IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Banned
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew you would look if I posted this. This is just a confirmation of how some people believe that a report will not crown a section of river.

I read a post this week about the carrot crew holding a couple fish at the deadline hole in the Wilson. When I drove down to fish the river this morning I saw 7 cars, of which five were parked at the deadline. this is a classic example of how not to post where and when if you want to fish that area again.

I was not fishing that section of river anyway, but did notice all the pressure it was getting and it was more than likely a result of a report here with a picture of where they were caught.

Now, there may be more to this story than is being told......

I have fished the Wilson river for 20+ years and have yet to catch chrome winter steelhead that high in the system when the water has been low for two weeks..... Maybe those fish were caught in the lower river and it just happened to be a good place to stop and take a picture to present a nice background. but one thing is for sure.......maybe it was the old bait and leave trick?

A picture tells a thousand words!

I think I'll stop in there from now on and have my picture taken in that spot. But I think ill put on my waders to make it look like I was really there. :grin: :grin: :shocked: :shocked:

· Banned
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda makes ya think a little huh? those guys dont look to be dressed for fishing with sweat pants on in 20 degree weather. And where are there vests or fanny packs. only a rod and a fish. the spot the lower picture was taken in is about 1 foot deep and no holes for 150 yards either way, not to mention how close to the road it is? C'mon guys try a little harder than that next time. You can't <lie to> a <big liar>. But it sure did make alot of people stop and fish there today.
hmmm........ lets see, water was at about 4.5 on that day, crystal clear and 33 degrees. Pretty slim pickins in those condition that high up.

if your stil a little confused just look at the fish pics in the post "DEFINE STEELHEAD"

[ 01-12-2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

· Registered
Saltwater
3,666 Posts
Wootersen....my sentiments exactly. :rolleyes:

Lund, I admit I was drawn to your post. HOWEVER, it was only because it said (pics). This is because I enjoy looking at pictures of peoples' success and I hope people continue to post pictures.
They are amusing and fun to look at. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop what I'm doing and fly to that exact river, at that exact location. I could give a rat's <rear parts> where the exact location on a river is. It just tells me that a river is putting out fish.

I wouldn't just jump on the carrot crew either if youre' just going to assume. There are many possibilities as to why they may have taken a picture there. :shrug: Remember what happens when you assume :wink:

Anyway, don't mean to harp on ya, but I think those comments don't show much substance. Also, any decent fisherman won't just run to that location...they would process that information, and use it to create their own conclusion as to where to fish, what river, etc. For instance, "now I know the Wilson is putting out fish, therefor, other coastal river probably are, as well, and I should check out some of those rivers to see what i can pick up"
People can call The Guide Shop, or Nest.Valley Sporting Goods (Ron) and you'll get similar info as one of these posts.
I'm just trying to say that decent fishermen won't flock to each hot-spot like herds of sheep, they'll use and process the information in their own way.
I do agree, however, that sometimes, YES, you will get some <people> that are just weekend-warriors that WILL head to those spots....and that's unfortunate for the rest of us that may fish those areas.
I feel I may be babbling a bit trying to convey what I'm trying to say, :shrug: but hopefully people understand what I was meaning to say.

[ 01-12-2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

· Banned
8,470 Posts
Lund,
whats up with this post? Maybe a crew member did just that! stopped on the way out and decided to get a water shot, or just stripped down and returned to the water for the shot. Been there done that. I rarely put any emphasis as to the background when a post is made..rarely will they hold the real spot anyway..and so you saw 7, 10, 15 cars there :shrug: maybe some read it here maybe not.. :hoboy: :rolleyes:
What I really dislike is a fake post topic with pics for just a chance to get on the soap box and take cheap shots

· Registered
5,683 Posts
LMAO! :laugh: Sooooo..... here is the question...

Were the carrot boys full of BS or is Lund full of BS? Were the carrot boys trying to pull a fast one? Is Lund doing damage control to get people out of his secret winter steelhead honeyhole...??? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh a mystery! :laugh:

UG

[ 01-12-2004, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I certainly agree with keeping a good spot quiet if you want to fish it... We were killing the springers last year, and I posted a few pics and the next dya there were more people there than has ever been. Everyone asking about Ifish... Luckily enough the spot we fish is private, and we are a few that have open permission to fish it. I didn't see the carrot crew's post, but you have to know those guys are a bunch of jokers :laugh: They like a good joke as well as the next guy...

· Banned
8,470 Posts
UG,
my guess is a little of both.. :grin: Heeeerrrreee fishy, fishy, fishy.. :laugh:
Lund..I think this thread will bring more people to the area than the post you spreak of..Ready to hit it UG?? :grin:

· Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't know whether or not they're pulling anyone's leg or not in this instance, but it wouldn't be the first time.

This last spring they (the carrot crew - don't remember which one specifically but think it was bobby then as well) made a post about springer trip in the Tillamook area, bobber fishing from a sled. Well, the picture they posted was taken at Mills Bridge. Not that there's anything wrong with that and as a matter of fact, I think it's pretty darned funny. Internet fisherman are a more and more becoming a bunch of lemmings and if the carrot crew wants to have some fun with that, more power to them!

· Banned
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope everyone fishes that area of the river, it will be great. they dont plant any Hachery fish that high, except brood stock and they only plant about 10% of those.

The highest up they plant hachery fish is mills bridge, yes mills bridge is as high as they plant. so the likelyhood of any planted adipose fin clipped fish that high in the system is as unlikely as where they were caught.

nice try zaq.

But it is funny to see so many flock to a spot after a nice photo like that. I'm going to remember that trick.

· Registered
434 Posts
guess we better close the board down then, in case someone posts a hot spot.......gee whiz!

Maybe there were so many people cause the roads are finally thawed now, and everyone was itchin to wet a line....

Fake post topics......cmon now! That's as bad as bein a snagger! Can't catch readers with a real topic, so it's faked, and the readers are snagged! :rolleyes:

· Banned
19,821 Posts
I think TCM has figured out how to throw off the scent. Posting pictures of your catch in your honeyhole is just asking for company. I see nothing wrong with a little smoke and mirrors action. After all isn't that a part of fishing? When did fisherman become tellers of truth?

salmon hugger

· Registered
414 Posts
Honey hole on the Wilson....hmmm. Being that itis one of the most fished rivers in the state and maybe the northwest...what is the problem with someone posting pictures of it?

I agree with the earlier post. I just like to know that the river is putting out fish. I wouldn't flock to that exact spot...just asking for problems.

Are we going to start seeing people holding up fish with Bonneville Dam in the background to throw everyone off :wink:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.