IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rowed the Wilson from Vanderzanden to Sollie for the first time. My biggest anxiety going into the trip was obviously the minefield. Launching went perfect, minefield was great as I was able to follow right behind someone.

What ended up being the biggest hair-raiser was the chute just above Siskeyville. That water looked FAST and like it was going to push me straight into that giant boat-flipper of a boulder! I got out and scouted both passages. The lower passage looked shallow if I tried to take it high and like I wouldn't be able to dig my oars in and end up getting spun around. Taking it through the chute seemed like it would be a close encounter with that boulder. Ended up going on the upper path without really any issue. Just a few other boulders to miss but the water was much slower. Plus I knew Id bounce off rather than flip!

Let me know veteran rowers, how do you navigate this? Do you take the lower shoot and dodge the one boulder or do
you opt for the slower water of the upper passage?

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
I rowed the Wilson from Vanderzanden to Sollie for the first time. My biggest anxiety going into the trip was obviously the minefield. Launching went perfect, minefield was great as I was able to follow right behind someone.

What ended up being the biggest hair-raiser was the chute just above Siskeyville. That water looked FAST and like it was going to push me straight into that giant boat-flipper of a boulder! I got out and scouted both passages. The lower passage looked shallow if I tried to take it high and like I wouldn't be able to dig my oars in and end up getting spun around. Taking it through the chute seemed like it would be a close encounter with that boulder. Ended up going on the upper path without really any issue. Just a few other boulders to miss but the water was much slower. Plus I knew Id bounce off rather than flip!

Let me know veteran rowers, how do you navigate this? Do you take the lower shoot and dodge the one boulder or do
you opt for the slower water of the upper passage?
I got my first drift boat a few weeks ago and I’m hoping to take it down the Wilson at some point this season. I’ve only rowed a few times during summer flows on the lower sandy. I’ll probably wait to take it down with a more experienced rower at the helm and swap in when the rowing isn’t technical. Probably won’t be launching up at Vandy this year, but hoping to work my way up by next season. Thinking about starting at Donaldson for my first couple times down until I start feeling more comfortable on the sticks.

· Registered
13,649 Posts
I’ve only had my boat for 8th months but the wilson and nustucca are on my bucket list for this winter I just have never done them. I have floated with people from the old guide shop to Soli once and never on the nustucca what would be a good first time run on those two rivers?

· Registered
1,109 Posts
I’ve only had my boat for 8th months but the wilson and nustucca are on my bucket list for this winter I just have never done them. I have floated with people from the old guide shop to Soli once and never on the nustucca what would be a good first time run on those two rivers?
1st bridge to 3 Rivers is a pretty easy float on the Nestucca. Farmers to Cloverdale is also easy. Don’t go above first bridge until you are comfortable on the sticks, the rock garden in between 3rd bridge and 2nd bridge can be a hairy if your green on the sticks.

· Registered
5,139 Posts
Guide shop to Solie is easy, nothing out of the ordinary and great for beginners.

the take out isn’t Awesome….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts