IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to take my boat to Wind River and Drano Lake this weekend. Yes, I've heard all the stories about bumper boats and what a circus these spots are, but pulling Mag Warts sounds way easier than trying to figure out how to rig prawn spinners in the Willamette. This will be my first time ever fishing for springers, and I want to keep it simple for now. I've heard the stories about the limited parking, especially at Wind River. Are there any alternative places to launch and park to fish these areas? How about on the Oregon side? From my charts I see that Wind River is about seven miles from Drano. Would it make sense to park at Drano, and after fishing there, go by boat to Wind River? I guess the worst thing would be if the wind really kicked up some big whitecaps, it would be a long seven miles back to my truck at Drano. Any advice on this, or tips for a beginner fishing these areas? Do I need a Washington license for Wind River?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
you need a Wa. license for both. you could launch at stevenson and motor to the wind. To go from drano to the wind I would say no for reasons you stated. From what I`m hearing it has been slow pulling plugs at both drano and the wind, hear that bobber and bait may be the way to go.GOOD LUCK THO!

I always try the wind first, if too windy ( I have a little boat)I go back to drano.

[ 05-21-2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
both draino and the wind have been SLOW but some are being taken. If you bait and bobber the wind be kind to us locals and dont drop your iron in the slot. last weekend about 30 boats are sitting inside the cove pluging up the works. dont have a problem with that kind of fishing but keep in mind that others do drag plugs. if you are in a small boat put in at the spot you plan on fishing its not that bad, but cost $3 but you can use it at eather the wind or draino in the same day. 5/21/03 4 rigs on the hiway at the wind with parking at draino most likely more people this weekend but the main run is upstrem, and the big river s not open good luck and if its bumper boats bump back :grin: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Wind River is still good if you use the right thing. Buy ghost shrimp (2 doz) at BiMart and put a whole bottle of Pro choice shrimp oil on them in a small tupperware like container. For about 3 days turn them over in the fridge twice a day. Then put one at a time on a rogue river setup with gold blade, a slider, and 3 oz on a 3 foot dropper. Fish the 14-20 areas and will almost guartee fish. There are still 2800 a day going over. :cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can motor back and forth if you wantbut they call it the WIND for a reason. I have a 19 ft jet boat and although most mornings are fine by noon thatere can be 3 and 4 ft whitecaps.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
wetonwhite....If I get a pass($3.00 fee) at the wind and do draino later that day, I won`t have to pay at draino?....... last time I went they got me at both places.

[ 05-22-2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
429 Posts
Team Inland,

How deep do you fish for springers with shrimp and bobber? Is it like steelhead fishing where you fish a foot or so off the bottom? Or do you fish some other depth. Thanks.

Sambo

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
could someone clue me in on the bober and bait setup....maybe even a diagram? what size line? hook? what kind of bobber? how is that rigged? lengths? what kind of bait? on a eggloop knot at the hook? sure appreciate it....also any little tricks to it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the only trick with bobber fishing is that the bait needs to be right down near the bottom, rather than suspended like for steelhead. Other than that it is the same deal. Everyone has their special twist though.

3,877 Posts
Just an FYI, I was up there 2 weeks ago and put 3 fish in my boat but I am mostly a "below the Dam" piserman.

All fish can be retained. I almost got thrown out of my boat after my friends from Phoenix & Salt Lake found out about that but I did redeem myself by putting them on some more fish.

Tight Lines.

Ky. Hog Hunter.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone! I was looking at the on-line regulations, and if I am reading it right, the Columbia above Bonneville up to the John Day Dam is open for one keeper sturgeon per day now. Am I reading this right? I may fish for keeper sturgeon if the springers aren't biting. I plan on fishing Wind River all day Saturday. Say Hi on channel 68 if you're there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
thats the wayit was painted for me by the county commisioners but what do thay know if you have the ticket in your window you have it in your window dates the same???but thats just me
just trying to let H2Ofish know that motoring back and forth can be a pain if you dont have to:dork:

dunk no prob with bobing its setting in the slot with the boat :shrug: casting works for me. try drift socks my 17' db does just fine in 20mph wind but then i have a littel exp.on that water:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
waterfish, if the weather is decent, launch at drano early and run to the wind for the early bite. After it slows run back and hit drano for the rest of the time. If its calm on the way down, and picks up later, its not too bad goin with it back up to drano. :cool: Definately shrimp and bobber drano! caught 3 a couple weekends ago between the points of the inlet to the L white salmon. good luck :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts