IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is official. It is now 4 fish per day at the Wind River. :depressed: Shut the lower columbia down but it's okay to snag 4 fish a day on the wind. :mad: Upset? yes!

But I guess the good news is that you can get 4 fish a day if you can find them. :smile: Just tired of the mismanagement folks. Rant....rant....rant. Oh well. :rolleyes:

3,877 Posts
Catch & Eat, I agree. What I find very strange is why did we have a catch and release on the Columbia between 1-5 & Bonnieville for a short period of time this year till they (Fish Prognosticators)decided to close it and then allow us to go to the Wind and keep all fish.

Who is to say all those fish that are being retained in the Wind & Drano are not endangered species :shrug: .

I am so sick of the special rules for this and that. :mad: Who is to say all those upriver brites heading up the Columbia during the summer are not destined for Idaho as well. :hoboy:

Isay fooey,
let us fish. :dance:

·
Registered
16,615 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by chromebright:
The rest(15,000 to 40,000 in the last few years) either go to waste or are given to the Indians by the truck load.

Sounds like a good way to get the indian nets out of the Columbia. Just let them have all the excess they want from the hatchery.

JK

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lets not single out the native netters here. The net thing is a river wide problem.

Have no problem with a 4 fish limit either. Just miffed that we could not fish for them below Bonniville. That is my frustration voiced in this thread.

As far as the knuckle draggers are concerned, if you make a mess clean up your mess. If you filet in the canyon, throw the carcus back into the water. Don't leave it on the rocks please.

Truthfully, I did not even buy a Washington license yet because of the crap I saw on the Wind last year and the boneheads that I met with one ounce sinkers. :mad: Bring on the ocean. I am ready boys. At least there you can fish with the crowds or fish all by yourself.. :cool:

3,877 Posts
Here here :cheers: for the Ocean opening on June 29th. It will be a great year.

As for those who decided to close I-5 to Bonnieville, shame on those people.

What the hey, we were releasing all non-finclipped fish to begin with down below and it was pretty darn good at Reed Island when they closed it. I definately saw plenty of catch & keep along with catch and release going on down there in late March & early April.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah i would have to agree with bright and weton. The problem with fishing the columbia is that you are not nescessarily catching fish that were going to the wind. If you could guarntee that all the fish you hooked were going to rivers with a hatchery surplus like the wind, or klickitat, or deschutes then they would be more than happy to oblige. The problem is you are catching fish that may be going up the yakima, the okanagon, or up the snake or other endangered upriver stock. And with some of those runs only a couple of years away from possibly getting going for good again, they just can't afford to risk it. But once the fish are IN the wind they are 99% sure they are wind river fish. THAT is why they did what was right and closed down below bonneville. It sucks i admit it we had great days down there last year but i figure we lose one place this year to ensure that we have years to fish in the future. Definately something that is well worth it.
Just my 2-cents

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Sorry guys but you are missing the real point here. Almost all fish caught now at the wind are up in the river. They are still catching some out in the boats, but most of those are inside the cove on bait and are fish that are heading up the river. The hatchery at Carson only needs 1250 fish. The rest(15,000 to 40,000 in the last few years) either go to waste or are given to the Indians by the truck load. The 4 fish limit was put in place to provide you and I the opportunity to harvest the "OVER ABUNDANCE" of hatchery fish that the wind gets back. As for the snag fest that is only if you do not know where and how to catch them legally. Got 4 today on bobber and eggs and it was nice to see that a bunch of people have learned that you do not have to SNAG em, they love eggs. I am not a huge fan of the 4 fish limits because of what it does to the fishing when there are a ton of people who can't catch fish clogging up the river all day, but it has no impact on any other fish than the carson fish.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by chromebright:
Sorry guys but you are missing the real point here. Almost all fish caught now at the wind are up in the river. They are still catching some out in the boats, but most of those are inside the cove on bait and are fish that are heading up the river.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">CB, don't think I am missing the point at all here. I stated earlier this year (dec. or January) that this would happen after Mr. King said we could fish all year on the Columbia. I said it was horse pucky and I was right. I also said there would be increased limits in at least the Hanford Reach (wrong about that :blush: ) but at least right about increased limits somewhere.

My point is when someone in the fisheries department says something I now say "PROVE IT". Not saying they are bad people or that that are perfect. Just would be nice if they were right. :shrug:

[ 05-23-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

3,877 Posts
Brite,

My point above was to not disagree but if we are to have a successful program on the Columbia River, it is just my opinion that all hatcheries need to clip the fins.

And no, I don't believe that all or any of those fish that stage in the Columbia near the Wind are headed to the Snake but why can't the states make this spring fishery play out on a level playing field.

BY the way, does the Deschutes and the other tributaries up above clip their fish?

Brite, you are also correct that there are other places to fish. I just like a couple of those spots early in the run below I5 & between Bonnieville. As the run really gets into swing in April, I fish allot in the Willamette so my techniques do change as the run kicks in.

·
Registered
635 Posts
They are not clipping Wind River fish now. They may begin next year with the new federal laws (read somewhere that any hatchery that recieves federal funds must clip their fish) but as for now only tagged fish (wire tag in the snout) are clipped. Spoke with the bio at the wind hatchery and he said that the wind river fish are the indians fish and the only reason the hatchery exists is to produce fish for the indian net fishery. If this is really the case expect the indians to fight fin clipping tooth and nail. The 4 fish limits on the wind are a good idea if you really havent caught many fish this year, but myself i wouldnt pack 4 of them out of the canyon for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts