IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely surprised that know one is talking. Are everyone letting them swim this year?
I've had time to work on some leaders this week and will be hitting some water soon.(possibly this eve on some creek).
Had a hip replacement and 1 inch femur extension done a year ago and nice to get balance back.
Getting time for some slip sliding adventures.
Be safe everyone.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I used to get excited every Thanksgiving weekend because that’s when I would generally catch my first winter of the run. Now, you have to get super lucky to get one this early (where I fish anyways). I don’t even get excited until about mid January anymore, though I will start fishing for them soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also like to begin the weekend after Thanksgiving, though I never seem to catch any till Dec. I am really looking forward to this year exploring new areas with my boat. Good luck to all & tite lines

·
Ray S.
929 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all. I noticed yesterday's bonnie count there were 5 times as many steelhead than chinooks or cohos. It's go time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did the open the rivers to steelhead fishing above Bonneville damn? I thought they closed everything above Bonneville due to low steelehead counts. I was looking foreward to fishing the John Day and the Hood River this year often.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Those Bonneville fish are likely almost all summer steelhead fwiw. Regarding catching winter steelhead now, the hatchery broodstock programs have been a game changer in that they've pushed the winter steelhead run back a few months. There are still a few rivers that get early returning fish, but in many rivers, the show doesn't get started now til January.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Hey Dog,,, the rivers have been out of shape except for a few days. I would bet they are there but we ask for rain and we are getting it. Food Bank over, have crew Wed, clean up my garage.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Regarding catching winter steelhead now, the hatchery broodstock programs have been a game changer in that they've pushed the winter steelhead run back a few months. There are still a few rivers that get early returning fish, but in many rivers, the show doesn't get started now til January.
Game changer in a negative way. The broodstock programs have killed the early winter fishery on many rivers. Plus increased impact to wild fish.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
How is brood stock programs negatively impacting wild fish?
Broodstock fish come back later, when the natives come back. More likely to interbreed with wild fish and dilute genetics. Also, fisher-people who want to retain fish will fish later into the year pursuing the broodstock, increasing hooking mortality on natives.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Using wild parents that have genetics unique to a stream is a good thing. So a "hatchery fish" that came from "wild" brood stock, why would it be an issue if it interbred?
The brood stock programs result in bigger healthier hatchery fish, seems like a slam dunk to me. "hooking mortality" ; sounds like you should quit fishing all together or figure out how to play them quickly and release.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts