IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We are headed to Winchester bay (Eel Lake Campground) for 7 days next week. We have never been there before adn would appreciate some info on fishing in that area. I have read some about the sturgeon but I know there are other options also.
Will be taking my boat (20' Jet) and was hoping for some help on whats happening this time of year, what to use etc.
Also how far upriver should we go in a boat never having run that river before? I know its tidal quite a ways up.

Thanks a Lot!!

AL

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Stop at the Reedsport Outdoor Store on you way thru town...they will be able to advise you...and sell you whatever you need. The Umpqua is tidal upstream for about 20 miles. Too early for salmon except right at the mouth, between the jetties. Some stripers are around...try the Smith/Umpqua confluence...fish live bait (shiner or pile perch work well) after dark in shallows...and the coastal lakes have spiny rays and a few trout. I've heard Eel Lk has kokanee but don't know if that is true or not. And, you could try for pinkfin perch in the surf off the Umpqua south jetty road.

Summer is a good time to be on the central coast. :cool:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You oughta have a blast. Salmon fishing is just getting going out in the ocean. Your boat should be adequate if you pick your day and don't cross on the ebb. Just stay close to the south jetty on your way out and you should be alright. Also Eel lake has trout, bass and Crappie in it. Tenmile is about a mile and a half from your campground. There are a plethora of warmwater fish as well as some fat trout this time of year. Plus there's water sports. You definately picked a good time to visit gods country.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
[ 06-25-2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: tailchaser ]

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
My goodness Ryan, "plethora" getting kinda sophisticated here now aren't we. Just kidding. :grin: Anyhow, I guess a good question would be what do you want to do?? There's salmon, crabbing, sturgeon, lake fishing, or bottomfishing just south of you in Coos Bay. What do you want to do the most and we can advise.

tc

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Jim,

I like showing off that fantastic North Bend ejumacation I gots :wink: :cheers:

Besides, I didn't want to run off a list. Lets just say that eveything that shouldn't be there probably is. I'm surprised there aren't carp in the lake, but I guess they'll be next.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
we have been planting hatchery carp in north lake for sometime now :grin: ad and left vent clip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts