sick. Work is so over rated. Great job, and nice description. The pictures are terrific, and I always pick the wrong time to be mature.
Cindy

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Great pics, I definitely see Fall there. I can almost hear an Elk breaking a stick, and the roar of the river.
Nice shape on that larger fish.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Great job on getting out there and getting some fish! I'm jealous. Thanks for the informative posts, they do help out us beginners. You really personify what iFish is truly about!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts