IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished the Wilson River four times in the last two months. I have been through the "mine field without any problems- though the water level was at around 7 feet. I have heard that this changes when the water level drops and the lower end becomes more dangerous. Any ideas or advice?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My feeling is that if the water level is under 4.3, I avoid that strech of water. I have gone through the mine field at lower levels, but do not recomend it to anyone else. If the water is that low, the lower river fishes better anyway.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
If your at all worried about it .... it only takes about 5 minutes to walk the boat down the north side with waders on. I did this the first few times till I was comfortable with it. Just a thought.

UG

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
4.3 is getting close to skinny, I cut it off at 4.25.
Lotta guys will not float it under 4.75.
The mistake I see a few boats do is to try and pull off the rock just below the chute.
If you point your boat to the N bank just before the drop and give it a good push to the right you will sail past the rock that gets a lot of boats.
If it makes you nervous just take UG's advice, very easy portage on the right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlepeople:

Thanks for your responses to my question. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It all depends on how good your boat drafts and how you oar. If you do not feel comfortable don't do it. Oaring is like fishing! Do the water you are comfortable with. I have done the gauge and the mine field when others would not have. They all require respect and additude. The lower river for the most part holds more fish and you can not spend enough time learning that water year to year. Iam a student of that river for over 25yrs.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
It would be a different river at 4 or 5 than when it was at 7. At 7 you would be sailing right past or over the large rocks.

All these other guys gave you great advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts