IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm taking my father out fishing this up coming weekend at winchester bay , we are planning on dropping some crab pots in the morning, and fishing for salmon from the bay up. i am planning on using some plug cut herring, does anyone have any suggestions, or reports as to how the fishing is down there, i'm not real sure where i should concentrate my efforts.

thanks in advance
hhm

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I fished there last weekend. It was very slow. Not a tap for us and saw only 2 fish caught all day. If you go, stick to the jaws as the fish checker said it was best there. Also I belive that the S.T.E.P. tourny is this weekend and you will have LOTS of company. Get there early to avoid the lines.

Check here daily for updates>>> http://members.fishingworks.com/barber/index.cfm

Good luck!

Jfool :cool:

[ 08-26-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Jett'in Fool ]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think we're still gonna chance it this weekend. what techniques work best at the paper mill, i havent ever fished that area before?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It's upriver about 2 miles. Troll the typical cut plug setup and you should be fine. I was cruising through yesterday and saw people catching fish from the rocks near the jetty using spinners. So there's definitely fish around.

tc

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Use a banana lead instead of a diver, and like TC said, pull cut plugs and spinners. We used to have good luck on Blue Fox spinners from the mill to the 101 bridge. I havent been up that high this year, but last year it worked.

Some people put blades in front of the herring, and dress them up. Pretty much anything flashy has potential down there. If no luck there, throw out a sturgeon rig, may be surprised.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I fished Winchester bay this Monday and Tuesday near the Coast Guard station. Monday was pretty good with lots of bait fish and plenty of Coho. We got three hits and three in the boat. Tuesday was very slow and we only saw one fish caught, we got none. Two of ours took whole herring and one took a wobbler. We did not venture out to the jetty tips due to swell but then we are weenies.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fished there thursday and friday last week, not many fish being caught. Hooked one nook and lost it at the boat. Hooked three silvers and all were nate's. Used spinners for the coho and purple pack herring for nooks. To many people this coming weekend for me, but will be back the following three week ends. I will post for open seats prior to going if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fished there thursday and friday last week, not many fish being caught. Hooked one nook and lost it at the boat. Hooked three silvers and all were nate's. Used spinners for the coho and purple pack herring for nooks. To many people this coming weekend for me, but will be back the following three week ends. I will post for open seats prior to going if anyone's interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts