IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecast for the Columbia is wind of 10-20 mph. What kind of Wind waves will this produce on the Columbia? Hopefully it won't be to rough out there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
One Columbia, wind direction matters just as much as strength. Any time you have the wind blowing hard or sustained for any length of time down a long run of open water, you'll get some waves.

I've seen swells as big as 6' out on the Columbia west of Portland, and I've seen wind chop up to 2' in North Portland Harbor.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Depends on where you are.

If you are talking Astoria, the winds don't USUALLY pick up till about Noon and blow till about 5 pm. Depending on your boat, you won't want to be out there very far. I've seen 5' standing waves under the Megler bridge.

On the other hand, a forcast of 10-20 is the standard issue at Astoria. You have to be there to know if it is going to blow for sure (it usually does).

Get there early to enjoy the calm before the wind.

·
Registered
147 Posts
respawn
saw your other post about drano this week end the forecast for this area is 15-30 sat and 15-25 on sun your ok in side but it well be ROCK-N-ROLL on the main stream lots of fish see you on the water
:dance:

wow

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Depends if the wind is with, or against the current. 20 mph against the current can kick up a pretty healthy chop (2, maybe even 3 feet). If it's with the current, shouldn't be too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts